Cables, cables, cables...any tips? In the market (maybe)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rob303, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

And so it goes...

:cheers:

Long Live Analog likes this.
  2. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

You obviously didn't read ANY of my other posts in this thread. :laugh:

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I did but my memory is poor in that regard.

Apologies :wave:

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have one box over here with a piece of paper that says you're crazy, and another that has a dead cat in it. Surprisingly, there is a moment where I'm not sure which is which!

bluesky, BuddhaBob, Upinsmoke and 3 others like this.
  5. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Lol, summary: Cables and AC power can make or break a system.

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

You can't smell the difference in a blind test?

33na3rd and LeeS like this.
  7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I'm not sure it was my original intention to direct the last bit towards you but it came out that way - I was just trying to say that there's a sound scientific basis for jupiterboy's post about magnetic fields.

If you hear differences with cables, why dismiss possible causes as 'too complicated' and 'completely unneccessary'?

It seems to me that any non-linear phase shift introduced by the cables due to these field interactions would, in theory, produce very subtle comb filtering on the signal presented at the loudspeaker. Whether that would be audible I don't know but if, as some claim, a jitter spectrum resulting from a timing error on the order of a picosecond is audible then maybe it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Except in universes where it doesn't!

I definitely can tell when I smell a placebo.

missan and GuildX700 like this.
  9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I'm on the fence - it's so easy to think you hear an exaggerated difference between separate playbacks when, in an AB, you can barely tell them apart, if at all.

Cables aren't so easy to AB on consumer gear. I can switch between Toslink and co-ax and am not convinced I hear a difference but everything is re-clocked downstream, so... Too many variables and I don't have the motivation to investigate it beyond the occasional comparison.

However, I'm open to the possibility that cables of all varieties could sound different, given the difference I do believe I hear between digital filters, inverted phase, re-clocking, none of which I was sure about a few years ago.

Audio voodoo is a grey area as far as I am concerned - it appears to me that there's some truth in there, along with the baloney.

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Guitar cables are a different animal, much like phono cables, you're dealing with loading, most interconnects for line level don't have that as a huge issue. Speakers even less.

So much hype, so little truth, too much money spent, too little proven results. A sad state of affairs.

beppe and deniall like this.
  11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

So, more often than not.....a very expensive tone control, eh?

Brother_Rael likes this.
  12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

A digital EQ would be a far better option.

A really flexible one in something as simple as Onkyo's HF player app let's you tweak the sound on yer FLAC tracks during playback. FAR better control of the sound. And it's free!

13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

There are a couple of things which are worth thinking about.

First, all cables, even plain wires, measure differently in terms of capacitance, resitence, inductance, etc. Even wires of the same gauge will measure differently depending on material and manufacturing. You can look this up in engineering handbooks. Whether these electrical differences translate into audio differences is something else; many doubters will say that any measurable electrical differences don't affect audio frequencies.

Second, nearly all cable manufaturers make only cables, many very expensive, and there are a lot of cable manufacturers. Given the state of the world's economy over the last 6-7 years, how can all these companies stay in business (and in many cases thrive) if all they are selling is snake oil? Even more, there is a thriving market in used cables, which is great for the consumer but represents (for the most part) lost sales for the manufacturers.

Lonson, LeeS and bradleyc like this.
  14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

A healthy used market is good for cable mfrs as it allows people with budget constraints to try new brands. Eventually they try a new product.

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Regarding the second point, I was in Edinburgh's Loud and Clear hifi shop a few years back just after the crash and was chatting about the then new dcs Scarlatti set.

The guy had just sold one and mentioned in passing that in all his years in the trade, in good and bad times, the people who had money always had it to spare. The Scarlatti he'd sold was his third one of the year. The market will be there.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Snake oil has had a thriving market literally for eons. There is always going to be someone with money willing to spend it on something that seems to them to be a real answer to what in reality is an unanswerable problem. For cables, it's the "promise" of sonic improvement beyond what is in reality, available.

Break out the Mpingo Discs next.

"LP Record Clamp, A legendary Shun Mook product now being made in a very, very limited number. This record clamp is made from extremely rare pieces of dried ebony briar. This extra heavy century old ebony root which were immersed in the swamps of Africa has a unique power that no other wood possesses. The vibration generated by the diamond stylus in the vinyl groove besides inducing an electroflux through the phono-cartridge also excites the ebony molecules, causing it to resonate. This in turn is feed back through the stylus and is reproduced as expanded sound staging, enhanced separation, sharpened focus and enriched tonal balance of the music. Due to the rareness of this timber, there is no doubt that it will become a collector item in the future. " $2,800.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  17. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Will be dependent on the interconnect.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That would Mpinge on one's budget.

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Record cleaning?
    Tips?

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It's more than just a "tone control" IMO. Turning up the bass or treble control does not make music sound clearer or improve resolution.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    DaveC113 likes this.
  21. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Is there something in there you don't understand?

I'm a mechanical engineer and I can tell you the process by which microvibrations are transmitted through material is described accurately.

Also, it is well known that different woods resonate differently and some are termed "tone woods" by musical instrument builders because the resonation they produce are pleasing, exactly like the record clamp.

IMO... give people a little science with no real understanding and it's just as bad as religion.

jeff kleinberg likes this.
  22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Well there you have it, folks. The $2800 record clamp is science, and if you disagree then you can bring it up with science.

BuddhaBob, missan and Gumboo like this.
  23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

So you don't think it's science? How come?

24. missan

missan Forum Resident

I see no science in it, if making money is science well then it is.

25. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Right... the transmission of microvibration has nothing to do with science or engineering.

Some of you folks are mistaking real science for snake oil, as I said if you give people a little bit of science they think they understand everything and they close their minds because they already know it all, when in fact they are completely delusional. It's just like religion.

Rolltide, what you said is pure snark and has no place in any sort of reasonable discussion. The fact it was "liked" by anyone is beyond me, unless laughing at imbecilic statements is the whole point here.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.