Venus & Mars Deluxe McCartney Archive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Arnold Grove, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Totally agree about the apps, freddiebell. They'll lose me at that point, not because I have any moral objection (although I do), but simply because I have no idea how to use the damn things on a pc and don't have a smartphone.

JDeanB, freddiebell, theMess and 3 others like this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Maybe you will have a smartphone 2021 or whenever these releases will come true

3. Paul H

Possibly, but I'd like to listen to my newly remastered, high res, super-duper music on my hi-fi not my phone, regardless of how "smart" it is. I'd also like to look at printed pages rather than my monitor. I spend enough time staring at computer screens as it is.

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That s true- however I don t use my smartphone as a listening device. The 2000 songs I have inside that little thing is handy fir instance whilw I drive my car. Of course through my premium car- hifi.. Bur still I belong to the categiey who prefer music in physical form. But we are a dying breed

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That s true- however I don t use my smartohinecas a listening device. The 2000 songs I have inside that little thing is handy fir instance whilw I drive my car. If course through my premium car- hifi.. Bur still I belong to the categiey who prefer music in physical form. But we are a dying breed

6. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I am the same. But there is no cause to feel that way. If you read a lot of Internet talk they'll have you believing that "physical media" will completely disappear at some point. But it has not happened, and as long as there are humans, it will never happen. Vinyl is now experiencing a resurgence and is being bought by young people precisely because they LIKE having something "tangible" to enjoy, and to interact with it. So not everyone is sold on having their entire world on some tiny Ipod device or cloud somewhere. Many people instinctively love to collect, to browse, to own things. This is a human condition that will never completely disappear.

7. slane

slane Forum Resident

Does your smartphone have spellcheck? ;)

theMess, daveidmarx, Thumper and 4 others like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member Thread Starter

Personal opinion: As long as Paul is alive, I believe that all of his Archive sets will be released as physical products. So I wouldn't worry. Paul really loves the "artwork" involved with the deluxe Archive editions, and money probably doesn't enter into the equation with him (and they have been making $$$ anyhow). He loves to show off Linda's great photos, and it sort of creates a fine-art commodity that can sit side by side with other high-end art books. There might be further electronic and digital entities in the future, but the physical editions will continue if Paul has any say in it.

Arnie

9. Paul H

Here's hoping you're right.

10. Arnold Grove

Hope of Deliverance, guaranteed...

Arnie

daveidmarx likes this.
  11. Frank

Frank Senior Member

You can only imagine how long it took to program smartohinecas and categiey into the custom dictionary. :D

All this consternation over whether you get a digital file on a disc or whether you download it to a hard drive or whether you get it on a thumb drive is overblown, IMO. Today you can burn the files right to the media that makes you happy, and pretty soon you'll be able to 3D print your physical media if you so require. Well, your robot assistant will be able to.

12. Paul H

Whoppie doobie-doobie.

heatherly likes this.
  13. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

It's good to know that the Archive series will continue beyond the first 7 that we were good about in 2010. I would still want them to plug that 1971-73 hole in the reissue campaign before going into the next decade.

Warren Hawk likes this.
  14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Yeah but unfortunately it works in mysterious ways.

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Could you explain? I'm genuinely curious about this. I've always assumed you're a non-native English speaker, but sometimes your posts are extremely difficult to understand, so I simply don't attempt to read them. Since you're a frequent contributor to Beatle-related threads, that seems like it's not an ideal situation...

16. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I doff my cap and raise my glass to you, Sir Arnold!

:edthumbs:

17. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

Couldn't agree with you more :)

JDeanB likes this.
  18. Arnold Grove

You can leave your cap on... but I'll have a glass of whatever you're having. I'll need some "support" because I don't expect Tug Of War and Pipes of Peace to be reissued until late 2015 at the earliest. Maybe they will pick up the pace, but I won't hold my breath hoping.

Arnie

Jerry Horne likes this.
  19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Really a mixture between me sometimes being to fast and my spellcheck workin in different languages. From my heart I am deeply sorry for the incinvenience and pain this has caused. I will try and do better so we might reach a better situation.

Rob Hughes and mrjinks like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I guess very soon you can make a 3D-print of chosen incarnation of Wings and have them perform in your living-room.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Seems to me the McCartney Archive releases are released based on popularity, chart performance and/or sales of each respective record, then they pair it with an associated album, if possible. Otherwise, each album gets a standalone Archive release.

For instance, McCARTNEY was a big hit, but McCARTNEY II was not ... but it was an obvious pairing for dual reissue. Ditto TUG OF WAR and PIPES OF PEACE, respectively speaking. I can see pairing VENUS & MARS and SPEED OF SOUND, although, to me, it's a bit of a stretch.

Of course, I'm just yakking away here ...

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  22. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Perhaps we're putting too much though into it, Paul probably just picks the next albums as he sees fit. If all the Wings albums truly are ready, then I imagine he's got a good reason to bring out Tug of War and Pipes of Peace. The real question we need to be debating now is what will be on the Coming Soon card for those sets ;)

heatherly and rstamberg like this.
  23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

You're probably right.

24. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

I doubt if Paul picks them at all. I think it comes from his "people". All depends on what & how much "stuff" they can come up with. IMO.

25. Arnold Grove

Here is another possibility. It's a long shot --- but the more I think about it, the more I think it really might have played a factor of why Paul and his team are picking Tug Of War and Pipes Of Peace next: George Martin will turn 90 years old (!!) in January 2016. I think it might be a nice way for Paul to highlight George Martin's work on these 2 sets. Presumably, as Martin is still healthy now, they are planning on him making it to 90 years old. But maybe they don't want to risk waiting until he is 95, and they'd rather do them sooner rather than later.

Simple as that, maybe?

Arnie

Dugan, Jerquee, mrjinks and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.