The All-Purpose Guns N' Roses Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stateless, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

I've been in a GNR mood lately too. Probably cuz it's been 10 years since VR came out and rumours of Chinese Democracy.

Does anyone know if the re-recorded version of Appettie (2001?) has been leaked or circulated?

2. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

The 1999 re-recorded AFD has not been leaked. It's rumored that only a handful of people are hoarding it but that hasn't been confirmed. I would love to get the opportunity to hear it though.

3. Eobard Thawne

Someone told me that they had it years ago but convenietly couldn't prove it.

I know Sweet Child Of Mine was on the Big Daddy movie credits. And Black Hawk Down (?) had Welcome To The Jungle, both new versions.

Could they have been from the same 99 session?

4. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Big Daddy indeed have Sweet Child on it. First half of the song was Live Era and the second half had the re-recorded 99 version with Robin Finck doing the solo.

Black Hawk Down didn't have Jungle on it. When the movie producers asked to use Jungle on it, Axl insisted on using the re-recorded 99 version. Slash and Duff nixed that idea and so no version of Jungle was used.

Lots of mystery surrounds the 99 version. I know most people don't want to hear it but I sure as hell do. I would be willing to give up a lot for it. Same for some of the other holy grails such as VMA 2002 rehearsal and the first Vegas show. Someone out there has to have this stuff

5. Eobard Thawne

I heard that Axel wanted the 99 version so that the former members wouldn't get paid royalties (?) supposely.

I'm sure Axel and/or the Label has this stuff, I'm surprised it hasn't leaked out yet online or been bootlegged.

I'm sure too that when either needs/wants money, we'll see this stuff released. www.rollingstone.com has an article about a upcoming
    book that talks about the great lost unreleased albums.

Also just like how Nirvana's live 96 album actually started out as a different album (same songs different shows) then scrapped and we got the different released
    CD. Only a handful promo copies were actually made of the early alt version, but it too has yet to be released or leaked. The working title was
    Verse Corus Verse or something of the like.

6. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I was hoping that they'd have released a 25th anniversary edition of Appetite with the '99 recordings (and maybe a vintage live set or something) because I'm definitely curious to hear them. I think I read somewhere that "Anything Goes" was dropped in favor of "November Rain" and maybe something else, but I'm not sure.

I dunno if it's just me, but I couldn't care less about the original line-up reuniting, but I wish they would at least be able to put some of the crap aside so we could get some archival releases.

7. Eobard Thawne

They did do a 25th annversary of AFD but it was the exact same pressing in a box w/ a belt buckle or something.

Not even remastered, though I can't imagine it being better w/ today's brickwallin.

Chinese Democracy could very be a box set as well w/ all the different mixes/versions.

8. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I just paid way too much for Live Era on vinyl. But, after seeing them in Seattle....I just pretended I bought like 10 xtra shirts.

The seller (I know & have bought from him before) had an original Spaghetti orange vinyl copy as well (also way overpriced) - so I grabbed that as well.

So, my GNR collection is now complete my 'bad obsession' continues.

I cherished the show I recently went to, & will cherish my new additions as well.

Hoping this band keeps it going. :)

9. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Been wanting a copy of Live Era on vinyl for ages. Wayyyyy too much money. I have a Korean Spaghetti pressing, not bad. So how does live Era sound on vinyl?

LitHum05 and Clanceman like this.
  10. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I'll let you know next week. I'm away for a few days & ordered it online from a guy I know who's local to me, and a big seller online (recordsbymail) - so I should have it when I get home on Sunday.

I know it's a lot. But, I've been listening to the CD version more in the past couple weeks than I ever did since its release, & have really grown to love it more & more.

My other justification is - after these 2 vinyl pieces, that's it. Not hard to complete their catalog - haha, I just had to get over that one hump.

Looking forward to Spaghetti as well. I'm assuming it'll sound like your Korean?

Hoping we get a nice live set from this current tour. Will be nice to compare the eras.

LitHum05 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  11. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Yeah. Ill see them in Medellin Colombia on 11/23.

Clanceman likes this.
  12. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I think it would be borderline criminal if they don't record a new album. Slash is playing at an insane level, Axl is singing well onstage so I have no doubt he could bring it in the studio. These guys just belong together. I don't have a huge issue with Axl singing for AC/DC, but I listened to an Axl/DC bootleg and he just doesn't sound at home in that band. Which makes perfect sense, it's not his band. And I'd be lucky to put together an ep of good songs Slash has done since leaving GnR; love the guy but he needs HIS singer, Axl Rose.

Chinese Democracy is better than anything the rest of them have done post Guns. I want to love Slash's solo work, Duff's various projects, Velvet Revolver, but it's all so what the F ever! The only album from a former member that can compete with Chinese Democracy is the first Ju Ju Hounds album, and that's 24 years ago. Izzy hasn't released anything nearing that consistency since.

Szeppelin75 and Clanceman like this.
  13. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Whole post is great.

LOVE what you say here especially. Agree 1000%

JuJu Hounds, underrated classic!!

They are bringing it big time. They've reignited my love to no end.

14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

NICE!!!

15. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I'm on side 4B. Been A/B'ng throughout night.

Nice, wide soundstage, clarity in bass & drums, minor improvement in midrange (cd not so bad here).....some songs more noticeable difference - Patience, for instance. Acoustic parts. Estranged is another - vocals seem more clear & out front. But drums/bass all over record are great. Cranking the hell out of it.

Coma coming up.

On to Spaghetti US original next. :)

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I love Spaghetti Incident more now than I ever have. The original vinyl kills the cd. Underrated record.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  17. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Going to the San Diego show tomorrow! The Dodger Stadium show on Saturday was mind blowing, they are all rockin' harder than they have in years, it makes me so happy to have the "real" Guns N' Roses vibe back again. Even though its not the exact lineup that was on Appetite or even for the UYI tour, having Slash and Duff back in the mix has turned GNR back into what it should be.

Axl is killing it vocally right now too BTW, what he is doing right now is very impressive and I am totally happy with how awesome he sounds this year

Clanceman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.