Ever cry at a concert?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

No. Always had a good time.

2. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Cried at a few concerts over the years...last time I cried was Neil Young at Carnegie Hall this past January.

Easily one of the best shows I've ever seen...so powerful watching all that history come pouring out of him in such an intimate setting.

Fullbug and RonW like this.
  3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I cried at a ballet. Recently I had the chance to see Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake in St. Petersburg, Russia. My late father used to list to music from the ballet all of the time in the house and it was very emotional to hear it.
    The dancing and music was superb.

4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I think I cried entering my credit card info last time I bought Stones tickets

5. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

6. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

So...Bruce Springsteen.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Twice... watching Macca in 2002 doing a tribute to Lennon. That was tough.

Second time, watching Dylan outdoors at a summer show in Oregon with my wife (first time show for her) and he performed a moving version of working man blues #2. I was overwhelmed with emotion.

8. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Only once. I lit a joint and passed it. It never came back . . .

9. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Saw a violinist repeatedly wipe his eyes with a handkerchief at an orchestral concert. The story goes that Tchaikovsky composed Violin Concerto In D and presented the score to the leading violinist in Europe, who studied it and called it "unplayable." At the concert I attended, the violin was played flawlessly by a Japanese woman less than 25-years-old, standing center stage in a glamorous red dress. The male violinist in the orchestra knew he was watching a remarkable performance he couldn't equal.

Paul P. likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

one time because of the band. last year lynyrd skynyrd when they did "freebird" and they start the song with a gold eagle on top of a piano and footage of billy powell playing the opening piano part. then they show all of the members of the band who have passed on. that was pretty touching

a few times this year i did at a few concerts because of the songs being played but it had more to do with emotions of my wife leaving me this year then anything the band actually did

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:laugh:

12. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Ever cry at a concert? Why sure, I inadvertently ended up in the mosh-pit at a Megadeth concert and got twatted in the balls. Just recalling that precise moment still brings tears to my eyes......!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Fullbug likes this.
  13. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

yes, when someone stole my beer.:realmad:

Fullbug likes this.
  14. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Simon and Garfunkel, the Central Park concert. I lost it when they went into America. That song has just deeply registered with me since I was a little kid.

15. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I haven't cried but my eyes definitely watered when I saw McCartney a few years ago, Jeff Beck also, and when we saw Leonard Cohen recently and he recited his poem A Thousand Kisses Deep. We weren't alone on that one. Tears all around.

16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Cried tonight at a Demi Lovato concert.

She sings Let It Go, and on the big screen, a condensed version of the film (very condensed) plays. It was all pretty dramatic and overwhelming, and managed to get a few tears out of me.

17. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I listened to a recent Brian Wilson concert in the car this evening.... I damn near cried at how bad "That's Not Me" was.

Brian, what are you doing?? :-( Like, I was genuinely upset to hear those songs get such a fate.

18. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

when The Who did the Quad tour in '12...

i had seen the '96 show (for my 16th birthday), and that was more of a straight play of the story on the album. but for the '12-'13 tour, Pete and Roger did Quad as more of an abstract, up-to-date, immediately relatable thing. you know, you take away all the mods, scooters, blues, ace faces, etc. you have a simple story about a boy just trying to figure out his way in the world.

anyway...when they got to "The Rock," it was basically set to a sequence of visuals that acted as a postwar history, and parallel to that, a history of The Who.

so when they showed the towers falling on 9/11, followed by images of John Entwistle (signifying his passing)...somehow they pulled it all off without seeming tacky. and it hit me...these guys are getting older. they're getting ready to say goodbye.

i don't know that i cried. i know i got a lump in my throat that i didn't expect going into the show that night, being intimately familiar with the Quad album.

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I saw her the same tour, in Phoenix on August 19th, 1994 (my memory's not that good - the setlist is here: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tori-amos/1994/symphony-hall-phoenix-az-3bd440dc.html). I was pretty broke in high school and college - we lived in Phoenix and didn't even have a car - so I'd only been to 2-3 concerts in my entire life. When she played "Teen Spirit" you coulda heard a pin drop.

I didn't tear up that night though - I went nuts and was clapping and hootin' and hollerin' between tracks. Probably annoyed the living hell out of the people around me. Sorry! :hide:

True story - I read an interview conducted over a decade later with Amos where she said that night was a lowpoint in her life. Here I was on a contact high and there she was up on stage in agony. Hopefully it wasn't my stupid hollering that triggered it!

Just makes you wish you could share your good mood with others - I had a lot to spare that evening.

20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I've only ever teared up twice at a live event, apart from a funeral. (Hint: don't offer to speak at the funeral of someone who raised you, especially when they're the first close relative who's passed away. Disaster.)

The first event of all places was last year during the final encore Pet Shop Boys played over at The Fox in Oakland. They hauled out The Village People's "Go West", which of course they'd transformed back on '92's Very into this darkly ironic AIDS anthem, sort of an uplifting disco dirge. I started thinking about all the people we'd lost since then - famous and not so famous - and about how relevant their recast rendition of "Go West" remains. Irony of ironies, a track the late Derek Jarman encouraged them to perform perhaps as a kitschy cover for a charity event is probably the most emotionally powerful thing they'll ever produce. And here they were, playing it for us as far west as you can get in America, and anyhow I just lost it and teared up a bit.

JL6161 likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Brits are also responsible for the only other time I've teared up at a live event, and this one was an even bigger surprise:

I found the whole event somewhat depressing - not because Python were bad during the show (I thought they were hilarious - at their best when things went a bit wrong) or because they're old - but because culturally there's nothing to really replace them. Nobody has that particular combination of smart and sarcastic and that ability to lampoon the absolute insanity of everyday life. And that realization made me incredibly sad.

But thank god John Cleese can now pay his f*cking alimony!

dartira likes this.
  22. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

No crying, but big lump in my throat during Cortez when I saw Neil & the Horse this summer. Insanely beautiful guitar playing by the old man.

Sean Sandoval likes this.
  23. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

No. Crying is for funerals.

24. Sean Sandoval

Sean Sandoval Senior Member

The first time I saw Kathleen Edwards live in '08, I was going thru post-breakup syndrome and the song Copied Keys really hit home. I might have shed a tear!

25. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

Kate Bush....and I was far from alone in that

HectorBoeksky and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.