The Turtles' Elenore

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by klaatubob, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klaatubob

klaatubob New Member Thread Starter

I recently heard Elenore on the radio, and it was a very different mix from the hit version. It was the finished music track, but the vocal was so drenched in reverb (while the rest of the mix was not) that it jumped right out of the stereo at me.

Does anyone know where this version is sourced from?

2. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

Could be a radio mix used back then. Sometimes radio mixes would be drastically different from a single mix, or album track mix. Not so much anymore, but back in the day, definitely.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I love that Turtles' album. It deserves some deluxe treatment!

4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Yes....love Battle Of The Bands.
    It's annoying that it and their other records are out of print on CD, let alone that deluxe versions would be great.

Revolver likes this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Great performance - I'd love to listen to that 'alternate'

7. Myke

See if this is it : http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...er-stereo-versions.330370/page-3#post-9453565

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I can sometimes still be amazed when something pops up like an alt mix or whatnot when it comes to my favorite artists that I've obsessed getting every little version of. However, I don't think there are any other versions of this song besides the difference between the stereo lp version and the mono 45 mix. I'd love to be wrong. I'd love to hear more Turtles rarities.

9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I imagine that a made-for-radio mix made in 1968 would probably not show up on modern terrestrial radio unless it's a theme show, like Little Steven's Garage show. But yeah- I'd like to hear it too.

10. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

Well you never know. Just an idea anyway

11. Myke

OP hasn't been back since he posted this, but I think he was just hearing the reverb on the example link I posted above.

12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

That's why I like listening to old radio airchecks from time to time. You get to hear those unique mixes!

13. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Flo & Eddie,Inc. had reissued all the Sundazed CDs under their own company's logo,on CD and Mp3 Downloads,as I just gotten the first 3 recently! The Real collector's manna is "Turtle Soup" which has tracks from the aborted "Shell Shock" Album that was finally issued on Rhino in 1987! You can get those CDs on amazon.com,all in stock all with Bonus Tracks,with the first two in Mono And Stereo!

lemonade kid likes this.
  14. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

The 2 that isn't on CD "Shell Shock" and "Charlon Road" was supposed to be reissued on Lp last Year,according to Howard Kaylan's Twitter Page.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

All those "CD" reissues are Amazon CD-R burned CDs on demand. Not interested in that....

rxcory likes this.
  16. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I was going to say, hmmm, wonder why nothing is listed on Sundazed's web page.

17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Yes. I have been looking for Battle of the Bands on Cd for 3 years. The Sundazed is going for insane prices, and I am not paying $15.00 for a CD-R.

18. Myke

19. Luke The Drifter

[Shakes fist at MYKE through computer screen] :)

Myke likes this.
  20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

If you have amazon prime, they are free to listen to through their cloud.

21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm a HUGE Turtles fan and I have almost all of their stuff on CD!

In my iTunes library, I just listened to two different mono versions of "Elenore", one is from my CD copy of "Happy Together: The Very Best Of White Whale Records" on "Varese Sarabande" and it is fairly saturated in reverb, while the other version is from my CD copy of "Elenore" (Which is the import version of "The Battle Of The Band" album, with a bunch of bonus tracks, including the mono singles of "You Showed Me" and "Elenore", on "Repertoire") and it doesn't have the reverb, but not quite the same mono punch, as the link that MYKE added earlier in this thread!

Speaking of great sounding Turtles, I just found this link that has a pretty damn fine "stereo" mix of "Happy Together", from an old LP comp on "SIRE", which I know that I've got around here somewhere! "Happy Together" in "stereo" usually sucks and I would otherwise go for my original "promo" White Whale 45 for this song, but I actually like the "stereo" mix that I'm hearing in the following link and I'll have to do my own needledrop of it, as soon as I have some spare time!

stereoptic likes this.
  22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

For favorite songs, other takes are always interesting, like "Yakety Yak" or "Runaway" or the two versions of "Look Of Love", but the 'hit' version is invariably the song perfected.

23. Myke

Just PM my son (forum member Chrys) when you see his " My Dad Is Dead " thread, and tell him you want all the Turtles CDs, and he'll be more than fair, plus he packs shipments "bomb proof." :thumbsup:
    Now how long this will take, I have no idea, but I'm completely serious. Things are going to sell very cheaply, but he doesn't want to move it all, and it's all profit to him, and I want everything to go to guys that'll appreciate it.

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Not that I'm hoping that your leaving us anytime soon MYKE, but, should I give your son my address now, so he start pre-addressing the boxes? :laugh:

25. Luke The Drifter

Hopefully you will be with us long after I track down this elusive disc my musical friend.

Myke and Chrys like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.