Poll: what do you think of "Electronic Sound" by George Harrison?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rocker, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member Thread Starter

Having only just heard Electronic Sound for the first time last night, I thought it would be interesting to see what other people think of the album, and whether or not they're fans of the electronic genre to begin with. I'm a big electronic/ambient fan, which is sort of what led me to check out this album in the first place. I'm a Harrison fan as well, but I probably wouldn't have ever bothered with Electronic Sound if I didn't also have an interest in the electronic genre.

Discuss!! :)

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Its a neat experiment but not something I feel the need to listen to often. Cool Beatle curio. Nifty cover. Better than Lennon's noise.

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nice cover. I have listened to the lp twice in about 35 years I have had it. When the box arrives I will listen to the cd. Checked not a fan of electronic music but I wouldnt say I actually dislike it, and this album is worse than most I have heard.

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

My understanding is that Bernie Krause doesn't like it.

drasil, kevintomb, Shawn and 6 others like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Avant got a clue...

But I agree: nice cover.

Arnie

Chip TRG, CMcGeek, theMess and 2 others like this.
  6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I like the album and avant garde music.........but don't play it nearly as much as Unfinished Music 2/Life with the Lions.

Folknik and Rfreeman like this.
  7. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

I've never heard it, but if it turns out to be any good, I'll be straight back here claiming I liked it all along.

JDeanB and nicotinecaffeine like this.
  8. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I listened to it twice. That's enough

Nick Dunning likes this.
  9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I've owned it since 1976 and have probably played it 100 times. Bought the CD a few years back on Canadian Zapple. Nice background to have on while reading or futzing about on the house. I like it for what it is...an experiment in sound. You can call me a fan.

Platterpus, Folknik and mogambotek like this.
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Can't say I like or dislike it. It is an experiment.

11. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Never heard it.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I WILL say, I was a fan for the 'hunt' for this album.
    Back in the '80's, out of the blue, Record World had a Japanese import of it....
    I didn't care WHAT it sounded like, I just knew it was hard to find...
    So, for me, the reward of OWNING it gives me a greater pleasure that what it sounds like.

13. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

For good reason.

Platterpus and Robin L like this.
  14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"Synthesist Bernie Krause later pursued legal action against Harrison, claiming that "No Time Or Space" (LP side two) was essentially a recording of him demonstrating the Moog III to Harrison (this is detailed in Krause's book Into a Wild Sanctuary). Krause also claimed that the demonstration was recorded without his knowledge or consent. Krause's name was originally credited on the front cover under Harrison's cover credit, but it was painted over at Harrison's insistence[citation needed]. Despite this, the words "Assisted by Bernie Krause" can still be read from under the silver ink on the original LP pressings."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Sound

izgoblin, Platterpus, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  15. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of electronic music and bought it when it first came out, have it on CD as well. For the most part it's random noodling, no compositional ideas at all. I enjoy one side more than the other. There is a 10 second segment that I like very much. I do listen to it once or twice a year. It's my favorite Zapple release!

Platterpus, CMcGeek and dylankicks like this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I prefer parts of Life With the Lions, but Cambridge 69 I find harder to listen to end to end than Electronic Sound. I definitely prefer Two Virgins or the Wedding Album.

CMcGeek likes this.
  17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

This is pretty much how I feel. It's a shame that this might be the only experience some have with electronic music due solely to the Beatles connection.

Platterpus likes this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Some experiments are successful, some others aren't. Electronic Sound is fine. I think, though, that hadn't it been released by an ex-Beatle, we wouldn't be discussing it nowadays.

19. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I like it but I'm not a massive fan of electronic music.

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Electronic beeps and farts. I'll pass. (but I do have the vinyl album! Completist sickness)

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Owning it definitely brings me more pleasure than listening to it

22. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yeah, Stockhausen it's not.

Platterpus likes this.
  23. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

It felt surreal seeing it at Walmart. I bought it for a dollar back in the 1970s on Zapple 8-track and feel that perhaps some things should be left out of print.
    Is Wonderwall Music worth $11.88? I do not think Electronic Sounds is.

Lewisboogie and CMcGeek like this.
  24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I picked "Other". I don't think that it's as mad as some make it seem, but it's not something that I'll revisit on a regular basis.

25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

OTHER: Even though I'm a longtime fan and completest of Beatles/Solo, I have never played this album! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.