The Chameleons Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by haastilecreation, Aug 12, 2011.

1. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Great news, since I missed it the first time around. Does anyone know where the best deal to get this for USA buyers would be?

2. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Very cool group from the 80's, I have almost all their vinyl and cd's, very underrated band. I read that the singer was a big fan of the Beatles and John Lennon. There's a few videos up on YouTube and a concert video of almost a whole show taped back in the mid 80's.

3. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I remember buying that when it came out, sadly I was disappointed in it.

4. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Better then U2, I like that they stayed underground, made it more of a cool thing like most of those 80's new wave groups. You had to be in-the-know.

5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I prefer chameleons than beatles! (I dont compare them... I just say, personal taste ;)

6. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Bump. Anyone know where the best place to get the new pressing of Script of the Bridge in the USA? Ordering it from the Chameleons site ends up being almost $60 with shipping from the UK. Ouch!

7. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Its expensive everywhere. So for now I have the DGD CD, the loud recent remaster and the 2012 remaster (the better one) on Amazon MP3.

My best for now is the Dead Good Dead version.

8. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

That's too bad it's so expensive. I saw it on US ebay from grandeagleretail for $36 but they pulled their listing before I pulled the trigger. It said they had 10 copies but I'd guess that their order fell through.

I have the original Statik CD (I think) and an abbreviated US copy on vinyl.

9. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I had problems with the 2012 remaster Amazon MP3s where they did not match the 2012 mastering on the physical disc. I bitch and moan about it here at hydrogenaudio. I think Amazon took it down for a while so their files may have been corrected. You might check yours. For what it's worth though, I didn't think it was anything special over the original STATIK release, IMO. Everyone should definitely avoid the 25th anniversary CDs though, unless you want the bonus tracks.

10. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Save up for that double LP pressing. Skip getting coffee for a couple weeks, forgo eating lunch out, walk instead of filling up the tank... whatever it takes - you will be so glad you did. The 2 cd set is good only for the live show, which I feel is worth the price alone as I've found that shows and/or sound quality from that era are spotty, and this one delivers on both counts. But, most importantly - get that double LP.

BeauZooka likes this.
  11. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Got the vinyl repress in the mail today from Blue Apple Music. I must say it could have been better protected before mailing it. Several corners were bent and the vinyl had sawed through the inner sleeves during transport. Vinyl itself looked great. Looking forward to listening.

12. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I just ordered the double Script vinyl through US ebay for $36 shipped new!
    FYI: If you are in europe the Chameleons site is having a 20% off everything sale just thru the end of august. Use the code: MONKEYLAND

13. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Send out an SOS plea
    Come quickly
    I'm marooned in monkeyland

BeauZooka likes this.
  14. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

saw them in, i think, 1986, supporting "Strange Times" here in Boston, and i have ZERO memory of anything about the gig….i think it was at the old Spit club, or Metro maybe….sad that i don't recall anything, and it's nothing to do with drugs or drink!

15. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I saw them on the same tour in Seattle but I remember a little more. Pure Joy (local) & Mighty Lemon Drops (bored me) opened. The Chameleons were quite intense that night but not happy. Mark was pissed and put his mic stand thru a monitor at the end of the show. I recall Soul in Isolation being particularly powerful. Despite the bad vibes they were an incredible live juggernaut that night.

Jerry James likes this.
  16. manicpopthrill

Anyone know if there were any other songs recorded during the reunion that didn't end up on WCIA? Seems strange that there weren't any outtakes, b-sides, demos, etc.

17. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Small clarification: I meant Mark was pissed off angry, not pissed drunk.

18. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I finally got the Script double vinyl yesterday and it sounds as good as advertised, even on my budget system.
    The sound is as open and natural as I would figure this recording could sound. My US MCA vinyl sounds annoyingly midrangey in comparison. The cover is kind of lame, thin cover stock, no gatefold and lesser alternate cover - but whatever, it sounds really great!

Jerry James likes this.
  19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I just placed an order for this as I had no idea it was available. Hope the shipping gods protect the copy! Also picked up an acoustic CD for no reason other than to buy something digital too.

By the way, they just announced on Facebook a Chameleons Vox tour in the US....cities have been announced but not dates or places.

20. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Was finally able to get my copy of Script of the Bridge on my turntable last night. Indeed a must buy for any plastic turning fan, the drums are actually the most impressive part...which surprised me the most. Any fan of post punk 80s should grab this before it disappears. Was also disappointed the record cover was damaged, but oddly enough the packaging was fine...I think these came bent from the factory. However, the records inside were pristine and after a wash sounded good with very little background noise...these were pressed very well. you get three songs per side which is fine by me...not a bad song on this record. Don't think about it...get it.

Jerry James and manicpopthrill like this.
  21. manicpopthrill

Very few bands could keep up with the Chameleons in the 80s. Why it took so long for the reissuing of their catalog remains a mystery. I could only get a cassette of this album when I first got into them.

Stuart S likes this.
  22. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

The ultimate coolest band from the 80's.

Jerry James and Stuart S like this.
  23. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

If you read this interview with Mark from earlier this year, it would seem record labels are preventing the reissues... http://www.noripcord.com/features/interview-mark-burgess-chameleons

24. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Thanks for the interview link! Too bad about Geffen putting the kibosh on the Strange Times vinyl. Hopefully WDAMB will be reissued on vinyl eventually.

25. manicpopthrill

Jim B., BeauZooka and Seagull like this.