Record stores in Toronto

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by 120dB, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think Sonic Boom sells them (used pre-recorded) and blanks.

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes, I was there perhaps a year ago.

Gone? I hope not.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That store is only a 15 minute walk from my house and I keep meaning to pay a visit. I've walked by it enough times! The last time I walked by I think they were still working on it somewhat as it looked a little sparse but that was about 3-4 weeks ago.

Yeah they definitely have pre-recorded. I think I saw blanks but can't recall for sure.

4. Mississauga: Ric's Recollections (Lakeshore Rd in Port Credit)
    Burlington: Looney Tunes (Brant St - north of Lakeshore)

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Ric is a nice guy, but boy does he overprice so so vinyl.

6. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

As I write this, Vortex has never been better. They are getting some excellent collections in regularly and I've been finding some great stuff there in excellent condition for very reasonable prices.
    The staff couldn't be nicer.

Sonic Boom, on the other hand, while having some nice staff has really gone down in quality. Probably because they 'lowball' everyone who sells to them and word has gotten around. It's a shame because a few years ago, they had a much better selection of used CD's at better prices in better condition.

Vortex are fair in every way. They're the best in the city right now; hands down!

ZootAllures likes this.
  7. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

I was in Kops last weekend and they are opening a second location on Bloor - just west of Bathurst.

The building Sonic Boom is in "Honest Ed's" has been sold - I expect another condo tower and yet another move for them.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I really like Vortex. Lincoln is great to deal with. Fair prices as well. Easily the best in the city IMO. He is selective in what he buys but does pay more than others.

I just wish I lived closer! He posts recent additions on his Facebook page and they always go pretty fast. He has some loyal customers who seem to be able to pop into the shop aa moments notice. They either don't have day jobs or work next door. :)

The thing about Sonic Boom at one time is they bought almost anything you brought in. I think people were ok with the lower prices because they would take most of what you brought in whereas other places would be far more selective. But I'm pretty sure they stopped that.

Kops has a decent selection at their Queen St store. I knew they were opening another one but wasn't sure where. Interesting that they're going to open near Sonic Boom. But it is a very young, studenty area around there so makes sense.

Sonic Boom - the building hasn't been sold yet I don't think but it will definitely go. I haven't been in there for a very long time but my friend goes regularly. They've been decreasing the cd section and increasing the lp section (which Rotate has done as well) for some time. They don't pay well either but no one really does anymore. Vortex will probably give you the best prices but they are selective in terms of what they buy cd wise. I do visit their vinyl only Kensington Market store from time to time. They never have much of anything I want in decent quality. Actually, they mainly have new records. One thing I will give them is that they are one of the only, actually I think only, store that carries MFSL and APO lps.

There's a record store on Queen St East which is great. I think it's called Five Guys Records or something like that. They have a great selection of stuff that I don't normally see in other places. No one in this city has Lucio Battisti lps besides them :)

Cosmos on Queen St (two locations) is also worth a visit. Their selection is amazing, especially if you happen to visit when they get a new load of records in and I mean a big load (thousands). They let customers go through them for a few weeks before it all goes to the warehouse and is trickled into the stores. The prices can vary but they do tend to lean to the higher side. But then again you won't find some of their rarities anywhere else in the city. Last time I was there they had a sealed Hendrix AYE? not an original mind you but a very early press. You won't see stuff like that elsewhere in the city. The Beatles stuff he had was pretty amazing. But expect to pay for it. But I bought some mint stuff and paid decent prices for it so it's not all ultra high end lp collectibles. Definitely worth a visit. They basically get most of their stuff from the US. They buy up collections down there and ship them up here, which is why they get a lot of great US pressings.

Repeter13 likes this.
  9. He does, yes! Luckily I'm not in the market for much used vinyl any longer, so it doesn't really affect me. I still support him though as he's local and I prefer doing business with our own B&M shops.

10. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

AndrewS, eddiel and jimod99 like this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Handy map!

You should check out Ric's Collectibles (not Recollections!). I just happened upon it one day while browsing around various Queen St E stores. It's next door to Machine Age Modern and in the basement of Daniel's Jewelers at 1006 Queen St East. I think they might be called Five Guys Records as I'm sure that's what the guy told me they were called but I can't really find them online but I did find a Ric's Collectibles reference on yelp at this location. There's no sign other than one of those temporary sidewalk billboards so the shop is easily missed. They have a lot of records and a great selection.

12. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

Oops, will correct that - and Lincoln from Votex has a map of independent stores - with the details about 5 guys IIRC - will have to check it out.

Thanks!

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Thanks for that tip. I kind of recall seeing that map ages ago but forgot about it, or maybe I convinced myself I saw it and forgot about it! :)

I always have vague plans to spend a weekend hitting up every record store in Toronto but I never get around to it. :)

14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

15. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

It's a block and a half west of Bloor and Bathurst on the north side of Bloor - there was a brown striped awning over the entrance - there's no obvious sign either - which makes it easy to miss.

Even with the address (492 Bloor St W) I missed it the first time by.

16. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

Ok, map updated - and added Good Records - there is another shop on Ossington I'm going to check out after work called LP's LPs - and another 'She Said Boom' on College to check out.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  17. Muddy Holly

Muddy Holly Senior Member

Sounds like right about where Peter Dunn's Bloor Street store was located years ago, west of Markham St.

18. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

She Said Boom; I say pass...

Repeter13 likes this.
  19. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

Their 45s are decent - but ya

20. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I live a minute away from LPs LPs. They have more records downstairs. Not a bad place really. Worth a visit IMO unless you're looking for classic rock :)

They have 45s? I don't recall seeing 45s at She Said Boom on College. I don;t collect 45s so wasn't really looking. :) But I've picked up some good stuff there in the past but I haven't been there in almost a year I don't think. I generally go in if I have the chance.

Also, Planet of Sound have moved. They're at Queen & Ossington now.

22. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

Yes - excellent shop - they have some rock as I found Pink Floyd 'A Saucer Full Of Secrets' amongst other goodies. More hip hop, electronic and a ton of DJ 12"s.

I've picked up copies of Led Zeppelin 'Immigrant Song' and loads of Beatles singles at the She Said Boom on Roncesvalles - was hoping for something similar is at the College location.

Need to update Planet of Sound too.

23. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

Ok, map updated to include 'She Said Boom' on College - pretty meh for records - but it's a bookstore too and has its merits as such. As well I added 'Around Again' on Baldwin @ Beverly, which I'd missed for whatever reason, solid Jazz and classic rock selections. I find their prices a bit on the high side, but the staff was excellent. As an example I was able to purchase a belt for my Thorens TD 160S based on some quick research they did while I waited - and that fixed the speed issues I'd been having. I will be back there - though they have some odd opening hours.

24. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

LP's LPs has moved from Ossignton Ave north of Queen to Dundas W at the Roncesvalles split. The old location was tiny, and the move to a larger place is welcomed.

Sonic Boom has consolidated at 215 Spadina, and there is the brand new Tiny Record Shop at Queen & Broadview - http://www.tinyrecordshop.com/

25. I think I'll visit a couple of the ones on Queen St tomorrow or Saturday since I'll be at TAVES anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.