Are there currently any AV receivers that decode HDCD?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vegafleet, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have to replace my broken OPPO player, which I used mainly for HDCD (let's not go and discuss the merits please). I wondered if instead I should buy a receiver to do the job (decoding HDCD) from a digital output out of any player.

I can't seem to find any. I do not want to buy used, so it should be preferably available new.

Any suggestions?

(To be fair, the OPPO died due to an accident, not because of product failure. I was a happy owner for 6 years of a $189 player, so no complaints there.)

2. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Use dBpoweramp on the PC to decode HDCD into 24 bit files.

3. vegafleet

Thanks, elvis, but I am looking for something to go into my main stereo. I do very little listening at the PC, plus I think I can use Windows Media Player to listen to HDCD, but that does not interest me.

4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Would only be giving the results of a Google search but was this thread
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/list-of-hdcd-compatible-players.312005/

5. vegafleet

Thanks, Colin. Alas, those are all players, and I am looking to find a receiver that does the decoding so that I can use any player that has a digital output.

6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

None that I'm aware of, it's part of the player side, one way as described above would to take the files and burn them to a dvd

7. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

I believe some of the older NAD AV receivers have this capability. I have a 753 and I believe it decodes it. NAD has a poor track record lately. I have had mix luck with them.

8. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

My Marantz SR5005 decodes HDCD, but I believe this functionality has since been removed. Worth investigating.

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Perhaps Denon, they kept it even after it was dropped from Marantz

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Rip to 24-bit files, store them on a network attached storage device that supports DLNA (Western Digital sells one), along with the rest of your music collection as FLAC or ALAC files, and stream using DLNA to any Blu-ray player or other playback device that supports it. Many receivers will stream DLNA as well, and decode FLAC and ALAC, so you don't even need another device beyond the receiver.

And you don't need to leave your PC on all the time - the external network drive handles it all.

11. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Denon 3808CI decodes a whole bunch of codecs, among them HDCD. I have a Sony 5400 connected via HDMI, so any HDCD is decoded by the receiver.

vegafleet and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.