Interstellar - Christopher Nolan

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Delayed to 2015. IMDb

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Noooooooooooo!

mikeyt likes this.
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

link? I don't see anything on the movie's Facebook page indicating a change in release date.

4. alexpop

Sorry my bad...
    From Imdb's pesky message board.
    Looks like a hoax.

mikeyt likes this.
  5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Signs meets Contact meets True Detective?

--Geoff

6. alexpop

Poltergeist / Contact / L.A. Confidential :)

7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Something/someone must come back, since it appears that Jessica Chastain plays the grown-up Murph.

John K.

8. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Don't forget Stargate.

9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I have mixed feelings about how good this could be, but it still has me more intrigued than most stuff these days. I do hope it doesn't end up seeming as "Contact-ish" as the trailer kind of feels.

10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I still don't totally get it: they're running out of food and other natural resources, so they're going into space because... ? Is there a McDonald's drive-thru on Alpha Centauri or something?

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Nolan should edit Interstellar like the he did with the Joker holding the people hostage when Harvey Dent is locked unconscious in the closet and Batman jumps from the window to save Rachel and then it jumps to the next day.

Start the movie with a scene of Mcconaughey saying "the Earth is out of food" and then jump to a scene of Hathaway saying "we found a place to grow food, we are saved" and then roll the credits.

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

I guess we'll find out :-plnktn-: :pineapple:,I'm fully expecting all known laws of physics and microbiology to be tossed out the window so that Earth can be saved, if they are out of food or running out will there be anyone left when they come back?

13. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Maybe Rust is leaving on the 'B' ark, along with the hair dressers and telephone sanitisers.

--Geoff

14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Looks awesome!

15. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I think the idea is that they're looking for a new home for humanity, and the wormhole is the express route, hopefully. I think there's a lot more to this than is made out in the trailer - wormholes are often tied to time travel. In the trailer, it's mentioned several times "murphy's law" in relation to his daughter, and then he explains her name as not being only bad things, but "whatever can happen will happen." If you follow quantum physics, you may have read how parallel universes are spawned from possible events - but they're not merely "possible" at that point, of course. So that's my guess. McCaughnehey goes into the wormhole and rather than spitting him out somewhere else in space, it drops him into a parallel reality where whatever calamities that happened on earth never happened. He told her he would be back. He just didn't say, or know, where.

I know the script is out there, but I haven't read it. I'm just postulatin' based on a trailer, which is generally a bad idea. It'll probably be totally different than this. I might be a little disappointed if this is all there is to it.

mikeyt likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

WOW, this is shaping up to be the movie of 2014...

To infinity and beyond goes “Interstellar,” an exhilarating slalom through the wormholes of Christopher Nolan’s vast imagination that is at once a science-geek fever dream and a formidable consideration of what makes us human. As visually and conceptually audacious as anything Nolan has yet done, the director’s ninth feature also proves more emotionally accessible than his coolly cerebral thrillers and Batman movies, touching on such eternal themes as the sacrifices parents make for their children (and vice versa) and the world we will leave for the next generation to inherit. An enormous undertaking that, like all the director’s best work, manages to feel handcrafted and intensely personal, “Interstellar” reaffirms Nolan as the premier big-canvas storyteller of his generation, more than earning its place alongside “The Wizard of Oz,” “2001,” “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” and “Gravity” in the canon of Hollywood’s visionary sci-fi head trips. Global box office returns should prove suitably rocket-powered.

http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-interstellar-1201338475/

Preoccupied with nothing less than the notion that humankind will one day need to migrate from Earth to some other planet we can call home, Interstellar so bulges with ideas, ambitions, theories, melodrama, technical wizardry, wondrous imagery and core emotions that it was almost inevitable that some of it would stick while other stuff would fall to the floor. Feeling very much like Christopher Nolan's personal response to his favorite film, 2001: A Space Odyssey, this grandly conceived and executed epic tries to give equal weight to intimate human emotions and speculation about the cosmos, with mixed results, but is never less than engrossing, and sometimes more than that.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/interstellar/review/744059

The movie is excellent. There are a few holes in the plot that no doubt will be analyzed and discussed and dissected to death. Those don't bother me! Interstellar is excellent. It takes you to new worlds, it fills you with wonder, and it captivates you fully with the hugeness of space and the depth and breadth of emotion an exploration. And you need to see it. You really, really need to see it.

http://gizmodo.com/interstellar-review-dont-read-this-just-go-see-it-1651908619

17. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Now that's a positive review! :) Confirms my idea of Nolan is the greatest director of this moment. And the fact that I'm going to have to see this movie at soon as possible!

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm predicting right now this movie is hands-down a nominee for Best Picture. I'd be stunned if it didn't get at least another 5-6 nominations, maybe more.

Jerryb likes this.
  19. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Wow is right. The whole "mankind is dying and we need spaceflight to save us" theme reminds me so much of Arthur C. Clarke's writing. His book of 2001: A Space Odyssey touched on that theme although it was WWIII and not starvation that was going to kill us all (and outside of its visual splendor, was the only thing worthwhile about Hyams' terrible adaptation of 2010). This looks like a great science fiction movie, easily the best since Avatar.

Count me in for going to a big theater in a major city and seeing this movie properly on its first release.

Jerryb likes this.
  20. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

would be much more believable if Matthew was driving a Lincoln through the cornfield

BluesOvertookMe and Vidiot like this.
  21. Nah, he's got as solid science advisor ( a physicist) who came up with the basic premise.

I think this is about an exhausted Earth that just can't sustain our population any more and the I pact of environment ravaged by us.so they look to a planet that has the a actual resources to sustain humanity

22. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I still don't totally get the premise of this movie. So they search for a habitable planet. Okay, let's say they find one.

Then what??

They're going to use all of the resources on Earth that they apparently don't have to build a bunch of space ships to transport billions of people to the new planet??

23. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Dance party!

24. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Here's an idea. Go see the movie and find out.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I probably will and I do feel as though most trailers reveal too much these days. But at the same time, I feel like the trailers for this have revealed too little. I think it could be marketed better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.