"The Who Hits 50" CD set apparently being released (Surprise, surprise!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sweetdudejim, Jul 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It looks like a great compilation, but given that I already have CDs of Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy, Who's Better Who's Best, The Who Collection Volume Two, My Generation: The Very Best Of The Who, and the original It's Hard, I just don't think I can justify getting it.

I can listen to "Dogs", "Relay", and "It's Not Enough" on Spotify.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

"be lucky" is available to listen to on spotify.

theMess and dlokazip like this.
  3. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

As I understand it, all the touring from 1989 to 2002 was undertaken expressly to keep John out of the poorhouse.

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Good job!- I did try to search for the original article. Even in context- It reads pretty much the same as the quote I posted. Classic Pete- not to be taken seriously- worthy of reading for a good chuckle.

5. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

Yeah. I would be absolutely stunned if Pete has ever really needed the money from recent (ie 1989-present) Who tours to maintain a very comfortable lifestyle. The yearly publishing on one or two of their biggest hits alone would likely pay his bills and allow him to live a decent lifestyle. Factor in the sheer number of popular songs that The Who recorded and Pete and his children's children will be wealthy. I get the impression Roger managed to maintain a decent amount of wealth despite a lack of songwriting credits, but it's common knowledge that John's lifestyle was the cause of many financial problems. John just couldn't let go of the "rock star" lifestyle. Had he simply moved to a slightly smaller house (and I mean smaller than the CASTLE he was living in but still larger than that of 99% of most middle class folks) and sold off a few vintage cars (cars he couldn't even drive!) surely he could have been much more financially comfortable in his later years.

theMess, Dave Hoos and Carserguev like this.
  6. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I don't have much by way of Who comps so I might be in for this - depends on the mastering - if it's in line with the recent crop of reissues (Tommy, Quad, etc) I'll probably spring for it.

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yes, both John and Roger needed financial assistance from Who touring revenues, John more than Roger. Nevertheless, Townshend ultimately did it for the money, if not to help his bandmates, but also to ultimately line his own pockets. And really, who cares? It was their right to cash in on their music -- and it didn't stop tons of concertgoers from having a good time seeing The Who back together, producing mostly high quality shows.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have to check my ticket stub, I think it was 1996-97- . I saw Roger Daltrey perform solo with a touring band he put together at Westbury Music fair, a small venue with 3,000 seat capacity. I'll never forget the funny one liner- ".....this is a tough way to make a living for a man my age"

I also saw John Entwistle perform there on the "A walk down Abbey road tour" in 2001 And attended several John Entwistle band solo gigs in venues that one could consider a dive.

Point being, Roger and John were out there performing solo for the money.

9. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

John's lifestyle certainly didn't help his financial situation, but most of his debts were incurred because he went out-of-pocket to keep his solo band on the road. My understanding is that they rarely, if ever, broke even, but John loved playing live so much that he was willing to go into crippling debt for it.

Explosion likes this.
  10. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Pete implied in his book that the property taxes on the lodge were primary among John's economic difficulties.

reb likes this.
  11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Just a few years ago when UNCUT did their Who special, Pete wrote the foreword and the very first line was "I never should have been in a band." He never changes (or is it he ALWAYS changes?). He either loves or hates the band that made him. Classic Pete, indeed.

reb likes this.
  14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Cool, thanks. I guess it is a typo on their site.

15. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

If you can spring the money for it (some places has the 2-disc for under $20.00 on sale now and I found a single disc version at Best Buy for $8.99 on sale), it's worth it to at least have on hand to sample the sound quality.

Explosion likes this.
  16. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

That's kinda what I meant - the quote on the Mail article implies it was said in jest, rather than an angry 'I hate the Who'. Classic Pete though and he really hasn't mellowed in all these years which I love!

PacificOceanBlue and reb like this.
  17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

My favorite line from the full quote you posted:

Pete, if your reading this --you are complaining! Additionally, as far as we know you don't have Alzheimers. Therefore you can clearly remember why you hate performing and The Who and touring...:D

babyblue and RobCooper like this.
  18. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Any word if this will this get a HD Tracks release?

Explosion likes this.
  19. Explosion

Explosion Member

BluRay on 9 December

riknbkr330 likes this.
  20. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I would have made the few simple tweaks necessary to make this a straightforward collection of all the UK and US A-sides*, in their original single mixes. It's never been done, it's obviously commercial, it's ideally suited to a big anniversary, it negates any reasonable quibbling about the track selection, and by including the original mixes it would be an essential purchase for even the most devoted collector. But I've been a fan of the band long enough to know that such a useful and logical approach to a compilation would never fly!

* - I'd expect the band to have some leeway to omit some or all of the Talmy-released, non-band authorized spoiler singles from the first album.

somebodywhocares likes this.
  21. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

That's great! By coincidence, I have an OPPO BD-105 on order.

Explosion likes this.
  22. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

It's a different mastering compared to the "30 years of Maximum R'nB" box, tracks even play at slightly different speed. The tracks are not brickwalled, although they look and sound a bit louder/compressed - but in a good way. The Who were a loud band and the new mastering works great without tiring the ears. Sadly I discovered no new stereo, even Zoot Suit is back to mono.

dead of night likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Only original mixes were used, so anything that was first time stereo in the '90s was not used. Zoot Suit, Dogs, and Call Me Lightning.

24. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It's the stereo album mix of 'I Can See for Miles', though, right? Not the original single mix? Your comment here and the mention upthread of the prominence of John's bass on the track has me confused. . .

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, stereo, but of course that isn't a new remix. Same mix that was issued on Sell Out originally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.