McCartney Album "NEW" (2013), part22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure he has said he went into the subway with the intention to do the video, and with the music playing and his lip-synching, and all. .. So in the Anthology interview footage with Paul at a stadium show with the stage and set-up in the background... was he really there on tour, or was it made up to give the impression that the interview was filmed while he was on tour?

heatherly likes this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Probably from his early nineties world tour.

3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

But maybe Paul set it up to only make it look like it was from his early nineties world tour. ;)

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Penny-pinching Paul?? No, he wouldn't do that.

Arnie

5. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Yes. But he wanted to give the impression that he was spontaneously cavorting with the rabble, not pre-screened probable actors who all signed a waiver to appear. How fortuitous that every age, gender and racial demographic was perfectly represented!

I do believe that the tourside Anthology interviews were filmed during the New World tour. The hair matches, at least. Of course, he had plenty of time off and didn't need to do the interviews 50 feet away from thousands of adoring fans. But, hey, what's a worldwide rockstar to do?

scoostraw likes this.
  6. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

It was filmed during his 1993 tour.

7. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

He goes into as much detail as possible in the commentary track for the video on The McCartney Years.
    I love the song, FWIW.
    Moving on....

8. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Of course. But I genuinely don't think it likely. If nothing else, what were the crew there to do if not film him writing his song? I mean, if they were there to shoot some other footage, I doubt Macca would have thought it a good idea to bring his guitar so he can work on a song while he should be focussing on something else. If they were there specifically to film him writing a song, it seems a very contrived way to go about it, and not especially conducive to providing the inspiration needed to pen a modern classic.

And yet I find them both disturbing and unpleasant. Your mileage obviously varies, so I'd not be so presumptuous as to suggest that they are "in no way" pleasant.

graystoke and Frank like this.
  9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

You don't have to convince me of the 'correctness' of that. "Fortuitous" indeed. ;) But like I said, this is still a music video shoot.

Back to the "Hosanna" mucking about footage - I don't believe that Paul "pretended" that he was just figuring out some words and chords and jotting them on paper all over again, after he'd already written and recorded it, just for the cameras. No more than I believe George wasn't truly helping Ringo out on "Octopus' Garden" as the cameras rolled.

heatherly likes this.
  10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Bless.

supermd and Frank like this.
  11. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

"Don't think it likely", ..."If, ..." "I doubt..." "It seems...."
    It's all open to guessing. You could be right. Or I could be right. I suspect the real truth is, it depends on whether one enjoys the song or not.

Remember what was discussed here recently about not laboring over needing to use "IMO" for everything?

A person may interpret any song however they wish; that doesn't mean it was intended by its author. In 1989 Paul told a VHIcaller that LET IT BE's "Mother Mary" was referencing his own mother, not the Cathlolic Mary (as the caller had asked). But then Paul said whatever works for the listener is fine (nice of him, don't you think?). I'm not so sure he'd appreciate the interpretation that "Hosanna" was about forcing a woman into sex against her will if he did not intend that, though.

Ever hear any Aeloian Cadences? :)

Were "Day Tripper" and "Norwegian Wood" really about "prostitutes and lesbians"?

heatherly likes this.
  12. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

"Yesterday" "Today" was "Tomorrow".......! :yikes:

13. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

With intent for the soon-to-be Anthology project, I would think.

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t think there is anything spontaneous goin on in the films regarding Paul
    Most of the time I find them s-t-boring. Paul doin this, Paul doin that, Everyone admires Paul and laughs at his boring jokes and old stories about the Beatles. As much as I admire the mans music and general descensy , those ego-centric exesses in yes-sayers and forced spontanity I avoid like plague.But that is only my opnion-IMO.

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

If 100+ more hours of "New" composing footage shows up, I'd believe it was possible that the moment was spontaneously captured, as the "Octupus's Garden" moment was.

graystoke, Paul H and Frank like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The things you learn on this Forum. Truly amazing stuff...

;) Arnie

theMess likes this.
  17. RayS

So less than 7 hours to go for the last show of the U.S. leg, and my last McCartney concert (I'm retiring, not him).

Anyone have that "Men in Black" device to wipe the set list from my mind? Or should I convince myself that "Hell To Pay" in the encore is a legitimate possibility?

PhoffiFozz and theMess like this.
  18. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'd posit that there are only two instances where we the public got a real, unfiltered, not phonied up look at who Paul McCartney is, and both of them were shot by Albert Maysles about 35 years apart. Everything else is prepackaged, scripted and vetted.

Even in the First US Visit he's putting on airs, although the mask slips occasionally. But I found The Love We Make almost disturbing in the way Paul comes across. I was impressed that he let it out (a decade later).

scoostraw likes this.
  19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Would 9 or 10 hours be good enough? Seriously, I don't think the amount of un-used footage matters in the least. This new "Making of NEW" video/film here shows actual in-time recording and working in the studio in some cases. As an example: when the band members are gathered around Paul singing into the microphone to do harmonies for the song "New", was this staged ?

20. RayS

That footage in the car (where he suddenly feels the urgent need to get away from the crowd of fans) came across as a very real and revealing moment to me. After John was murdered and George was almost murdered, he just CAN'T be the "thumbs up" happy go lucky guy ALL the time.

I think the "public" (or the small subsection who could sit through all the tapes) got a good look at the real Paul McCartney in the "Get Back" reels. He is the perfectionist that so many have claimed, but he generally goes about it in a passive-aggressive, rather than confrontational, manner.

scoostraw and theMess like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I never watched The Love we make. Well- meaning he might be but sometines it borders towards a very ego-centric, self-glorifaction. That s one of the sides of Paul I don t like. But he s not alone

22. RayS

My point regarding "Octupus's Garden" is that THAT moment was filmed because there was a crew there filming for about 10 hours that day, so it would be surprising if they MISSED the moment, rather than if they captured it. So the amount of raw footage IS a decent indicator of whether or not a filmed "spontaneous" moment is truly spontaneous.

23. RayS

I never listen to opinions that start with "I never watched ..." But that's just me, IMO. :)

PhoffiFozz and theMess like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

IMO you are the one who decides what opinions you will listen to or not. It s a personal choice that I can t have any objections about.
    But I still sincerely feel that Paul has a slight touch of meglomania. However- compared to Bono or Madonna he seems almost shy-IMO of course.:)

heatherly likes this.
  25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

This is a whole different thing, and I would agree with you on the matter of Paul not really being genuine all the time. If there is a camera rolling, you can be almost certain that Paul is going to play to that camera, and be very PR. Believe me, I have been a first-hand witness to Paul losing his cool in person, when there wasn't a camera recording 'Mr. Charming' - so I know! :)

But the matter of him being captured working on a new song for a moment or two with his guitar? Maybe Paul would make a faux over-inspired expression or gesture, but I don't think it's quite the same thing as when he's greeting people on camera, for example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.