American Horror Story: Freak Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Nope - it's just fantasy television escapism, not a documentary. :shrug:

JimC likes this.
  2. I get that and I don't expect a documentary but I do expect that, if you are establishing something that is clearly designed as a period piece, that you not have sing songs from over two decades in the future. It goes to the continuity of the universe they've created. It immediately pulls me out of the program.

3. I'm very, very, VERY much a stickler for period pieces being correct, and I thrill at the little nuances of film and television when they do it right. I've even turned off films just by catching one anachronism.

That being said, for some reason I don't mind it in AHS. It's like, everything else appears correct, as if they went out of their way to make it a very period. So, the musical choices?

When music is playing in the background it's of the period. When they want to amplify a song - as in the modern songs in 1952 - that seems to be more of a dreamy/artistic statement. Perhaps to get the viewer to relate? Maybe they just like the songs? I believe it's more than that. To wit:

The Bowie tune was in an opium state. The Criminal tune was in a seductive state - or, rather, a state that showed early that the two heads were at odds with one another (remember, they really are criminals). The third number was on Halloween. A conjuring tune, if you will.

I suppose that's why I feel the music was done to good effect.

I will say this, however, I would be a little let down if there is a musical number in every single episode.

4. Well that's the other issue I have--it seems that they want this to be a little bit of Glee as well.

5. Yeah. I've thought about that, too. That would not sit well with me at all. It's one thing to throw in a tune every once in a while, but it's quite another...

If we get four in a row I won't turn it off, but I'll be greatly agitated. I mean, it can't be good for the flow, right?

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not at all, actually.

7. montyburns

montyburns Forum Resident

i actually love the songs so far...i think they add a whole 'nother element to it, and it definitely does not bother me

to be honest, if they did more (maybe not every episode), id like it...

i mean, this freak show has musicians in it...i think were gonna get more music

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Right. They are entertainers, so we are getting music, and I would guess a lot this season.

9. Episode 4 had a lot of silliness in it. But hey! - at least it didn't have another musical number! I like the show's quirkiness; still, it can be a bit too much at times.

wayneklein likes this.
  10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em! Thread Starter

Interesting conclusion to the two part episode. I don't get *why* it was a 2 parter though, as the whole story is somewhat continuous to start with. Anyway.

Meet the new clown, worse than the old clown.

Anybody else notice the slight similarities purpose-wise between the Angel of Death (season 2), Papa Legba (3), and Edward Mordrake this time around? Not sure there was a comparable character in season 1.

11. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

But why did they have to kill my favorite character, Meep.

A moment of silence please.

12. I don't mind the musical numbers but, given that they pay such close attention to a lot of period details, performed within the context of the show it bugs me. It would be like paying close attention to period detail and then using the wrong model/year car in one sequence because it would jazz it up. Outside of the context of the show (i.e., as music not performed in the show) it wouldn't bug me as much.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I had no idea the clown was John Carroll Lynch! I was quite pleasantly surprised.

14. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'll miss old Twisty. :sigh:

15. Aggie87

Something tells me you haven't seen the last of him (or Edward Mordrake).

wayneklein and jsayers like this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

WHere is it mentioned in the show that the clown's name was "Twisty"? Did I miss that?

17. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I am not sure, I am reminded of David Lynch and his use of songs in movies somehow ...... I like how they are done, but in the given context they are kinda strange and creepy, so I guess it fits ... somehow .... of course having newer songs in a vintage setting is the Lynch gimmick in reverse ......

[​IMG]

18. Yeah. In the case of Lynch he used it for dramatic effect and even Tarantino did that in Inglorious Bastards with "Cat People" And it wasn't performed by a character wthn the comtext of the film. In the case of Freak Show it's odd to pay such close attention to period detail and then pull audience members out of it with a performance of a contemporary song with contemporary arrangements. It can work but it has to be done carefully. Granted this is a fantasy horror show but WHY spend so much time getting the little details right? Having a song in each is also getting old for me. IF I wanted to watch Glee I'd put on Glee to me this wastes time dramatically and seems like a specific appeal to the Glee crowd.

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

First of all there isn't a song in every episode. Secondly even when there is it's only 1- certainly not Glee. And thirdly...if it bothers you then all you have to do is change the channel and voila...you can watch a show that doesn't bother your sensibilities with their choice of music.

20. Ok well I guess we can't express our opinions about the show then? I enjoy the show as I mentioned I just find it odd to spend so much time on getting specific details right and then throw In a contemporary song. I usually will get p and do something while its playing as I watch the show on demand and you can't skip through it. For me it brings the drama to a dead stand still.

It's certainly an artistic choice just an odd one.

21. I thought it was mentioned in the latest episode where we found out the background on him and the nick name was tied to his balloon making of curse my memory could be playing tricks on me here. Of the four seasons so far this one has certainly been the most out there at taking risks dramatically.

22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Expressing ones opinion is cool. Continually filling up the thread with the same message over and over- not so much.

Tex_Writer likes this.
  23. Well it is a discussion and, as part of a discussion, you respond to other people's posts and as part of that discussion, I'm hoping for some insight into why they made the choices they did. Just if ignore me or my posts that'll solve the problem. As I recall five of those you quoted were responses to others about the same topic.

You can always change the channel. ;)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. Aggie87

Of everything in last night's episode, the scene that made me squirm was the one between Dell and the doctor. That was intense!

25. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

After having seen 4 episodes, I think this is my favorite installment in this series yet. It is just the right mixture this time for me. I wasn't so thrilled with S01 and 02 and S03 could have been so much better. But I have to say the different trailer sequences at the beginning of each season were all magnificent and the music is the modern equivalent to the "Halloween" soundtrack - I even think I heard it play in the background of one of last sundays NFL games between downs ........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.