Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're currently at (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

2. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

3. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

Thanks for the Heylin piece. It's good stuff, but gosh, Heylin won't give up on his "Danko and Manuel were writing songs before Robbie Robertson" theory. Hasn't anyone told him that Robertson was supplying material for Ronnie Hawkins when he was still a teenager?

Ender, paulg61 and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Thanks, I didn't know that...and a song-by-song is the main thing I was looking for
    in the packaging liner notes! Ha, well I look forward to it, hope it's substantial,
    hope I have ink in my printer.

From: http://www.searchingforagem.com/2010s/International059.htm

No commentary for Disc 6??

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

6. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

7. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

From Isis Magazine:

HominyRhodes likes this.
  8. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

The end is now in sight, but...so many new developments...so many articles to read...so many tracks and samples to listen to and compare...can't...keep...up...:faint:

Ender and asdf35 like this.
  9. Moth

Moth fluttering by

A five-star review from the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/oct/30/bob-dylan-the-band-basement-tapes-complete-review. One of the opening sentences explains why it hasn't leaked out to the internet yet: "In order to combat piracy, there are no promotional CDs: those who wish to cast a critical ear over the 138 tracks are required to listen to them via a stream, or visit the record company’s offices..."

It also has some song previews, although I'm not sure if any of them are new or not - it's hard to keep track at this point.

George P and Thelonious_Cube like this.
  10. I'm holding off listening to anything else until Monday. Heylin's article is ok but his ideas about what drugs Bob and the Boys may have been on whilst recording the music sounds a little like conjecture. I think 'Behind The Shades' (where he pedalled the identical ideas) was a fun read overall but I also think he's a bit of a prat, prone to filling in the blanks with his own theories.

cc--, subtr, Thelonious_Cube and 2 others like this.
  11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Exactly.

He complained about Sony's choices of tracks for the 2 CD version, but he didn't give his reasons, so he sounds lust like a whiner.

12. It's possible that the commentary will also appear in the iOS Bootleg Series app when that's updated for BS 11, although that may only cover the 2CD set.

13. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

And I've just read over on facebook that the new boxed set contains an insert stating that Shadows In The Night is coming in 2015! Hoorah! It hasn't made it to its own Bootleg Series release.

14. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

and presenting them as fact.

I wouldn't mind his theories as theories, but he doesn't adequately distinguish fact from conjecture. Add to that the fact that he takes every opportunity to air personal grudges (against Jeff Rosen, Greil Marcus...) and I really wish there were someone else doing and presenting the research he does, but alas...

Williamson likes this.
  15. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

I
    Granted he can be pedantic but he's responsible for turning me from a Dylan fanatic into a full fledged Dylan freak by educating me on unreleased Dylan music - ten fold - helped navigate the waters of the multitude of Dylan boots out there to search for a gem & go for the gold of his unauthorized music - this some 20yrs ago after reading the original "Behind at the Shades"!

16. Thelonious_Cube

Amazon now says Auto-Rip on the Complete set

HominyRhodes and Dflow like this.
  17. Yep. That's Clinton. There's also that book he published called 'All The Madmen'. It's not even worth the time for me to explain the premise of it here. I took one look at the cover, read the blurb on the back and thought the only madman here is the writer.

Summer of Malcontent and paulg61 like this.
  18. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Hmnnn I just got the following from Deep Discount:

Dear Valued Customer,

We thought you would like to know...

The item listed below has just shipped!

Depending on the shipping method you chose, it may take 24 hours for your tracking number to return
    Qty Item # Description Price Tracking DYLAN,BOB - BASEMENT TAPES RAW: THE BOOTLEG SERIES 11 99.99

HominyRhodes and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  19. I'll give him that. His 'Behind Closed Doors' has had me salivating over this release for years.

paulg61 likes this.
  20. Thelonious_Cube

well, he does say "...a 24-track collection of all the songs copyrighted between 1967 and 1975...would rank alongside any Dylan collection." [emphasis mine] so he thinks the copyrighted songs are the important ones. Presumably, then, the covers should be downplayed and "Wild Wolf" should be included (though I'm not sure where that leaves Teenage Prayer - was it copyrighted?).

21. hamholio

hamholio Forum Resident

This sounds like something I'd like to listen to. Is there a place where these songs have been listed, or do I have to go through the Complete Set's liner notes and pick them out myself?

paulg61 likes this.
  22. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

& in this instance he's probably right on there & that's the rub - unlike the hit or miss 2 CD set Sony decided to release (I mean who chose these songs & versions? Did they flip a coin or use a dartboard?) That would have made an absolutely wonderful 2 CD version - all basement tapes or not!

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm naive to the Basement Tapes and have ordered the 2CD set. But in that Guardian article Clinton Helylin writes about a great collection that would comprise of 24 tracks released for copyright purposes between '67 and '75:

'somewhere in among the haunted leaves of this mighty tree is a 24-track collection of all the songs copyrighted between 1967 and 1975, which would rank alongside any Dylan collection'

For my education, could anyone surmise just what those 24 tracks would be please? I'd like to hear it.

paulg61 likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Seconded!

paulg61 likes this.
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Here's my first draft (I just went thru an alphabetical list of the Basements and put the '67-'75 copyrighted titles together from memory, so this is VERY subject to error, but my list did happen to come to 24 tracks). I'll double check against the Copyright Files book a bit later:

1. All American Boy
    2. Apple Suckling Tree
    3. Bourbon Street
    4. Clothes Line Saga
    5. Crash on the Levee
    6. Don’t Ya Tell Henry
    7. Get Your Rocks Off
    8. Goin’ To Acapulco
    9. I Shall Be Released
    10. I’m Not There
    11. Lo And Behold
    12. Million Dollar Bash
    13. Nothing Was Delivered
    14. Odds And Ends
    15. Open The Door, Homer
    16. Please, Mrs. Henry
    17. Quinn The Eskimo
    18. Silent Weekend
    19. Sign On The Cross
    20. This Wheel’s On Fire
    21. Tears of Rage
    22. Too Much Of Nothing
    23. Yay! Heavy And A Bottle Of Bread
    24. You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere

Koabac, Dflow, HominyRhodes and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.