What I Still Love About The CD!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Super dumb thing to say...'comforting surface noise.' But in truth I'm not sure what he means and he probably isn't either. If it's just the sound of the stylus sailing through the groove, the 'whhhrrrrr' or however you'd care to describe it, that's no problem and I guess some people could conceivably find it 'comforting.' But noise? Like pops, ticks, whooshes and the like?
    No way. Frigging annoying like you said and yes, it always has been.

audiomixer likes this.
  2. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Well-Known Member

Listening to CD's is like walking into a glass window. There's nothing beyond that thin sheet of artifice.

Malina, Shak Cohen and Paul K like this.
  3. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Well, I've burned my own compilation CD's. Haven't figured out how to do that with vinyl just yet. I play my CD's in the car. Can't afford to do that with vinyl. I've left my CD's in a hot car. I've also done that with vinyl. The CD's were unharmed. Can't say the same for the vinyl. Having written all that, I DO love my vinyl!

4. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Do not blame the media, no one is innocent but the format is.

5. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

What?

6. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Well-Known Member

I didn't blame the media. Where did you get that? I'm listening to my Beatles in Mono LP box. The decay goes on forever. The weird thing is I have an Oppo 105 for CD's and an entry-level Rega RP1. Guess which one wins time after time, LP after LP.

As for vinyl diehard, figure it out.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I love that we can still be living the dream of the future 30 years later. Still lovin' it:

8. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Like I said do not blame the format, trust your ears and enjoy.

9. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

My take is that it probably depends on the sensitivity of one's hearing or the quality of their audio equipment or a combination of both. I can't hear differences between different pressings of the same mastering, and would be likely to agree with those who say that bits are bits - but when someone like Barry Diament says he can hear a difference, I have to think there might be some merit to such claims after all. But clearly not everyone will hear such minute differences.

10. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

See post #139.

11. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

:laugh: I love this stuff! Listen up, I ran into a glass door and smashed it with my face. It was nothing like listening to a cd.

Listening to an lp is like spelunking while eating popcorn. Whatever that means. :cool:

12. My only question is : How do you play your vinyl records in a mobile source? (ie car,plane, train,boat)
    I think this thread answers those questions

13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Yo losers! If you really "care for" your music then you wouldn't be buying cd's. Please find another music forum. This one is not for you!

I wonder why vinyl lovers are thought of as arrogant with a superiority complex? Can someone please explain? ;)

14. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I just ripped a CD with a ton of pinholes. It took 2 or 3 full days to do with error correction, etc. but it worked finally.

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

even wounded the CD comes through!
    I have a bunch of old Polygram/Polydor CDs with many pinholes...they're fine.

16. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

But just like numchucks above is saying (sorry, cant recall your name), it dosent have to be like that. Decent pressing, decent turntable equals great sound. Far from all pressings are perfect thats for sure, you got to pick your poison and search out the good undamaged ones. So, its the same principal for the same results using different mediums.

17. Michael

unless the CD it's a Seeds CD!

18. ISellCDs

ISellCDs Forum Resident

How does "What I Still Love About the CD!" turn into a CD bashing metaphor hate fest for you vinyl guys? Can't we all just agree to hate iTunes?

vince, Grant and no.nine like this.
  19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Wow! That's more heroic error correction than I was thinking of. I was thinking of just the occasional pinhole that can be corrected during normal playback. Pinholes up to about 2.4mm can be read through and corrected perfectly during live playback. The original data reconstructed. Pretty amazing. CDs are amazing things.

Here's the math:
    http://www.usna.edu/Users/math/wdj/_files/documents/reed-sol.htm
    and some more math:
    http://www.drdobbs.com/testing/error-correction-with-reed-solomon/240157266

What's also amazing is that all this math stuff and all the sampling theory stuff was all known about and understood decades before the CD was invented. The engineers designing the CD just applied it to develop their new project.

20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Yes - iPhones are incredibly handy.

21. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I hate everything and most people. Im in...

22. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

Wow, people's insecurities are on display in this thread eh? I listen to LPs and CDs; neither is always better than the other, but depends on the individual case.

23. readr

readr Forum Resident

CD's aren't going to go away anytime soon. It's still the preferred format for the physical format (library). No one can argue this. When The Beatles announced they were going to do a re-issue campaign for their albums, was your first thought "vinyl"? No....CD. CD first (physical), than iTunes (download), than vinyl (audiophile). The CD holds an albums worth of material comfortably and can play on DVD and Blu-Ray, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM player. I think we've seen the dust clear and the CD is still standing. Improved technology will not kill it, there will have to be something else.....whatever that will be. CD's and books will survive the digital age (for a while) longer....my lifetime, probably. I still dig them.

24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Dude you should have heard my burner drive. It was INSANE. I thought the poor thing may up and die on me. LOL It was working overtime and HARD.

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

it's just the way it is...sad, but true. For me...it doesn't matter. I still love my CDs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.