Bear Family to issue Chuck Berry and other Chess artists box set(s)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by signothetimes53, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I don't think they deal with us Canucks.

2. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ouch .... that hurts but then it's complete Chuck Berry. Yeah and they only ship to the USA.

3. eelkiller

Your credit card must be linked to an American address so border dwellers can't take advantage of shipping to the USA. Import CD's (same outfit) was my only choice. They shipped yesterday. :)

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'd welcome that over another Chuck Berry set. It's overdue and she deserves it.

melstapler likes this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

It will be nice to have all of Chuck Berry's recordings in one place. Also, I believe it's important to support Bear Family Records, because they've done so much to keep classic country and vintage rock alive. They put their love for the music first and I believe their actions speak louder than words. Bear Family have released some box sets of more obscure artists where they're lucky if they break even. Of course, the profits from bigger-named box sets compensate for any sales lacking from a lesser-selling artist's music.

Hep Alien, ShawnX, ash1 and 2 others like this.
  6. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

True, but I'm only an hour from the New York border. My parents and I routinely have things sent to the UPS Store there. Live and learn.

melstapler likes this.
  7. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

The George Jones sets had some crazy long CD's in this range.

8. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Right, there is one major difference between Rock n Roll Rarities and this set.

No Particular Place To Go is a very different remix on our host's set. Both versions are wide stereo. There is a good bit more murk and goosh on the Bear Family version.

The Bear Family mix is the same as on the Mo-Fi 24 carat gold CD, but the equalisation is different. I very much prefer the slightly heavier bass and murk of the Bear Family to the Mo-Fi.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The previously unreleased 1963 live recordings from October 25th at Detroit have a very similar (gorgeous) stereo sound to the previously released set from the following day. It give one the ability to choose which version of which song one likes best.

Nosferatuz and Hep Alien like this.
  10. eelkiller

I tried to order something from them, they would not accept my card as it is not linked to a US address. Paypal is not accepted. I live 5 minutes from a border crossing but it is of no advantage in this case.

11. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Does this set contain any unreleased tracks from the Bo diddly/chuck berry sessions

12. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Mines delayed till end of November :(

13. bodine

bodine Senior Member

It's a shame P-Vine's Chess boxes aren't in print anymore. I still treasure my complete Muddy Waters and Sonny Boy II LP boxes, as well as the superb Elmore Fire/Fury CD box.

14. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Get a postal box and use that as the billing address so the credit card will validate to the specific U.S. address. Having a separate postal box is also nice for maintaining privacy and concealing your home address.

Regarding payment methods, when I lived in Canada, I also used to use prepaid gift cards to buy CDs/LPs and have them shipped to my U.S. mailing address. This worked most of the time.

15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with these engineers. Is the sound quality considered definitive (for digital)?

16. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

When I got home from work yesterday The Complete Basement Tapes, Rolling Stones Hampton Coliseum '81 and Led Zepp IV & HOFT 2 cd sets were waiting for me. Later that night, this monster Chuck Berry set was delivered. Almost too much great stuff to go through. Almost.

17. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Any reviews on the sound on this set? Any upgrade on the recent Hip O sets? Thanks.

18. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The guitar case edition is now shipping:
    [​IMG]

19. Beaneydave

Nice photo thanks, mine is , at last , on the way maybe tomorrow I'll get it.
    Where did you get the photo?

Peace and love✌

20. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Beaneydave likes this.
  21. Beaneydave

Well I got my guitar case tonight and WOW it's a sexy mother! It even smells nice and can't sound as good as it looks. Now where can I put it.........

Peace and love✌

22. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Any comment on the sound?

23. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The guitar case makes "whoosh" when you open it.

bobcat, Clanceman, eelkiller and 5 others like this.
  24. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Is it a brickwalled whoosh or fully dynamic?

bobcat, Andy Pandy, paulisme and 2 others like this.
  25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I hope they issue one for Bo Diddley as well since Hip-O-Select never finished the series of his complete Chess recordings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.