Pet Shop Boys Album Discussions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Oct 25, 2014.

1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

You guys made me pull the trigger on the vinyl Discography. It should be coming this week... Mint promo U.S. copy, hopefully the SQ is nice.

I also borrowed the "Further Listening" versions from a friend of mine... Actually, Behaviour, and Very. Very was always my favorite start-to-finish album but I'm thinking I really slept on Behaviour back in the day... It's moody and sad but pretty fantastic all the way through. Then again, none of the singles got ANY traction in the U.S. whatsoever. (Except their take-the-piss U2 cover.)

And, as others have mentioned, these reissues are incredibly well done. Most of the bonus tracks would've fit into the respective albums with no dip in quality.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Great music. I owned a music store when they started out and we could only get their early stuff as imports. They sold well and when Please came out here it did really well. I still buy their new stuff and love that most of their releases have been available on vinyl.

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Listened to Behaviour last night and into today. It really is a solid, adult album. Very is probably more fun - and certainly more out - but bits of Behaviour are just breathtaking; "This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave", the awesome "Jealousy", the naughty "So Hard" (a classic PSB double-entendre if ever there was one) and the heartbreaking "Being Boring", maybe the best thing Neil's ever written.

4. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident Thread Starter

o
    Good on you mate! Thanks for supporting the finest art form in the world. I hope the fact that the past tense was used was correlated to your choosing to close the store or sell and that you landed on your feet. I miss the hell out of my local record store and even though I did spend time in Tower because it stayed open late, buying at Rasputin's or Leopold's in Berkeley was always the best way for me to buy those wondrous vinyl discs back in the day. Glad you are still enjoying the PSB, I've been playing Please and Actually a lot lately and that is a statement given that the new Simple Minds album is available for preview in its entirety. Those PSB albums are infectious, magical and just what the doctor ordered nowadays.

KyriePage and Willie McTell like this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I bought Discography last night off of Ebay based on all the recommendations. I closed my music store after a huge chain store opened nearby and started selling the top sellers at near cost. What I didn't know at the time was that whole industry was almost ready to begin the great fall, so in the end they did me a huge favor. I didn't have a family yet and would have always wanted to open a store, so I got it out of my system in my 20's and moved on to do another business which still thrives today! I also miss Tower. We are lucky....we have two strong vinyl stores in our atea...Twist and Shout in Denver and an independent chain called Independent Records, both of which do a stellar job with vinyl.

6. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Greetings from a fellow Colorado Springs resident! Independent Records and Twist and Shout are regular stops for me. I'm worried about Independent, though. The CD section in their flagship store on Platte seems to shrink every time I go in there. I think they're making most of their money from T-shirts, smoking supplies, novelties, etc. And of course vinyl.

7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Received "Left To My Own Devices" US 12inch today, (much cheaper than the import cd) as I've never heard the Disco Mix, question, at the end it goes into the thunderstorm (beginning of I want a dog) from Introspective, possible editing error or intentional? Does anyone have the cd single?

8. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

The CD single also has the thunderstorm at the end of the Disco Mix.

c-eling likes this.
  9. c-eling

Thanks Marc! :cheers:

Marc 74 likes this.
  10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Are we ready to discuss Disco yet? I didn't buy 12" singles back so this release was a fun alt and the remixes of b-sides were like brand new songs to me.

I only have this album (EP?) on cassette and never bothered to upgrade it to cd. Question, is there any reason to now if I have Further Listening for Please? Anything exclusive on Disco?

11. c-eling

Less compression :D I'm pretty sure Further has the same mixes as Disco, I should dig them out and give em another whirl, been awhile
    Edit: I remember thinking the cassette sounded better than the cd when I got it

12. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Just gonna say, I always thought that single was faux-taking the piss. It's actually kind of a shot fired against irony, IMO, because to me it just sounds like utterly joyous disco that sees no daylight between one kind of pop and another. But given its pairing with "Seriously," I see how it could easily be taken as a knock on grandiose rock stars like Bono.

Man at C&A, KyriePage and sunspot42 like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I just ordered the original UK CD of Actually. I had it on release, but got rid of it when I bought the remaster in 2003.

shaboo and c-eling like this.
  14. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Putting Where the Streets Have No Name as a double A side backed with "Seriously" really did a disservice to the later, which got a fantastic remix for the single but ended not even being heard by most people because of "Streets" prominence.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    dustybooks likes this.
  15. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

And an oh-so-very-early-'90s video.

Never understood why this was left off Discography -- lack of space, I guess.

16. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

The Further Listening discs mainly collect b-sides and remixes from 7" and 12" releases, while the Disco albums remain separate entries in the PSB discography. Only the Full Horror version of "Suburbia" and the Italian Remix of "Paninaro" found their way from Disco to Further Listening 1984-1986, while the other four remixes remained (more or less) exclusive.

c-eling likes this.
  17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm not sure either should have been released as a single in the US. "The End Of The World" would have been a better choice. I'm also surprised "This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave" never got a single release - that would have been a longshot, but if it had taken off in the US it would have been big. I think there are a lot of people who'd feel an affinity for that particular realization...

Frosst, D.B. and shaboo like this.
  18. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Disco: great remix album. In the Night is outstanding. I'm still waiting for the missing remixes (e.g. It's a Sin, Heart, Always and Domino Dancing). Hope there will be a complete remix collection. After "Yes" I stopped buying PSB albums. Disco 2 etc. is not my cup of tea...

Man at C&A and Frosst like this.
  19. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

This was most certainly due to the fact that Seriously was released as a single in its own right in the US only. Other parts of the world paired this track with (the much more dominant) Streets for release. In addition the 7" Perfect Attitude Mix can (on CD) only be found on this US single, while those CD releases, where this track was paired with Streets, only offered the Extended Version and the Classical Reprise Version of Seriously. The 7" Mix was only available on vinyl and thus remained more or less unheard in Europe.

Willie McTell and Frosst like this.
  20. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Place is my absolute favorite from Behaviour and it's a shame that it didn't get a single release. Instead we got this terrible Streets cover. What were they thinking? No, this is not funny, it's just an awful display of bad taste ...

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks Shaboo - I will have to pull that tape out again soon and hear those mixes.

22. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I think everyone knows this but This Must Be The Place... was originally written for consideration as a Bond theme. At least, that's the rumor. Such an awesome song!

23. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Disco is one PSB cd I never picked up - I assumed all of it was on the Further Listening sets - seems I was wrong. May have to pick this up if I see it cheap.

c-eling likes this.
  24. chrrrd

chrrrd Well-Known Member

I was 11 when Bevahiour got released and admittedly didn't quite get neither Place nor Being Boring, as I'd been hoping for more tracks like So Hard and End of the World. But I agree, one of their best tracks. I prefer the extended mix(es) of that one to the album version.

Please? I like about it that it's the least polished sounding PSB record. Also, it contains some song-types they would never do again (Violence, I Want a Lover) and only as b-sides (Later Tonight). Violence is quite a strange song (which of course used to be my least favourite track for quite some time) in the PSB ouvre. The theme of menace, oppression, and darkness comes up a few times in their early tracks, but rarely this bleak. Sound and structure make this one kind of unique as well. Love it.
    I Want a Lover is one of the few songs with undisguised desire and excitement on display. Letting it all go. Not a very Pet Shop Boys thing to do. Almost out of character. Great.

Disco? Essential for a few reasons. The best version of In The Night. Suburbia - The Full Horror. 8:30mins of Paninaro. As definitive mid-80s Shep Pettibone mixes as they get (well New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle might be even better).

Frosst and JeffMo like this.
  25. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

As others have said, you should get Disco because these songs aren't on the Further Listening disc:

In the Night (Extended Mix) 6:28
    Opportunities (Version Latina) 5:30
    Love Comes Quickly (Shep Pettibone Mastermix) 7:38
    West End Girls (Shep Pettibone Disco Mix) 9:04

These remixes aren't labeled this way on the Disco sleeve, but these are their official names.

Willie McTell, jsayers and c-eling like this.