Poco Legend on MCA Coral

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beattles, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member Thread Starter

I picked up a copy of Poco Legend on a dark blue MCA Coral label that sounds great! Well balanced and deep bass, blows my original ABC (Masterdisc mastering) copy away. The MCA Coral has DWJ in script in the Deadwax. I was expecting SH! Anyone know who mastered this?

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MCA Coral labels were leftover from a budget line and MCA was using them up. I know of one pressing of Steely Dan/Can't Buy A Thrill with this label. DWJ did excellent mastering work. I have quite a few DWJ mastered MCA back catalogue 45 singles, they sound wonderful.

3. Beattles

I thought maybe Steve had crossed paths with DWJ at MCA. I was curious since this LP sounded so good

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I've got a couple of Jimmy Buffet MCA Corals with the rainbow label, and the sound is good, but the vinyl is really bad (noisy, although purchased new). I assume your vinyl's okay???

5. Beattles

The vinyl is pretty good. Not perfect, has some surface noise. It is a Platinum vinyl edition.

6. Bill Kilbourne

Bill Kilbourne Well-Known Member

To revise this thread, I recently bought a copy of this album with from an acquaintance w/ some other LPs for $1 each. It is on the ABC Records yellow sunburst label w/ Platinum Plus 37117 on the cover. The matrix is AA-1099-A / B MCAG2 w/ DWJ mastering. It's a freakin' amazing sounding record. Big soundstage, deep bass and very crisp sounding. The last tracks on each side are somewhat brighter than the others tracks. A few of the standout tracks for SQ are Spellbound, Crazy Love, & The Last Goodbye.
    I never was a huge fan of Poco, but i was aware that this was a very popular album and for good reason. I'm wondering how much better the MFSL version can be as this sounded hard to beat.

7. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

DWJ = Darryl Johnson

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thanks! Glad to know who he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.