Two parts warmth, one part analytical... shake and pour

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hobbes913, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobbes913

Hobbes913 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am in the market for a turntable and pre amp to match with my Hegel H3oo and Linn Majik 140s. I really love the sound of my setup, but don't know the relative perception of it being warm or neutral. I have read that the Hegel may be thought of as neutral to slightly warm and the Linn Majik as musical (rather than analytical). My question is this- without running my brick and mortar guy crazy with home demos- should I target a more lively analog set up (say Rega) or a set up that reached to cull a bit more detail and ere on analytical gear? I have always been appreciative of any responses. It's akin to going to the gym and straying a bit too close to the free weight guys and finding they're much nicer than guys that size have to be. Thanks in advance...

2. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Big fan of my rega p5, especially at the price I scored it used ... Using it in a "warm" setup with a tube integrated and Harbeth c7s with excellent results.

3. Hobbes913

Hobbes913 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Per usual I've been far too obtuse... Is the Hegel/Linn setup already perceived as warm and befitting of a bit of detail or might I pursue an even livelier front end?

4. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

"Warmth" is great for Winter listening!!!!!!

5. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Hard to get it all sorted. My sense would be something like a Sota table with a quiet SS phono preamp.

6. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

I don't know much about the Linn, but when I heard the Hegel I found it neutral, extended and detailed (but not etched).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.