Sorry but the whole 1990s Music makes me cringe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Good Guy, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

I dunno what Graham will say, but here's a quick list of stuff I listened to in the 90s that I still listen to today. I'm sure I forgot some stuff. I think most of this still stands up. YMMV.

Shellac - At Action Park and the early singles
    Mogwai - Come on Die Young
    Tortoise - Millions Now Living
    Sonic Youth - Goo & Dirty
    Pixies - Trompe Le Monde
    GBV - Under the Bushes Under the Stars
    Weezer - Weezer & Pinkerton
    Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
    Built to Spill - Perfect from Now On & Keep it Like a Secret
    Radiohead - The Bends & OK Computer
    Belle & Sebastien - If You're Feeling Sinister
    Rodan - Rusty
    Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
    The Jesus Lizard - Liar
    Nirvana - In Utero
    Slint - Spiderland
    GZA - Liquid Swords
    Brainiac - Hissing Prigs in Static Couture
    Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
    Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley (I am actually listening to this as I type)
    Queens of the Stone Age - S/T
    Polvo - pretty much every album they put out in the 90s
    Chavez - Ride the Fader
    Autechre - Tri Repetae
    Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
    Melvins - Houdini & Lysol
    Faith No More - Angel Dust
    Helium - The Dirt of Luck
    Catherine Wheel - Chrome
    Ride - Nowhere
    Helmet - Meantime
    Uncle Tupelo - No Depression
    Portishead - Dummy & s/t
    Bjork - Debut
    Stereolab - Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcement
    The Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
    Six Finger Satellite - Severe Exposure
    Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
    PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love & Rid of Me
    Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
    Tool - Aenima
    Rocket from the Crypt - Scream, Dracula, Scream!
    Jessamine - The Long Arm of Coincidence
    Labradford - E Luxo So
    Low - The Curtain Hits the Cast

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Marko L., kevintomb and ralphb like this.
  2. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

What is cool about a list like this, even though I really like a handful or so on your list, my list of best has a few dozen your list does not even hint at!!

There is a wealth of great 90s stuff indeed..

Bjork
    Tori Amos
    Liz Phair
    Moby
    Lush
    Just to hint at a few I love

octaneTom and ralphb like this.
  3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence?"

Lownote30 and kevintomb like this.
  4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

LOL, why pick on Green Day? - all of his 90s choices are dreadful!

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

This looks like the Stanford Tree.
    [​IMG]

6. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

I still listen to about 80% of these. Others who released great music in the 90s:

Ride
    Lush
    Swans
    Sebadoh
    Beta Band
    Seefeel
    Tortoise
    Guided By Voices
    Bedhead
    PJ Harvey
    Boo Radleys
    Sleater-Kinney
    Bikini Kill
    Olivia Tremor Control
    16 Horsepower
    Codeine
    Disco Inferno
    Friends of Dean Martinez
    Smog
    Galaxie 500
    Bongwater
    Angels of Light
    Arab Strap
    Belle & Sebastian
    Bark Psychosis
    Spiritualized
    Boards of Canada
    Mazzy Star
    Brian Jonestown Massacre
    The Clean
    Cat Power
    Flaming Stars
    Cranes
    Bailter Space
    Morphine
    Fugazi
    Lambchop
    Hood
    Pale Saints
    Pram
    Red House Painters
    Slowdive
    Slim Cessna's Auto Club
    Swirlies
    Songs: Ohia
    Thinking Fellers Union Local 282
    Tindersticks

In-Absentia, octaneTom and Tristero like this.
  7. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It's the only one I could speak on with authority. I'm actually a huge Green Day fan. :)

8. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

COME ON DUDE I LISTED IT LEAST LIKE HALF OF THOSE. :)

Man, how could I forget Sebadoh? Did you get the Bakesale reissue on grey marbled vinyl? It sounds great. As does that Ride Nowhere reissue.

The crazy thing is, I remember bands like Olivia Tremor and GBV constantly having The Beatles brought up as a reference point from reviewers. I bet if a lot of people here gave those catalogs a whirl they'd be into them. Whatever.

Can you point me to a few more Brain Jonestown Massacre albums? I like the new one and Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request from their older stuff, but I'm not super familiar w/ that band and have never really been able to dive into them - but I have a feeling I'd really like it if I knew where to go. Danke.

Which reminds me, forgot Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. And Boss Hog. OH and that ****ed up Pain Teens Beast of Dreams LP that I like to annoy everyone at work with.

In conclusion: the 90s!

kevintomb likes this.
  9. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

Not a dude :D

Just have the Sebadoh on CD. They are probably a Top 5 90s band for me.

Yes I started typing without scrolling the entire list.

As for BJM? I think the 96 albums are a good starting point.

Do you have Spotify? I've been working on playlists of my favorite songs from each decade from the 60s thru the 00s. Only about 1/3 done so each decade only has about 600 songs so far. Anyway can't figure out how to post the link on my phone. You might like my 90s playlist.

kevintomb and octaneTom like this.
  10. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

I do have Spotify, Im'ing you for username.

11. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

I think the 00's were worse.

At least the '90s brought great material from Oasis, U2, The Black Crowes, Alanis Morissette, Green Day and a bunch of others.

After American Idiot, Under Rug Swept, Costello Music, and All That You Can't Leave Behind, the 00's were pretty much a bust for me. I'll probably eat those words later...

12. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have to say , I have found the whole response to this thread very amusing. I was only giving a personal opinion about a period I lived through, watched a lot bands , bought a lot of records by & it has seemed to hit a raw nerve with a lot of you , particularly the Radiohead comments . I think if I said the Osmonds, Bieber , Hanson, Prog Rock etc I now deemed cringeworthy no one would have cared but because I listed the " fountain of your youth" a lot of 40 something's are really upset. The 90s are over & even the Strokes are a bunch of old men . Let's see if this decade shapes up . Five years to go.

13. Aguirre

Aguirre Member

I discovered an immense amount of great bands through the 90's...

Melvins
    Cows
    ETNICA
    Green Nuns of the Revolution
    Transwave
    Oblivians
    DVOA
    Hallucinogen
    Jesus Lizard
    Eat Static
    Bongwater
    Alice Donut
    Aphex Twin
    μ-Ziq
    Six Finger Satellite
    Blues Explosion

...and that's just off the top of my head, I know I'm missing tons- I used to buy one or two CD a day for a couple of years during the 90's... back when I could afford frivolities.

octaneTom likes this.
  14. Marko L.

Marko L. Forum Resident

No, people are upset because you said all music from a whole decade "STINKS". The work of hundreds of thousands, or millions, music makers just "STINKS". I don't think that too many people would have been upset if you'd only said: "I don't like the stuff I listened to in the '90s anymore" or "I didn't like the music I heard back then and I hate it now".

15. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

It says more about you than the decades. It says you only like music that is spoonfed to you. To you if the music being spoonfed isn't to your taste then there is something wrong with the industry and music and decade. I am proud to say everything I listen to, from today's music to centuries ago, I discovered on my own. I was not spoonfed them. My music taste would be extremely limiting if I let the radio, TV, etc shape my music taste. I don't understand why you don't get how limiting it is. You act as if music you like is supposed to be spoonfed. Really?

The problem isn't the music. It's you two. This misguided elitist attitude that anything after the 80s is bad music and anything during the 60s and 70s is the music of the Gods is saying more about the two of you than it does the music. Not only do you two feel as if what you like must be spoonfed to you, but you two proudly put yourselves on a pedestal to proclaim what you like is best and the rest is bad. I get the impression you two don't even want to try. The half-hearted attempts I've read speak volumes. You guys are so used to being spoonfed that any amount of effort is too much. Much easier to dismiss as bad.

anthontherun, CupOfDreams and Graham like this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

:laugh: Lord knows, you'd never pull a move like that, right Spaceman? I agree with some of what your saying about the "music died after 1980" crowd, but are you honestly (and very proudly) claiming that "everything I listen to. . . I discovered on my own"? Sorry, but everyone discovers music directly or indirectly through some form of media, whether it's the radio, magazines, internet, whatever.

17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Wow another rare fan of Chavez on this forum! They were one of my favorite bands of the 90's.

anthontherun likes this.
  18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Sorry, but they were the best I could come up with.

tkl7 likes this.
  19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Where did I say "crowning achievement"? There were no "crowning achievements" in the past 30 years.

20. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

When you keep repeating a word it starts to sound weird. Spoonfed.

tkl7 likes this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well you asked people if they agreed, disagreed or if you needed your head tested and that's pretty much what you got! :)

I think you need to accept that if you dismiss an entire decade of music you're going to get kick back and not just on this forum. Regardless of the subject matter, if you make a similar declaration elsewhere you're likely going to get kick back as well.

Blaming the kick back on 40 somethings upset with your opinion is rather lazy and typical of people who start blanket threads like these. It would be fairly easy for me to use the same logic and declare your dislike for the music of this era is because your band weren't as successful as other bands except for that one time that you blew Kula Shaker off the stage?? :) But is that really the case? Probably not.

I'm 40-something and don't like many of the bands you don't like from the 90's but I also like many of the bands you don't like. The fact that I disagree with your opinion isn't down to my age. I just don't believe the entire decade can be written off based on some mediocre bands because there were many great bands from that era.

wolfram, tkl7 and Marko L. like this.
  22. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

thats completely idiotic, and the stoopidest thing I've read on this entire thread.

I have mentioned several times on here that I have done all kinds of searching and listening.

You chose ONE comment to cherry pick and then decided I have a problem.

Adios.

23. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

He really just wanted to use the word "spoonfed" 50 times in the same post.

johnaltman, tkl7 and Wombat Reynolds like this.
  24. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

This site would have a Chernobyl-like meltdown if someone had posted "The Whole 1960s Music Makes Me Cringe." Yet this thread continues for 32 pages.....hmm.

Jeff Minn, anthontherun, tkl7 and 4 others like this.
  25. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

The funny (odd I guess) thing, is, given a different demographic, the replies or best decades and genres of music are all different again.

Ask a predominantly younger or female or African American cross section what they think, and you wind up with totally different results.

I remember most all adults when I was a kid, ( back in the early 70's) that laughed at most all rock music of the time, as juvenile noise junk.

The same stuff many of us cherish so much in here. It is all highly subjective, based on age/race/sex a LOT,etc.

A few of those people that are still alive, that I keep in contact with still insist that the 50's and early 60's was by far the best music. Doowop and rock and roll were where things peaked.

It all went downhill with Hippies, drugs, long hair, electric guitars with fuzzy sound etc.

octaneTom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.