McCartney Album "NEW" (2013), part22

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Freedom really is somet
    Yeah-sort of. That London video is hilarious. Watching those old Wings videos is amazing- they have a very amateurish charm IMO

2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Thanks for sharing this story. However I don t share your feelings towards Paul here. He might have behaved rude but it s nothing compared to that girls stalking behavour . If someone doesn t want your company or your gift it s very disrespectful to neglect it. The only thing surprising in this story is that Paul didn t seems to have guards at the occasion to protect him from stalkers and worse. Just like anyone else Paul must have the right to some privacy and also being in a bad mood. I utterly dislike so called fans who think they have some kind of rights to the artists private zone.
    Conclusion- Paul can occasionally behave bad and lose his temper. I guess that goes for the rest of us to.
    Personally I v had one encounter with Paul- in the very early seventies after a gig with Wings. He signed my tour-programme and utterns a polite Thanks when I said I liked the show. Unfortunately I lost that signed tour-prigramme along the way

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Ray: now you are even harassing yourself! It's contagious....

;) Arnie

DmitriKaramazov and theMess like this.
  4. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I agree completely in principal, except for the fact that in this case, all we three were doing was standing on a pubic street, across from the hotel's property. (We weren't in front of Paul's home or anything). This was not his private zone, just saying.

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

No-but it s his private zone who he wants to talk to and recieve gifts from. Don t wanna defend Paul just put the incident in another perspective- the thin line between obsessive fandom and stalking.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  6. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Problem is, how is a person supposed to know this until the moment where they attempt to talk to him? On any other given day, this might have been perfectly fine with Paul. It is true that the hotel manager told us Paul did not want fans at the hotel -- however, it's the manager's duty to try and discourage people from loitering about, whether he has to lie or not.

I understand the other perspective. But from my perspective, it's not like you run into a golden opportunity to say hello to Paul every day, after being a fan for several decades. It's really great that you got a chance to have your programme signed by Paul (and Mr Jinks got his NEW album signed) at one of Paul's gigs... but there are thousands and thousands of people who attend those gigs, and obviously Paul cannot sign for everyone -- and here in New York, I've sat way up in the nose bleed sections sometimes.

In 1993 (two years earlier), I did get a nice autograph from Paul when he was at that same hotel. He was in the city to appear on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE. After waiting for some time over two days (not consecutively; I mean several hours Friday and then again on Saturday), Paul did send John Hammel outside to collect the fans' items the second day, and Paul signed them from inside the hotel, and then our items were returned to us. I am very happy with this autograph... it's a nice, full "Paul McCartney", with an underline... I just that I thought it would be nice to try one more time in '95, to see if I could say 'hello' and get an in-person signature.

But as you can see, my effort did pay off in 1993. You have to make the effort sometimes... can't just expect that the autograph will come to your door.

7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

If I understod your story Paul made it clear that he was not interested but the girl continued and even handed over the gift to Linda when Paul refused it. IMO that s overstepping several lines.
    Paul was in a bad mood and lost his temper. Guess its bound to happen once in s while. None of his fans have any right to his privacy- none

BellaLuna, Billy Infinity and theMess like this.
  8. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

You're 100% right on that.
    Which is why I did not approach the limo, when I could see Paul was in a foul mood.

9. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Gee I can't imagine why Paul would be irritated by "fans" lying in wait for him outside of a New York city building when he's on private business. Hmm. That's a puzzler.:wtf:

Billy Infinity, theMess and hamholio like this.
  10. Fivebyfive

I guess that's an indication of how much the other 3 continued to resent Paul -- for making more money, for being more successful in the 70s and even 80s, for being right about Klein -- that they weren't interested in setting the record straight. Sad. But jealousy and resentment are not easy to be rid of for anyone, let alone 4 spoiled rock stars used to getting whatever they wanted.

By the way, I bought a copy of your book and it's on the way!

11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Or perhaps they're human and their memory just got distorted. I'd be blowed if I could remember an argument that a couple of my friends had 30 years ago...

Fivebyfive likes this.
  12. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Or Paul saying (during the concert) go ahead Eric, play a solo.

13. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

I actually quite prefer Demon's Dance to Hellp to Pay. He's at least stretching a bit in Demon's and that's nice to see. It's quite unlike anything else in the canon.

theMess likes this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Enjoy the book!

Well the resentment certainly ran deep regarding Paul. George quickly got over the way John had treated him, played on "Imagine" and he "always looked up to (him)". But Paul, on the other hand - you can still see the resentment in George towards Paul two plus decades later during "Anthology".

15. Fivebyfive

After 22 pages, I'm not sure there's anything new to say about New. So, in the spirit of offering something new, I would like to give my wish list for Paul for 2015 (acknowledging up front that he'll probably never change from the way he's doing things now, more's the pity). But I think he could really thrive artistically and reputation-wise by making some fairly simple changes:

1. Take 2015 off touring. End on a high note with the hugely successful Out There tour, after making loads of money and garnering great reviews. Your band is great but together you've all done it all. And now it's starting to seem like a profitable rut for all of you. Let Rusty, Brian, Wix, and Abe go off on their own.
    2. Work in 2015 with Youth for another Fireman album. In 2016, do a Fireman tour -- only small venues with an entirely new band.
    3. Abandon the reissue of Tug of War/Pipes of Peace, and instead put together a "best of Paul from the 80's" collection, with the best tracks from TOW, POP, and GMRTBS. Get someone with some taste and some cojones to pull it together.
    4. Focus on a box set of rarities, B sides, and unreleased tracks. Get someone with some taste and some cojones to pull it together. Alternately, focus on Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway.
    5. Spend your year off working with Barry Miles on the sequel to Many Years From Now. You're not getting any younger.
    6. If you don't want to do a second autobiography, then put together a photo book like Ringo did. Not the usual concert shots we've all seen but the behind the scenes moments. We all know you took a ton of private photos of the Beatles on tour and at home. Pull them together in a coffee table book, supplemented by any of Linda's Beatles and post-Beatles photos. Add stuff from Wings, the MJ period, and your solo era.
    7. Stop dyeing your hair. Dude, it's just silly. Stop looking like you're trying to reverse the aging process. Stop worrying so much that gray hair means you won't be recognized. We already know you'll look good in gray hair because you had it before, and we already know your hair has become one of those things that people either: (1) ridicule you for or (2) pretend it's not an issue out of respect/politeness even though it looks dreadful. So go gray. And get a decent haircut. (this is said jokingly but sincerely).
    8. If you're looking for a way to leave a legacy behind, why not turn some of your various properties that you don't use into a series of music studios aimed at helping young artists record their albums without signing their lives away to a record company. For example, take the property in Scotland and Arizona and wherever else and set up McCartney Rude Studios. Build a recording studio at each site. Artists would apply to a five-member artistic board to live and work for 6 months or so on the property while they record their album.

Yorick and Mazzy like this.
  16. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Exactly. John was murdered by a fan lying in wait, seeking an autograph. He got the autograph in person, but it wasn't enough. In that context, I think I would have been far less friendly than Paul was.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    BellaLuna, theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Well, "he" was there for something other than an autograph, sadly.

18. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I see the Japanese release of this NEW collector's edition has SHM-CDs. Do they offer any real audio quality improvement?

19. Paul H

Well, I did offer up my summary of the recording sessions and asked for comments (and that got ignored) and I posted some comments about a couple of snippets in the DVD (and that also got ignored). Maybe folks have run out of steam and are just hanging out here for lack of anywhere else to go to talk Macca. I mean, it's not like there are any Archive Collection releases imminent or anything... :)

20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I wasn't ignoring you, Paul -- I just didn't have anything I could add! I do think that trying to construct a chronology of the NEW sessions is a worthwhile pursuit, and I will try to see what I can dig up from the articles I saved while the album was in progress.

21. Paul H

Yeah, I'm aware that there may not be much that folks could add (was just being facetious!) but perhaps someone might just have a snippet of info from an interview, or just an observation about a pattern I may have missed.

theMess likes this.
  22. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I don't think that is entirely true. Obviously George felt resentment towards John, since he made a point of not even mentioning him in his autobiography, "I Me Mine", which hurt John deeply, as he expressed in interviews. Unlike Paul, George did not resolve these issues with John, prior to John's death. For such a self-proclaimed, spiritually enlightened person, George appeared to be a very bitter, sour person. It's no wonder George's sour disposition was always at odds with McCartney's sunny disposition.

23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, "I Me Mine" isn't the greatest "autobiography", by any stretch of the imagination. But please check the index and you'll see more page references for John Lennon than for Paul McCartney OR Ringo Starr...

anthontherun, Frank and theMess like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

What I would see happening regarding Paul 2015 is
    Stop touring- after a last intimate gig in my garden
    Release Secret life of a Party girl
    Enjoy his life as a senior citizen

theMess likes this.
  25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

"On December 8, 1980, John Lennon was assassinated by Mark Chapman. Harrison hadn't reconciled with Lennon after the breakup of the Beatles. I Me Mine didn't even mention Lennon, and when Lennon reached out to Harrison after discovering this, Harrison did not respond. His public statement offered a reserved, if not especially profound or feeling, conclusion: "To rob life is the ultimate robbery in life." Harrison reframed "All Those Years Ago," a song originally about Ringo Starr, to honor Lennon, and added it to the reworked Somewhere in England. The song went to Number Two."
    Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/george-harrison/biography#ixzz3Hjhw7ElZ
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

"All Those Years" ago, such a heartfelt tribute, which was essentially a Ringo reject...how lame!!!

I guess to say he did not even mention him was any overstatement:
    Selina: "In an interview before his death (Playboy), John said he was really hurt by you, that you never mentioned in your autobiography any of the influence that he had on you."
    "George: "He was annoyed 'cos I didn't say that he'd written one line of this song 'Taxman'. But I also didn't say how I wrote two lines of 'Come Together' or three lines of 'Eleanor Rigby', you know, I wasn't getting into any of that. I think, in the balance, I would have had more things to be niggled with him about than he would have had with me!"
    Selina: "He said, that you idolised him as a young boy ..."
    George (interrupting): "That's what he thought. I liked him very much, he was a groove. He was a good lad. But, at the same time, he misread me. He didn't realise who I was, and this was one of the main faults of John and Paul. They were so busy being John and Paul, they failed to realise who else was around at the time."

The point stands. George had much animosity and resentment towards John. Also, he had a chip on his shoulder, because he was woefully aware that he was, and always would be, a lesser talent than John and Paul.

scoostraw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.