Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

I don't think so. Their press release states that this collection concludes their retrospective 80s era revisiting and touring those albums. I am convinced they will continue with the 90s and 2000s sometime in the future and they will release similar boxsets covering those albums. Maiden are so huge by now that those albums will sell in large quantities too. There is a reason why the original pressings of those albums are sold for 60-200 euros.

2. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

The only reason why those albums sold for so much is because of how small the pressings were and people holding on to their copies. I would be very surprised if the reissue those albums on vinyl. Most were probably digitally recorded anyway so there would be little benefit to having them on vinyl except for the artwork being nice and big.

I know I have very little interest in purchasing them. There aren't enough songs I like from them. Seventh Son was the last great album they made IMO. I'm guessing I'm not alone in that feeling.

johnny q likes this.
  3. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

2000 albums are severly compressed on CD. Would like to have them on vinyl with full dynamics. Think the PD's were but im not sure.

Spirit Crusher, SeventhGun and Dusan like this.
  4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

So....Powerslave arrived yesterday with some of the new singles:

First off, these are the first singles I received that are not warped - score! :)

Powerslave sounds really good. I have a US original and this one sounds "thicker" for lack of a better term. Nice high end... I am happy.

With the sound.....

I am on the other hand a bit miffed with my pressing. It is slightly dished, has "dimples" in the vinyl (ala TNOTB) and an inch long scratch on side two! The scratch is pretty bad but by the grace of God.....doesn't cause any pops or clicks.

5. Mij Retrac

If you have a US pressing you shouldn't be miffed, that is pretty typical for URP. That is why I am buying all my copies from Amazon so I can swap out the bad copies. I did it for LAD already and found I needed to make a hybrid between the two to make a decent copy.

johnny q likes this.
  6. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

Even Fear of the Dark and Brave New World sell for insane amounts, and those are very popular. I don't think they will skip single albums. Maybe they will press less of those, but not skip.

Dusan likes this.
  7. Mij Retrac

Well those are probably two of there best albums after Seventh Son so that would make sense especially because they probably didn't press many of those to begin with. I just don't see a big enough market for these later albums for it to be worth the effort.

8. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Picture Discs have good sound. Surface noise is terrible though especially on AMOLAD. Luckily AMOLAD actually sounds better than the others on CD. Dance of Death is probably the best one on picture disc.

9. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

I once bought the Brave New World one for a healthy amount. It was all rice crispies, even after double vacuum cleaning! I returned it. Unlistenable.
    I'm not even sure that the master was better than the CD.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  10. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Forum Resident

Question: how does that work, exactly? When you "swap out" bad copies on Amazon, don't you just get another URP copy that typically also has flaws? Or do you just keep swapping mutiple times until you get a rare URP copy you can live with? I've been ordering the UK versions, but if there is a system to ensure you get decent US pressings, I'd love to know what it is.

11. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

It had some better instrument separation. I don’t mind the Brave New World CD too much either though. Dance of Death and The Final Frontier are abysmal on CD. There’s been some fantastic live discs that need a black vinyl release as well (Rock in Rio, Death on the Road, Flight 666, En Vivo!). Probably the re-release of Maiden England as well as I don’t think it ever originally came out on vinyl.

SeventhGun likes this.
  12. Mij Retrac

Not all URP pressings are terrible. I generally find I have a 50/50 chance of getting a good copy so one exchange is usually enough. When I say good I mean mostly flat and not as obvious with the crackles and pops (not as obvious unless listening through headphones).

13. Mij Retrac

Maiden England came out on PD,I bought it as a lightning deal on Amazon last Christmas, still not a good deal since it sounded like the CD with surface noise. Most post 2000 stuff have CD quality masters so vinyl would just sound like the CD.

14. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Heard a needledrop regarding brave new world. Thought it sounded a little bit better than cd but could have been imagination.

15. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

The Dance of Death picture disc is utterly @#$king horrible. Terrible surface noise; off-center, so lots of warble; and atrocious inner-groove distortion. There might be good sound somewhere in there, I don't know. Probably one of the worst records I've had the misfortune of hearing. A shameless ****ing cash-grab, as the album deserves to have good mastering, not the bloated, nuked CD.

16. Back 2 Vinyl

Back 2 Vinyl Well-Known Member

Here's the Wicker Man on picture disc... just to give you and idea of the sound and while you're at it tell me suggestions and tips on what can I do to improve the sound of my recordings...

17. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Lol I said best one. I never said good. I only said they have good sound. It’s obviously just underneath all the other crap which is why I think a quality black vinyl would make it sound good.

18. Mij Retrac

I have the hi res DVD-A and I don't recall it sounding much if any better than the CD.

19. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Also got the DVD-A of DOD.
    Extracted the 6.1 content and merged into 2ch. Great DR but the mix gets funky and it still sounds compressed somehow. Kickdrum gets bigger but rest is still very compressed.

I don't however think it was brickwalled while production/mixing. It's possible they could do a great sounding vinyl by simply remaster it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  20. wkcchampion

wkcchampion Well-Known Member

Nice pop corn factory!

Back 2 Vinyl likes this.
  21. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I could never get the 5.1 audio on the DVD-A to convert to stereo without really screwing up the intros to Dance of Death and Paschendale.

22. Back 2 Vinyl

Back 2 Vinyl Well-Known Member

HAHAHA!! Thanks man! But though I appreciate sarcasm and like those kind of jokes, I would actually like some constructive critique, is the level too high? Do I need to clean the stylus? or the vinyl? is it bad alignment? I know the vinyl is not perfect but man, I live in México, having found Brave New World here is already a strike of luck... as you see I don't have many options here, so I get the vinyl I can get...

superstar19 likes this.
  23. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Powerslave, I'm happy to report, sounds very good. As a bonus, the United pressing is decent too.

The singles are hit and miss - from warps and mislabeling to relatively flat and blemish free. Sound quality varies, but that probably has more to do with the source - early live stuff to slicker production in the mid-80's.

24. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Oh, I completely agree! I would get it on black (or colored, as long as it isn't picture) vinyl in a heartbeat, if it didn't have the CD's nuked mastering. Sorry for the tone of my post - I'm just completely fed up with how Maiden's powers-that-be have treated their catalog. I think picture discs are cynical, calculated cash-grab. /rant

ArpMoog and jeffgt14 like this.
  25. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I don’t think you can do anything about the pops there. It’s not bad once the song kicks in just the beginning and end. It does sound a little bass heavy which I don’t remember the vinyl sounding like that. Could just be youtube compressing it.

Back 2 Vinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.