Post the album that marked the beginning of the decline for that artist..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

To an extent about Tattoo You I agree, although I like about 3/4's of the songs. And, it has one of the greatest opening songs on any album in "Start Me Up" and I'll never stop.

2. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

3. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

No doubt if there was a creative force in Bananarama, it was Siobhan Fahey. Inspired by The Supremes The Shangri-Las, she hated where the band was going with S/A/W and went on to form the glam-inspired Shakespears Sister, who enjoyed one of the longest-running UK number ones (8 weeks) with "Stay". I saw her at a small showcase gig in 2002 for a projected solo album (finally released in 2005). Musically and visually, it couldn't have been further removed from Bananarama. She was playing electric guitar and was made-up like a member of The Cult.

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

[​IMG]

Next to Sade for least albums over the longest period of time. I know she basically made the same record over and over again, but the preceding A Day Without Rain was absolutely one of her best. This is very lacklustre. She must be due for another album now? Surely!

5. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I know some might disagree:
    [​IMG]
    They recovered once again on El Camino, but Turn Blue is by far their weakest effort to date.

octaneTom likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Start Me Up and Waiting On A Friend were the saving graces of Tattoo You. It's not a horrible album by any means. The preceeding 4 were better, though.

Tree of Life and JohnnyQuest like this.
  7. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

Yeah, that's one of the few good tracks he did post Tanx. That extended version (from the Bump 'n' Grind album) is much rawer than the version which came out as a single, and consequently much better IMO.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Huh???

blind_melon1 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  9. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

[​IMG]

After a 11-year hiatus, this simply wasn't the great comeback album most fans had hoped for. At 70 minutes the album was much too long and lacked cohesion. While it still contained a number of excellent songs, several tracks ("Cafe Europa", "Krishna Blue") were rather slickly-produced and bordered on the bland. Despite the odd flashes of brilliance on later albums, as far as I'm concerned he never recovered.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    Millington likes this.
  10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Seriously now...

Were The Beatles the only band who never released a poor album?

11. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Disagree, for a poor follow up, it sold over 7 million albums and some songs are performed today live from the album. What hurt Leppard was they didn't want to wait another 4 or 5 years until another release. But trying to save Steve Clark from his ultimate demise detracted them from the process of recording the album in a timely manner. When Adrenalized was finally released, the grunge scene was hitting it's stride. I do think IMO, it was a little to much like Hysteria sound wise and didn't have an edge to it. In other words, to pop sounding. But for a band having to lose their heart & soul and still make a record, this one wasn't bad at all.

12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Where Fleetwood Mac began!

13. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Her daughter is one-half of "Johnny Swim", a husband and wife singer-songwriter duo. She's as beautiful as her mother and sings just as well.

14. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

The next time you run into Paul McCartney you should ask him.

15. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

Actually I love this album and everything after it up to Pump, my suggestion would be

[​IMG]

coffeetime, Grant, Coricama and 2 others like this.
  16. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

They released a couple but even those gave us some of the greatest pop/rock songs of all time.

17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Don't leave me in suspense - which couple are the poor Beatles albums?

18. That album is fantastic!

stef1205 likes this.
  19. That's the only Kinks album I own. Love it!

20. Wilco is one of the saddest cases in my musical world. I loved Being There, Summerteeth and YHF. After that, they totally lost me.

21. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Beatles For Sale,Yellow Submarine & Let it Be :hide:

pablo fanques and ARK like this.
  22. SOTSOG is awful, as is HC, After that though they got back on track.

23. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

It's funny seeing what people believe was the beginning of the end for some artist. The one that stands out to me though is Springsteen. You see some say "Human Touch", one other "Born In The USA". I liked both these albums, A LOT and from the sales of them so did others. I would even venture to say that "Born In The USA" catapulted Springsteen to super stardom status. With MTV and the "Dancing In The Dark" playing round the clock, the album made Springsteen cool and hip at the time. IMO Springsteen started becoming out of touch with his fan base with the release of "The Ghost Of Tom Joad". Since then and in latter albums, he's become more like Dylan in his singing ( Incoherent with lot's of mumbling) and it's becoming tiresome.

24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Leave BFS alone! I'd take that over Help! in a heartbeat. Yellow Submarine isn't really a proper album, though it's relatively lackluster by Fab standards, as is Let It Be. But as you say, even then they had some shining moments.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  25. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Not a clue have you? 41 years later, 49 albums, line-up changes and their still around. Much to your chagrin I see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.