Best "deleted scene" ever included on a DVD/Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by toptentwist, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought the two new Led Zeppelin remasters yesterday.

I think the 2nd discs are kind of boring - for the most part - but Hasting is selling them locally for a good price (13.99 for the two disc sets) and I bought the other three last June so I'm just continuing down the path I started.

Listening to "Stairway to Heaven" is now impossible for me without imagining the deleted scene from Cameron Crowe's "Almost Famous"... the one where the kid plays "Stairway to Heaven" for his mom, in its entirety... to show her show special the song is...

She sits there poker faced the whole time - and the boy and his friends give an "air guitar" "air drum" "air microphone" rock-a-long performance worthy of anyone who has ever sat around and listened to the song in a comfortable environment (i.e. alone or with other zep fans).

Crowe probably cut the scene from the movie because its too long.

And the wierd thing is the "special feature" doesn't have the song - but there is a suggestion to queue up the song and play it as you watch the scene. If you time it just right - it works perfectly.

It was a pretty rare deleted scene for a while - on a special "deluxe" DVD set - but I now have it on a Blu-Ray (never could find the special DVD).

Anyway - listening to the song - about four or five times in the last two days - I've been "air guitar"-ing along quite merrily - LOL

Highly recommended viewing...

I think its on youtube - if you want to see it easily.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Drifter and Mark B. like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I have the Untitled 2 Disc DVD, the UK in fact. Also, the Classic vinyl.

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

From High Fidelity

conjotter, levi, Drifter and 21 others like this.
  4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

This:

"And what do the cops have? C'mon think."

ReadySteady likes this.
  5. First one I thought of.

I know that it has an error or two in it as well as changing the flow, but a great scene.

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

This deleted sequence from Boogie Nights is phenomenal and uses Fleetwood Mac's Tusk to great affect. Contains drug-taking, bad language and violence.

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm 99% sure that he didn't have that scene in the movie because Zep would not give him sync rights for the song.

It was an especially difficult scene to play, because Francis McDormand is a Zep fan, and had to sit there stone faced...but gradually allowing the song to win her over.

Drifter likes this.
  9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Jeepers Creepers 2 the desert death scene should been left in.

Suspect Zero could of been a sequel.

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Priceless Phillip Seymor Hoffman:

11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

The deleted press party scenes from This Is Spinal Tap are hilarious, especially if you've ever attended one.

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The deleted scenes in LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS, the Jim Carrey children's film, are often better than the movie. Many excised scenes appear to be improvs, presumably deleted because they were too subtle for children, and are well worth investigating on the DVD.

13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

This scene is more notorious for *not* being included on the Blu-ray editions (nor, I believe, the DVD versions). The extended “dolphin trainer” scene from the first Ace Ventura movie. It’s not my favorite movie or anything, but that bit was one of the better bits in the movie. It’s technically not in the “theatrical” cut, which is why later home video releases going back to the “theatrical version” don’t include it. But it’s a shame they can’t even bring themselves to put it in there via seamless branching or at least tack it on as a “bonus” or “deleted” scene.
    I like that bit enough that the couple of times I’ve put the DVD on, I’ll stop the movie at that point, and jump to YouTube or something to watch the scene. It’s not that it’s integral to the plot, but it’s like watching a solid comedy and having it missing one of the top five or ten jokes.

14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I’ve also just recently finally watched the “Producer’s Cut” of “Halloween 6” on blu-ray, and it kind of essentially consists of roughly 50% deleted scenes. It’s not a good film particularly, but interesting, and the making of the film is a very interesting story. I don’t know if I’ve often, if ever, watched an “alternate version” of a film where half of it is completely different (and the “deleted” stuff wasn’t just cut out, but subsequently replaced with a mixture of new scenes and odd re-shoots of the same scenes done differently).

DiabloG likes this.
  15. toptentwist

There is at least one other Zep song in the movie ("The Rain Song") and maybe some others.

I think they could have worked out a deal with Crowe, simply because they knew who he was. I seem to remember reading something about Plant watching the film and laughing about the "I am a golden god!" scene - apparently something Crowe took directly from Plant.

I thought the reason the music was missing was they didn't want to pay a lot for a bonus feature on a disc.

It's fairly easy to sync up using an Ipod and an AppleTV. I didn't have to resort to a turntable (which would have been tougher to use).

16. toptentwist

I forgot the part about the husband instructing her to sell the records and send her a check.

I remember reading the book before seeing the movie and noticing the scene was gone.

I'm not certain that the wife in the book was following her husband's instructions.

The funniest part is where he begs if he can pay her $10 for one record.

I'm not sure the negotiation is in the book.

In retrospect, I think the wife was justified to sell his stuff at extremely low prices.

I also liked the part in the movie where the nerd guy from the movie is quick to help
    him reorganize his collection. And there are definitely some real world Barry characters.

17. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

The softball scene in Napoleon Dynamite.
    "Who's the only one here knows the illegal ninja moves from the government?"
    :D

Dudley Morris likes this.
  18. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

This deleted scene from Waiting for Guffman is great. Parker Posey's character auditioning...

Chip TRG, rwil and ReadySteady like this.
  19. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Well, I'd say the whole alternate ending of 1986's Little Shop of Horrors. The original ending from the play, and the one Frank Oz and Rick Moranis were adamant about keeping, but the test audiences won out.

That being said, I still like the theatrical version ending, but love the notorious alternate ending.

Jeff

Billy Budapest likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The band is very rigid about Stairway in particular, and as far as I know, has not allowed anyone to use it in a movie.

Drifter likes this.
  21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

This scene reminds me of this song recorded by two different friends of mine. Charlie King and John McCutcheon. Here is John performing "The Red Corvette"(sorry for the tangent)

hi_watt likes this.
  22. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Twin Peaks - The Missing Pieces.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  23. toptentwist

On a different note, I read something by Jackson Browne one time about how he never turns down a request to use a song in a film.

I think he said he considers it flattering and trusts that the request meant something to the person making the request - so he signs the paperwork without really reading it or paying attention it it.

This practice eventually caught up with him as he was watching the move "The Royal Tenenbaums".

In my opinion, the director, Wes Anderson, has a pretty good track record of picking songs that fit well in his films. In this case, he used the song "These Days" written by Jackson Browne, but Anderson used the original recording by Nico, which features a very young Jackson Browne on acoustic guitar.

Browne said he found himself sitting in a theater, or watching the film in his home theater, and as the song started, he immediately focused on the acoustic guitar - telling himself "Hey, I used to play like that when I was younger!" (something about the style of picking).

Browne claims he sat there for a while (before the vocal started), not aware that his thoughts about the "style of guitar playing" were especially germane because he was listening to a 35 year old recording of himself - LOL

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when he realized what he was listening to.

24. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Not really a deleted scene per se, but these are some outtakes of a couple of scenes that never made it into Boogie Nights. John C. Reilly brings his improv A-game. :laugh:

25. toptentwist

I bet every person who has ever worked in a studio has had a similar experience - LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.