What Do You Think Is The Ultimate J Geils Band album? Or Song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

What???????? Wait a minute.

I have been keeping an eye on Peter's website. He usually separates his solo dates from J Geils dates. It looked like he was opening for Segar. I just saw Segar a year or so ago so I was going to pass (it would be a road trip for me). But if it is actually J Geils opening I may have to rethink.

2. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Ultimate song: Give It To Me
    I have not heard all their albums but I do like Bloodshot. I got Nightmares, Freeze Frame and You're Gettin' Odd.

3. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Yes, J. Geils Band is currently opening for Seger and they are also playing some standalone shows (without Seger). The current lineup is Peter, Magic Dick, Danny Klein and Seth Justman; no J. Geils or Stephen Bladd.

4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

What a shame. He should still perform anyway whether he is suing them or not.

5. Frippwire

Frippwire Well-Known Member

My favorite album is Blow Your Face Out but my favorite song is probably Monkey Island from the album of the same name.

6. RickJ

RickJ Forum Resident

It'll always be the first one for me, but every one of the lps from the original lineup stand well on their own, nary a clunker in the bunch. Also much respect for the Rhino 2-cd anthology, supremely well done.

Song is a tougher one, but "Wait" is the first that comes to mind.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They need to reissue the Atlantic albums with bonus unissued, non-lp and live tracks.

Hep Alien and JasonA like this.
  8. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

Give It To Me (the album version) is the ultimate J Geils song to me.

JuanTCB and BGLeduc like this.
  9. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

I have seen well over a thousand live shows in the last 38 years and the J. Geils Band was the best live band I ever saw with the exception of Bruce during the Darkness tour. First time I saw them was at the Palladium during the Monkey Island tour and they were amazing. Peter Wolf is one of the best live frontmen ever and He was a non-stop whirling dervish in his prime.

The one album I always go back to is Full House. The band is absolutely on fire and if you do not at least tap your toes to this, there is something wrong with you. I have seen the band twice since they reunited in 1999 with the last time being at Atlantic City dueling their last tour in 2012. They are older and definitely have slowed down but are still a force live. I am waiting for some good seats to be released for the MSG show with Bob Seger as I plan to attend.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Full House. Also love The Morning After and Bloodshot. Great band to drink to.

11. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Saw them open up for the Stones in 1981 at the LA Coliseum in support of their Love Stinks album. Also on the bill were UFO sans Schenker, George Thorogood, and Prince who was an unknown.

Am not a fan of Freeze Frame as that sounded too watered down and a sellout quite frankly in comparison to all that came before.

12. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The Freeze Frame album was huge in high school.

13. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

Full House is the ultimate live album. It rocks your socks off!

John Fell likes this.
  14. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Full House or Blow Your Face Out. Give It To Me.

15. rokritr

rokritr Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

I went to the Friday afternoon gig (October 9) at the L.A. Coliseum, not the Sunday one (October 11)....At our gig Prince got booed off the stage and was pelted with tennis balls and shoes. LOL...it was memorable. He did fine with the Hendrix-like opening song, but then went into a song called "you can jack-me-off" (or something to that effect)...and that's when the tennis balls and footwear began hailing down on them

However, UFO, definitely wasn't in the line-up at the L.A. gigs....it was Prince, followed by George Thorogood, then J. Geils Band, followed by the Stones. Unless the Sunday show's line-up was different, although I've never heard that before and doesn't seem to be any mention of that around anywhere.

You may be thinking of another festival-style gig you went to around that time as there were some very cool ones. A year or so prior to that I saw a cool fest at San Diego stadium with Pat Travers (actually Shakey Street, then Pat Travers), then UFO (sans Schenker), then Cheap Trick and finally Blue Oyster Cult. UFO was GREAT even without Schenker, and Cheap Trick was really cool, but BOC was really surprisingly boring....The stadium was seriously emptying out pretty much after they started.....Anyway, a lot of those fests do run together at times :righton:

thgord likes this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I wish they would release a box set or new 2 cd compilation that contained all of their non-lp sides. Some of them have still not been released on lp or cd to my knowledge.

Here are the ones that I can remember.

Dead Presidents - 1972 non-lp b-side I Don't Need You No More - appears on Rhino's Houseparty Anthology 2 cd set
    Where Did Our Love Go (studio version) - 1976 non-lp single a-side - appears on The Best Of J.Geils Band lp & Rhino's Houseparty Anthology 2 cd set
    Peanut Butter - 1976 non-lp single a-side - appears on Rhino's Houseparty Anthology 2 cd set
    Magic's Mood -1976 non-lp b-side Peanut Butter - not released on lp or cd to my knowledge
    Trying To Live My Life Without You - 1977 non-lp b-side I Do - appears on The Best Of J. Geils Band Vol. 2 lp - not released on cd to my knowledge
    Revenge - 1978 non-lp b-side One Last Kiss - not released on lp or cd to my knowledge

Some of these sources are now out of print. Not sure why they didn't just put them all on Houseparty. It also interesting but I don't believe the Best Of J Geils Band Vol. 2 was ever released on cd.

Finally releasing the Deluxe Edition of Live - Full House would also be cool! Not sure if any other tracks are in the vaults for Live - Blow Your Face Out but if so, releasing those would be cool as well.

Hep Alien, BluesOvertookMe and JasonA like this.
  17. serge

serge Forum Resident

Blow Your Face Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

No Anchovies Please

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  19. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

Full House is a winner, Whammer Jammer let me hear ya Dickie!

20. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Tangent - When I saw the Stones in '81 Thorogood opened. He raised the roof (it was a stadium). It rained a little and he was rocking out in the rain. Then Journey brought the crowd down. Then the Stones picked us up again.
    The closest I got to seeing J Geils in those days was when they opened for Heart and The Who in Toronto. But due to massive traffic on the QEW (and getting pulled over by the cops) we arrived half way through Heart missing J Geils. Not seeing them was always the biggest hole in my concert attending career until I corrected it a couple years ago.

21. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

For me it's "Must of Got Lost" with that whacky rap intro about Rapunzel and stuff. I just listened to the entire album a couple of days ago and those guys could ROCK!

22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Take out your false teeth mama, I wanna suck on your gums!

23. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

Love these guys. Full House and the Rhino 2 disc anthology are great. Must of Got lost is probably my favorite.

24. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I'm going to have to check this band out a little deeper. I guess I would say I first heard of the J. Geils band during their 80's run of songs that I heard, never bought. Although "Centerfold", "Freeze Frame" etc., were catchy, the style for me at least was way to poppy. I'll have to give some of their earlier stuff a try.

25. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Full House is my favorite with Monkey Island 2nd and their debut 3rd. But hell.....they're ALL great !

As far as best song just pick any one off Full House. They were a fine studio band but were MONSTERS live and Full House proves it .

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.