A question re the new releases of The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Relayer on CD/DVD-A/Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Capt Fongsby, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats. Thread Starter

I haven't bought any of these because I'm not interested in remixes. But the flat transfers of the original mixes intrigue me.

To avoid having to read through a million posts, I'd be much obliged if someone could post a few words about how the flat transfers compare to the original Atlantic cds.

(Some of you guys must have compared them, right?)

2. Capt Fongsby

3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I like the flat transfers from the new sets better personally.

4. Capt Fongsby

Thanks for answering. :)

Could you flesh it out a bit?

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

CttE and TYA in stereo are the best I've ever heard these albums in digital. If you are familiar with the vinyl, you know Squire's Rickenbacker has a kick-ass presence that hasn't been duplicated in digital- until now. It's back, baby! Relayer isn't out yet so I can't comment. All the extra stereo related content is just icing on the cake and makes them all of them a must buy IMO. You won't be sorry if you buy them.

6. Capt Fongsby

Thanks, and that sounds very promising, indeed.

Just to be absolutely clear about this; when you say
    you are referring to the flat transfers?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Yes

8. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

I can't recomment these releases highly enough and I've only got a stereo set-up.

The remixes are more dependant on people's tastes. I like the new mix of CTTE because I always thought the original mix a bit messy. I didn't feel TYA really needed a remix.

However, it doesn't matter because you get both versions anyway! Buy them because they're the best sound available for these classic albums.

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I like the flat transfers on the Blu-rays better than the old Atlantic CDs for the Yes Album and Relayer. The Yes Album sounds like a better source was used and Relayer sounds more dynamic to me. Close to the Edge original mix sounds the best on the Audio Fidelity SACD IMO.

Plan9 and ti-triodes like this.
  10. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

+1

Not only do you get a flat transfer, you get a 2014 mix, a needle drop, an alternate album, single versions and a bunch more extras for a reasonable price.

Oh yeah, a CD copy too!

It's a no brainer. :agree:

Dennis Metz and adriatikfan like this.
  11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Agreed about CttE. IMO, it's not as good as TYA, which is jaw dropping good. The AF is better. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for Relayer.

12. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

^^^
    Agreed. I love the new TYA mix, but I prefer the AF CTTE to the Wilson (but it's great to have both).

13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I never understood how CTTE got re-licensed and issued so quickly after the AF version came out. I'm not a big re-purchaser of the same titles, and am more than happy with the AF version, so didn't bother with the Wilson version though I'm sure it's great.

14. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Not to confuse things, but is the HDTracks Close to the Edge and The Yes Album flat transfers the same as the flat transfer original mixes on the Blu-Ray?

15. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Close to the Edge is the only Yes album that I own multiple recent versions of with the AF SACD and the Steve Wilson being the two most recent. IMO, the AF SACD smokes the Wilson remix. The Wilson sounds good as you listen and adjust to it, but the SACD is like a totally immersive experience. Mindblowing stuff. the Wilson, while sounding ok, comes across as just another CD.

I am definitely curious about this bad boy, though: http://www.hdtracks.com/close-to-the-edge-152082

Does anybody know the lineage of it?

ti-triodes likes this.
  16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The HD Tracks download should be the same flat transfer original mix mastering as the Blu-ray.

Plan9 likes this.
  17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

They might be level shifted, but should be the same flat transfer masterings.

18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

ah, so then I guess the AF SACD is still the way to go

19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Unless you want the 5.1 and copious amounts of extras, yes. :)

Dennis Metz likes this.
  20. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I listened to The Yes Album 2014 Remix back to back with the original mix on the Rhino CD version and I thought that the differences were very subtle and sometimes barely discernible, so I agree with AdrianSoundchaser that a remix of this album probably was probably unnecessary. However, I did think that the mastering of the 2014 remix sounded much warmer and more natural than the Rhino.

AdrianSoundchaser likes this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Just bought TYA Blu-ray, but can't really say I'm completely convinced. The opening to YIND is somewhat too flat for my liking. We'll see, but the original Atlantic CD is my favourite version of this album and has never been less than stunning to my ears. Better than the MOFI (too bassy) and well ahead of the vinyl (just sounds cluttered by comparison). The opening bars of YIND on the CD seem a tad flat. The needledrop of TYA I haven't heard yet, but well looking forward to that one!

ti-triodes likes this.
  22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd suggest seeking out the original Atlantic too. At £3 (so I guess less than $5 across the Pond) it has to be a killer bargain. It's one of my demo test discs and has been for years. Whoever mastered that (Diament?) nailed that album.

23. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

bought the blu-ray of relayer, because i wanted the flat master in 192khz too ... and honestly it's just a little bit better than the first CD relayer of atlantic (which proves that zal schreiber did a good job in the 80's ). not worth the money if you are searching only for the flat transfer; valuable if you don't have the first cd of atlantic and want a good sound and extras and 5.1 (which i don't personnaly care ).

24. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

Well, thanks...tell that to my boss. Besides Ball by Iron Butterfly, that is the only CD I mastered that I was questioned about why it sounded so...um...poor.

Jack_Straw likes this.
  25. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

I like your IB Ball btw..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.