Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're currently at (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

Funny how the 'You Ain't Going Nowhere' drawing (the last one) has a cat in it - I don't think the 'feed the cat' version had leaked at the time of the drawing, had it?.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  2. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

The cat needs spotted and you're the one to do it.

zobalob, majorlance and asdf35 like this.
  3. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Here's an article with photos and "fun-facts" about the 2 CD set: http://www.examiner.com/article/bob...sement-tapes-raw-preview-fun-facts-and-photos
    Also in the article is this: "Haust ends his essay with a story about Dylan calling Garth Hudson at the end of the 1960s, looking for a recording of a “Basement Tapes” song titled “Can I Get a Race Horse?” which apparently had been erased to make room for other recordings, now lost forever." I'm sorry for your loss, DeeThomaz.

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

But nice to get closure....

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

But how (and why) was it registered for copyright in '88 with no recording? They had sheet music for it?

zobalob and Thelonious_Cube like this.
  7. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Maybe Garth could still hum a few bars of it for you?

fallbreaks likes this.
  8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Can you arrange that?

fallbreaks likes this.
  10. voles

voles Forum Lurker

The new mastering sounds a lot cleaner to me...

11. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

And I just dug out the one from BD.com and at least on the version I have the stereo sounds closer to the bootlegs rather than the new box...

12. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

13. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Yes, I made many reel to reel tapes in the 70's, and did this all the time. Sure many of you did the same thing with VHS tapes. Often you would record over a bit of something you didn't want to. Of course my old band is not Bob's, and not being studied for release.

14. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

zobalob and DeeThomaz like this.
  15. slane

slane Forum Resident

Has anyone mentioned yet the similarity between this song and 'St Augustine'? I thought 'King Of France' was similar in meter and cadence, but EOTO is just as similar. Seems like variations on this tune were stuck in Dylan's head around this time.

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  16. Swampy

Swampy Member

Keep hope alive. My George Harrison Apple Years sent by ImportCDs on a Monday received that Thursday.

17. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Every time I sign on to this thread it's grown four of five pages. I noticed while watching the unboxing video that the price at Amazon USA is down to $119.88 (for those ordering there).

I hope I can get this by Christmas. I love Dylan, but can only afford so much. I've got $250 in pre-orders shipping in November. Anyway, it's nice to read and check the links you all have been posting. Very exciting to follow. And have learned some things I didn't know.

Does everyone have their pumpkins carved? That's what I've been doing between checking the new posts.

Happy Halloween everybody!

18. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Huh. Not mine. The .com I have is definitely very narrowed and the TWR is like 2 track. I agree that the box one sounds "cleaner." What the hell I like 'em all, truth be told ( all the versions of Teenage Prayer). None of them sounds compromised like the '75 stuff.

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I've just brought the 2-CD version home from the local store (couldn't afford the full thing), who've been putting things out earlier than ever (likely as a ways of fighting back against online stores).
    Excepting cover versions, my only previous knowledge of this work came from the 1975 album (no bootlegs). Sound quality varies, but this is much better ! Digging it, as bewildering as it gets.

20. Gordon Thomas

Gordon Thomas New Member

Old business, perhaps, but I enjoyed Sasha Frere-Jones’ New Yorker piece on the complete set (http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/fall-4; already noted in this thread).
    Here’s a thoughtful writer who likes Dylan just fine, but who hasn’t internalized Bob’s entire body of work, like maybe some of us? At first I grew impatient with the detailed account of his adolescent disdain but then gradual appreciation of Dylan, yet that’s important for clarifying his point of view. He came of age during Bob’s born again period, admittedly a tough sell for a Brooklyn teenager in 1979, whereas, at that age, I got on the bus at Blonde on Blonde and never got off. It’s telling that Frere-Jones likes the Heptones’ cover of I Shall Be Released better than Bob’s BT original. I’ve heard the Heptones’ cover—it’s nice—but preferring a cover of a Bob Dylan song (as opposed to merely enjoying it) is out of the question for me. Dylan’s vocal—his phrasing and rhythmic response to the words—completes the song and renders it dependent on Bob’s performance. As much as the core group of BT originals went out on an acetate courting Peter, Paul and Mary or Manfred Mann, these songs are now canonical, part of my brain matter, and, in terms of their ultimate expression, inviolable to other interpretation. It was revelatory to read Frere-Jones viewing I Shall Be Released as an isolated pop entity, judged as in better hands when recorded by the Heptones in a “springy” version. First I thought, really? Then, okay, why not?

HominyRhodes likes this.
  21. HominyRhodes

Give us a full review -- I think you'll like it. ;)

22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

23. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

[moment of silence for the racehorse]

24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

It would be great if they would just say 'we don't feel that this material is of merchantable quality but we understand that some people feel the need to hear it ... so, here, have it free on streaming'. Problem is, half the industry will collapse if that sort of thinking takes hold ...

25. HominyRhodes

Yes, you have to throw the minstrel boy a coin.

DeeThomaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.