Captain Beefheart Box Set Sun Zoom Spark: 1970 to 1972 (out 11/11/14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikek82, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Mr. H likes this.
  3. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The Amazon UK picture of the vinyl has Clear Spot in a clear PVC sleeve, but the other three aren't.

Can we expect all four to be in PVC sleeves? Anybody know? (Or care?!!!)

4. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

The original pressing of Clear Spot was packaged that way; a clear PVC sleeve held the record and a single sheet cardboard "cover." The reissue appears to duplicate this. The record did not slip inside the cardboard cover; it was loose between the cover and the clear plastic sleeve. Later pressings were a standard sleeve with the same artwork. All of the other albums had traditional sleeves.

5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Thanks. I did wonder if it was something like that. Sounds like these are being done right. Got my preorder in.

6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, that annoyed me too. :(

8. RStein

RStein Well-Known Member

I've only heard his stuff with Zappa, but I'm pretty sure this box set is required listening so I'm in.

9. If you liked what they did on "Bongo Fury", or perhaps Beefheart's special contributions to the album, be prepared to be knocked out of your socks with "Clear Spot"!

RStein likes this.
  10. danner

danner Forum Resident

I wonder if the decision had anything to do with the old legal junk between FZ and Herb Cohen. I know the Scorpio reissue has a reproduction of the Straight label.

11. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Can we expect to see these sold separately ?

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Why not pick up the mono Safe As Milk (with Ry Cooder)? Cheap and readily available.

quicksrt likes this.
  13. RStein

RStein Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a listenn

Mr. H likes this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Or the stereo Safe As Milk (hey, calm down stop throwing things at me! :hide: ) with bonus tracks from the sessions of the aborted second album for Buddah Records.

15. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

It's one of the greatest albums ever made, you won't be disappointed. It will also help you get into Beefheart's later material.

16. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

Based on the picture posted on Amazon, it looks like the CD in this set will also duplicate the original "Clear Spot" packaging.

noyoucmon likes this.
  17. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

I hope you all had your pre-orders in: Amazon UK just hiked their prices from £22 to£32 for the cd set and from £44 to £76 for the vinyl.

18. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Gadzooks! I got mine in. Fast and bulbous.

pscreed, Mr. H and Dave Simms like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Any comments about the sound quality of this remasters for the unlucky bastards that don't have it yet? (First I should order it if I want the box to arrive, shouldn't it?).

20. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

I should clarify - I got my pre-order in before the price hike. I don't have the box yet.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

You shouldn't clarify anything, I should read more closely before replying.

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

For those getting this set in the next couple weeks, please compare the sound on Spotlight/Clear Spot to the original US issued CD. If they (?) go back to the analog tapes and don't screw up the transfer, then there should be a decent improvement.

23. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

I have the original PVC covered version of this...somewhere in my house. The flap on the sleeve was becoming detached so I put the album inside another one someplace safe to protect it, only I cannot remember where!!

24. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

I'm glad I ordered it before the prices hiked. :) Reeeeeally looking forward to this. But it's almost a month left.

25. danner

danner Forum Resident

Overfloater8 and RocketUSA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.