Volume Difference Vinyl vs. CD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wareagle69, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Need some suggestions on why this is happening:

Today when playing a record it seemed that the volume was lower than previously with the volume knob on the preamp in the same 11 o’clock position I always use.

Without moving the volume knob, I played a CD of the same album (Gord’s Gold – Gordon Lightfoot) and the volume was appreciably louder. Using my SPL meter, I compared the two and found a difference of 4db - 12db between the CD and the vinyl .

Before today, the volume has always been essentially equal at the 11 o’clock setting whether playing vinyl or CD.

Any ideas on what might be causing this would be most welcomed.

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Obvious stuff, like check that the stylus is secure on the cart and check the cart lead connections and the RCAs going in. Often a CD source is naturally louder than a turntable, and if you are using a built-in phono section, it most likely has a fixed gain that will produce a different volume based on your cartridge output. I notice you have two carts, and I believe the Ortofon puts out a stronger signal.

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I would try another album to verify if it is a hardware or software issue!

4. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you both for the responses. I should have put in my first post that I checked all the connections to the cartridge and the RCAs to the preamp. I did not look at the stylus, so that is something I will do now. The Ortofon Bronze is the cartridge in use. After my initial post, I tried some other albums and CDs. Same results, CDs were noticeably louder at the same volume setting.

Thanks again for the responses.

5. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Anytime I've ever compared an LP and CD of the same title on my stereo, the cd is usually(but not always) louder than the lp. Not by much though, and that doesn't necessarily make it better in terms of SQ of course. Maybe it is the cart. or preamp being used as mentioned? I always thought CD's were usually louder anyway.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

There is nothing to worry about.
    Cd player output is usually higher than the phono, although it can also sometimes depend on the phono stage.
    That is the reason why some amps, like the McIntosh MA6600 for instance, have trim adjustments to compensate for the difference in output levels.

Grant and SBurke like this.
  7. pearle

pearle Forum Resident

I typically have to adjust the vol knob +15 to +20 db when switching to my turntable from my digital sources. I use a low output MC cart.

I just thought this was normal.

8. contium

contium Forum Resident

No idea why it would suddenly be quieter but you can't compare with a CD. The volume of a turntable varies with the output of the cartridge and the gain of the phono section.

Grant likes this.
  9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Common observation for lots of folks - same in my rig, too.

As long as you can get to the volume you want in your listening spot - it shouldn't matter.

More important things to obsess about :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.