A Definitive Baroque Rock Record List?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psych Master, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

It ended here:

[​IMG]

2. shoestring

shoestring Well-Known Member

That happens when Elektra gets involved in exploito records - you get stuff like that :)

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

One of my favorites from this era, the Open Window. Here is the second to last song from their album with a bit of "Day In The Life" influence.

Cassiel likes this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Isn't the term Baroque 'n' Roll?

The definitive pop/baroque musical mash-up has to be Paul Simon's "American Tune" which is to laugh as it's about as German Lutheran as it gets, the musical source is a famous tune from Bach's St. Matthew Passion.

I Guess the most Rock 'n' Roll Baroque band has to be Musica Antiqua Koln, or as one wag called it, speedmetal baroque:

MIA: Linda Ronstadt, Stone Poneys—Different Drum, love the bass-line, it's sooooo Baroque:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Nq48sHF8M

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  5. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Here is another song to the same melody.

Robin L likes this.
  7. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Cool song, had never heard that one before.

PS: Holy crap, when I looked around a bit on the internet for more info on this one, it turns out that the guy who wrote it is Peter Schickele, who's better know for his musical comedy work as PDQ Bach.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It took off from there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Really! And I think the link more or less backs up my basic definition. Like, I don't see what links the cited works by the Who, Os Mutantes, The United States of America, The Doors, Simon and Garfulkel, and the Left Banke other than they were all around at the same time and were moving pop music beyond the more simple forms of the '50s and early '60s. The range of acts is certainly way too broad to be reduced to a category like "baroque rock".

Mr Bass likes this.
  10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Oops, . . . here's the ultimate:

"Even Cathy Berberian know there's one roulade you can't sing."

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd say a lot more than a few Mamas and Papa tunes qualify on account of the beautiul and frequently polyphonic part writing for voice on display in most of their songs. 12:30 comes to mind:

12. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think you are quite right. The OP has many examples that fit his psychedelic list better or some other category. For me I would say something like the first Pearls Before Swine LP or the Left Banke are sort of in the center of the category. Penny Lane would be an example but Strawberry Fields would not. Unfortunately the OP is not likely to issue a more coherent list so I think this thread is going off into outer space. (which has its own genre of rock/pop :)).

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Schickele did a few other semi "baroque rock" projects with Buffy St. Marie and Joan Baez around this time.

Another member of the Open Window was Robert Dennis who did an arrangement for Judy Collins Wildflowers, and later did this piece for Sesame Street.

14. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

The Collectors-Lydia Purple

15. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

That's true; I also turned up in my searching that he did some arrangements on Buffy St. Marie's marvelous Illuminations album, which I also never knew before since my copy has no personnel credits listed. That's a beautiful and totally wigged-out record.

16. The Deacon

The Deacon Well-Known Member

I would not call the Hungarian band, Illes baroque-pop.

The Association
    The Free Design
    Sunshine Company
    David Axelrod
    Sagittarius
    The Collage
    LEE Hazelwood
    Harpers Bizarre
    The Arbors
    The Cyrkle
    Pete Dello
    The Shins
    Thorinshield
    Richard Harris/Jimmy Webb
    Appaloosa
    Emitt Rhodes
    New York Rock & Roll Ensemble
    Sopwith Camel
    Van Dyke Parks
    Jardin
    Now People
    Summerhill
    honeybus
    Peanut Butter Conspiracy
    Crazy Elephant
    1910 Fruitgum Company
    The Baroques!
    18th Century Concepts "In The 20th Century Bag"

Who The Man?
    THE DEACON be The Man!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. The Deacon

The Deacon Well-Known Member

Wot does baroque rock have in common with pretty well EVERY early 70s Italian hipster/spy/action-Jackson soundtrack?

Harpsichord is wot.

18. Psych Master

Psych Master Active Member Thread Starter

I wish I could change my user name, actually, because I came to the conclusion recently that "psychedelic" is a term devoid of musical meaning. Also, I think applying the term to music tends to divert listeners away from the actual musical content (classical, jazz, rock, pop, etc.).
    As for the list's coherence, all of the music included here (except for "Yesterday," much on Rubber Soul, and a few other album tracks) is rock fused with classical music in verse-chorus form. I do agree the definition is broad, but still, only a small minority of music recorded in the 60's (and much less in later decades) fits this definition.

19. Psych Master

I thought maybe I could just move on to assembling a part 2, "Post-1969" list, but The Deacon made it clear that I have more listening to do before part 1 is reasonably definitive. Thanks for the suggestions!

20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Thanks for your reply. You can change your username by requesting it from the Gorts. I think what happens is they add "formerly known as "" for a few months just to let people know there was a change.

As for your list, it is always better to start out with a smaller list where almost everyone agrees on the exemplars than an overly broad one where people are arguing about the list while adding others. In addition an overly broad list invites even more far fetched examples to be advanced. Just my thoughts. It could be an interesting thread if focused more.

PS Just saying "orchestral arrangements" is too broad IMO. A Day in the Life" has orchestral arrangements that are closer to Stockhausen than Baroque music. The Moody Blues use orchestras more in the Romantic era style. I think it has to be lighter and have simpler melodies characteristic of the Baroque to apply.

21. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I think what he’s going for is not just orchestral accompaniment, but rather the usage of classical overtones, and the complete absence of blues-based structure.

Which reminds me --

For Your Love - The Yardbirds (the use of harpsichord, and no blues - which drove Clapton from the band)
    Burning of the Midnight Lamp - Jimi Hendrix - Harpsichord again, and an Elizabethan feel to the verses.

Mr Bass likes this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There are some classical touches including harpsichord on James Taylor's album for Apple.

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Howabout some baroque folk rock with Pentangle and Nick Drake?

24. Psych Master

By the way, it's nice to just meditate on a list of "rock music fused with classical music in verse-chorus form," but the best thing to do with it is present the selections in a way that gets more people (particularly adolescents) interested in classical music. Any thoughts on that?

25. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

It's more like Baroque Soul but I really love it.[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.