You're a musician - what are you working on now ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mychkine, Nov 21, 2013.

1. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Hmmm, well I play in a few projects.

I play guitar (and some bass) in a noise-pop/shoegazey band called Awkward Bodies. We just put out an album called Get Left in April. You can check it out here http://awkwardbodies.bandcamp.com

I also play guitar/sing/write for a psyche-pop band called The Curiously Strong Peppermints. Our last album came out a few years ago but you can hear it here http://cspm.bandcamp.com

I also play bass in a band called Mine. We just formed a month ago, no real recordings yet. Not even sure what we sound like yet...

MoonPool likes this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

ledsox, MoonPool and Mike Visco like this.
  3. lowellmorris

lowellmorris Forum Resident

Working on an EP of some original psychedelic country ballads, playing pedal steel, electric & acoustic 6 string, electric 12 string, bass, and light percussion all myself. Will be recording to a Tascam 4-track cassette recorder.

notesofachord likes this.
  4. captone

captone Forum Resident

A band I have been working with (production/recording/mixing) just made a video for one of their songs

Mike Visco likes this.
  5. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Not my own song, but a group original.

aussievinyl and captone like this.
  6. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

My band, Soft Speaker, just released a new album today. Psych-rock is probably the best way to describe it, although that term doesn't really apply to all of our material. It was engineered and mixed by Cooper Crain (CAVE / Bitchin' Bajas). You can download it for FREE using the link below. Hope some of you dig it.

https://softspeaker.bandcamp.com/album/vrevoll-racecourse

7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Here's my latest.. I can't decide if I wanna be in a rock band or conduct an orchestra so this one has a bit of both.

8. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I hung up my bass guitar years ago. Nowadays I concentrate on securing my position in the 'Where are they now?' file.

9. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Has anyone submitted an album for review on Pitchfork? If so, please PM me. I'd like to do this and get some kind of insider's scoop. The FAQ page is pretty general. Thanks!

10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I'm a semi-pro bassist/guitarist/vocalist. I'm currently working in a trio (keys/bass/drums) playing '60s R&B... Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Stax, Motown, et al. So far, it's the best working relationship I've enjoyed in many years. Good musicians, even better people. Very supportive. Everybody hears and cares about small things. That's a very cool dynamic. Everybody is open to what someone else might say about their playing and singing, and is willing to explore changing things to make the whole sound better. It's really helping us take this to a whole other level. Knock on wood, I hope we can keep this together for a good long time.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  11. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I went to High School with Dave Crigger. He was a monster player in his teens. Rusty Anderson, who now plays in Maca's band, went to another local HS. Who knew East Whittier/La Habra CA was such a hotbed of talent.

12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

a brass arrangement for someone

13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I'm pretty sure that Dave posts at drumforum.org. Seems pretty approachable.

Dan

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

My last musical efforts were recorded on my iPod using the Garage Band app. Except for one of them that was rehearsed beforehand, the rest were improvisations with electric guitar and bass plugged into the device through iRig. The rest of the instruments (drums and keyboards) were played manually on the bleeding tiny screen, except for some programmed drum track.
    It's been really long since the last time I turned my portastudio on and recorded something with real drums, real amplifiers, and real microphones :(

15. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

This & that. I'm currently somewhat addicted to several music apps I have on my iPad 3 including Garageband, Fiddlewax Pro, Propeller Head's Take Creative Vocal App (and their Figure app is very fun as well). The Take app gets you pretty good sound quality from your iDevice's built-in mic - it's really surprising how good it sounds. I just sit down in front of my iPad with my acoustic guitar and improvise songs on the spot while the app is recording and then can layer 2 more tracks on top. Great for on-the-spot creativity and as simple as it gets.

16. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

I'm not a musician, but if I was I'd be working on how to make some sort of financial return on my hard labour, without charging £80 for a concert ticket.

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Some videos of my band The Beagles playing my original music this past Thursday evening. We are normally a 6 piece electric group, but here we are a 4 piece acoustic group for a smaller lower volume space.

"Look Around"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5QgHoJUOw4
    That's my catchiest one and it lets me play some lead guitar. Sorry about the "camera man" not knowing which way was up.

"Produce Music"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njx3hFlrOH0
    The most recent arrangement we worked up.

"Body Parts"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g29R_738fqY
    Your basic socially conscious country tune. I'm guessing our "camera man" had consumed a couple more drinks by this point in the evening, so bear with the unsteadiness particularly for the first 20 seconds.

"Walk On Down"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj8PTNwgwGM
    Simple as that last one is, I'm particularly proud of it as it sounds like something that has been around forever.

If you dig them, please like/follow us at https://www.facebook.com/RobFreemanTheBeagles

entropyfan likes this.
  18. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Learning some covers for a new band project and working on some original bits and bobs with a friend.

19. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  20. moosebass

moosebass Forum reader and 'like'er.

Hey, very late to the game here.
    I really enjoy every ones work, quite eclectic.

I'm a bass player who dabbles with acoustic guitar, mandolin, and banjo. :)
    My recording heyday was in the late 80's through 99, however I finished two projects this year, one Christmas album with my wife, which is in post-production (one more mix to go!) and an album by a gal named Emily Elizabeth.
    I'm really excited to hear the Emily Elizabeth sessions because I finally recorded with a Kala Uke Bass, which sounded sweet in the studio.

Ha, neither of them have anything up on youtube... I'll post links as they become available.

21. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

Hypothetically, some midi, sampling/droning with an artificial drum machine and a live horn section.

Just an ideal...

22. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I would love to get another experimental band together and do some studio recording since it has been twelve years since I have recorded anything.

I'm still hoping to release my band El Ron Hitler's album Eye: Being The Rebel in the near future. The Church of Scientology came after me after they thought my band was named L. Ron Hitler.
    Around the end of the year 2000, I received threatening phone calls from a detective who worked for the COS and turned out to be a wanted felon in both Florida and Oklahoma ( for impersonating a police officer and for carrying a concealed weapon) and also received letters from the Church of Scientology's own "lawyers." I kept all of the threatening phone messages left on my old answering machine and had them digitized and also kept all of the letters that they had sent me. Pretty crazy, huh? This very cool ex-ACLU lawyer named Carol Sobel came to my rescue and warded the COS off my back. I, then changed the name of the band to Nostradumass and it has stayed that way ever since. However, the record WAS recorded under the original name of El Ron Hitler so I still intend to release under that name.. It's a pretty cool and messed up record.

My friends in the punk rock scene like Keith Morris and Stew from The Negro Problem thought it was great that I came up with such a controversial band named and ended up pissing off a fake sci-fi religion. They messed with the wrong guy.

entropyfan likes this.
  23. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

IronWaffle likes this.
  24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

My 'latest' project ended up being over before I could even start working on it: my intention was to take a bunch of old tracks I'd never put on an album to this point as well as some old demos (which I reckon were ultimately the definitive versions of the songs), clean up the sound and put them out as a kind of 'archival' collection. I had all these old CDRs and tapes in a box...a box which must have been lost in transit when we moved last fall. Searched all over the house for it, no luck...boy was I p-ssed!

25. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I'm currently looking for a male singer to sing a bunch of my songs in a 70's singer-songwriter/Indie sort of genre. If anyone with a passionate old style rock voice would like to help me out please contact me by IM.
    Some of my songs can be heard here: http://www.reverbnation.com/nichollsllewellynmaccarthy/songs