What if the Traveling Wilburys carried on after 1990?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

What if after Roy Orbison died in 1988, the Traveling Wilburys stayed on for more then just one album?

To me, the concept of the Traveling Wilburys made it relatively easy to swap out existing members for other similar musicians, such as Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, etc. What if they did that? Would it work?

You could even have had guest musicians like Carl Perkins or Dave Edmunds, or maybe if one of the members decided not to be in an album like Bob Dylan, just replace him with someone else but still cycle them in later whenever they wanted to.

As long as all the members got along and kept the same sound, I think the Traveling Wilburys could have lasted for a long time.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It would've lost it's mystique. Things happen for a reason.

3. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

As long as there are ugly musicians in the world I don't see why not.

Fullbug and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  4. Haristar

:shake:

Dyland and keyXVII like this.
  5. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

I always thought that Mark Knopfler would have fitted in well with the Wilburys.

keyXVII and Skywheel like this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It was fun and novel the first time. It was OK but not great the second time. I wasn't waiting for a third time.

zebop, driverdrummer, Mickey2 and 6 others like this.
  7. Haristar

The one thing I prefer about the second album is there are a lot more songs where each member sings a verse each, or it's roughly 50% between two members.

8. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Welcome to my ignore list.

keyXVII, zebop, WolfSpear and 8 others like this.
  9. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

10. As I've said in the past, any new Wilbury would have to be someone with strong prior connections to the other members, so Mark Knopfler might seem an interesting potential candidate musically, but he didn't really fit. Someone like Dave Edmunds or Del Shannon, on the other hand...

Naughty Chord likes this.
  11. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

I guess it would have become stale and tacky real quick. I'm actually glad they bowed out just before the whole unplugged, britpop and 60'es nostalgia boom.

12. Haristar

There would have been an inevitable George Harrison/Spice Girls collaboration album.

starduster and theMess like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they would be vocally lacking...

starduster likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

add a little Paulie & Kenya!

Haristar likes this.
  15. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Didn't knopfler work on 1-2 of Dylan's 80s albums like knocked out loaded and/or down in the groove...I'm sure we want to forget those...

16. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I remember Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne mentioning after Harrison's death that they had always planned on doing more. But it just never happened.

Personally, considering how much I love BOTH albums, I think it would have been feasible, productive and rewarding, at least for the fans had more than the 2 albums been made. I think it would have to be the same 4 guys though.

I also don't think any of the material the guys made on their own can give any indication of what could have been either. It was definitely a collaborative process with the songwriting and that's something that makes it so special.

No Bull, theMess, Carserguev and 2 others like this.
  17. Haristar

I guess the main appeal was the novelty that they were basically parodying themselves in that group. I don't think any of the members took it that seriously.

No Bull and kwadguy like this.
  18. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Well yes! That is a great part of it. I think all musicians should loosen up (well those who HAVE a loose side) every once in a while and share it. :)

19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

My regret is that they never toured. It would have been amazing... they could have done their group songs and some solo. It would have been a chance to see George 'live'.

20. Haristar

I think only two Wilburys songs have ever been performed live - Handle with Care (Tom & Jeff and later Jeff on his own) and If You Belonged to Me (George). Bit of a shame.

21. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

Petty has been playing Tweeter and the Monkey Man just recently

i believe the Knopfler eighties contribution attempted to be referred to in this thread is Infidels, which he produced

EasterEverywhere and Haristar like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What if "?
    They'd have released a album called Flaming Pie. :)

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  23. darling

darling Senior Member

Dylan played Congratulations live a couple of times in 89/90.

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Or if they'd played that rare song by Dylan, Lennon, McCartney and Mick Jagger: Cow Pie. That's a tune just ripe for reinvention.

25. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, Knopfler had a hand in producing Blind Willie McTell, Foot Of Pride, Jokerman and others.

And he played on Gotta Serve Somebody (and all of that album).

So you're welcome to forget those tracks if you like, but...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.