Jimi: All Is By My Side biopic

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rupe33, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

This Is Spinal Tap.

Because no-one wants to admit it's about them. :)

2. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

My mixup.

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

UK Blu-ray January 26th 2015.

Theatrical release in the UK was 6 weeks earlier than US.

No word on bonus features yet.

4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

What did people say? "Thanks"?

5. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Yes, 'Thanks' or often 'Ta'. Until quite recently, which means a couple of decades to one of my age, 'cheers' was what you said when you were raising a glass.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's not about Dylan at all. He appears in a quick "cameo" but the story doesn't tell his tale in the least...

deadcoldfish and mikeyt like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Wow, that's a dead-on review. I thought Etchingham would just provide a bitter screed, but she's surprisingly objective - and a very good movie critic. She seems able to ignore all the factual flaws and get to the heart of the movie's many, many problems.

I agree with everything she says. Even if we ignore the factual liberties, "Side" is a mess of a movie. It's disjointed, pointless and tries to hard to be "clever".

I wasn't wild about "Get On Up", but it's a classic compared to this stinker...

SG47 and Rooster_Ties like this.
  8. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

its a make believe story of dylan.... sort of like fargo was a true story but not really.

9. Oatsdad

No, it's not. It's a fictionalized take on Dave Von Ronk's story, not Dylan's. "Dylan" appears in the background at the end as a signifier of where folk music will go.

The story isn't about Dylan in any way...

PBo likes this.
  10. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

not in any way eh? lol

but cool to know it might not be dylan and this guy dave or whatever his name is.

11. Oatsdad

I'm always reluctant to be definitive with statements like "not in any way" - but I'm gonna be definitive here! :)

Like I mentioned, we actually see Dylan represented as a different character at the very end of the movie, so there's just no way the Davis character is supposed to resemble Dylan.

Not in any way! :D

12. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Also, in other biopics or documentaries I've seen Clapton didn't leave the stage when Jimi started playing. Here he does and won't play with him. Which is the truth?

Kathy:
    "Unfortunately, once the music started, my heart sank. What a disappointment. Not only was it insulting to Jimi’s legacy, but I would say it was fairly insulting to Eric Clapton as well because the real Eric Clapton would never have been in awe of the unremarkable performance presented to viewers in this film."

13. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

The bits where he is on stage are emberrasing

14. Funny. Didn't Noel Redding blast Hendrix for just this on VH-1 a while back?

Larry Mc likes this.
  15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Did anyone notice that there's not a single note of Jimi Hendrix music in the entire film? :sigh:

16. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Experience Hendrix did not authorise use of any, which might have been a good move considering how this has turned out.

17. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Can you please elaborate?

18. Ah heck. I don't wanna search youtube for this. I can't be the only one who saw Noel on Vh-1 back in the 90s when he described Hendrix using a phone to, in his words "batta-batta-batta" some gal. At the time Noel was giving anecdotes and seemed, not mean spirited, but in an "illusion breaking" mood. I'll search around.

Electric likes this.
  19. Coming up empty on the vid search, but I'm sure others here saw it. It sounds like the kind of anecdote he'd tell regularly so it may be elsewhere. But it didn't sound too serious. Like he lost his cool for a bit. I wasn't there so I don't really know.

20. Oatsdad

After I read Kathy Etchingham's review I sent her a little note and was pleased to get a nice e-mail back from her. She even read my review - and noticed a goof I'd made! :D

21. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

This is on Netflix now. I am so glad I did not spend a specific dime on this. What a difficult watch.

Moonbeam Skies and Rooster_Ties like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  23. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I enjoyed it. Yes, its not brilliant, but it captured the spirit of the times and Andre did a good job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.