Neil Young readies Pono music service for expansion Part 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoptic, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm ready.

Grant likes this.
  3. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

"Well - Metallica controls ALL of their masters now so they get to decide who when or what. Knowing Lars - he will give us what he wants and we will have to like it :) It's a well known fact that he could care less about quality when bombast will suffice just fine."

I have an idea, an artist doesn't want to give their customers what they want. Give them what they deserve, it's called the bird. And it's the word. :-plnktn-:

mattanderson and Master_It_Right like this.
  4. My guess is that the RHCP and Metallica albums were chosen precisely because their original masterings were so atrocious--a new, better sounding mastering debuting on Pono would probably garner rave reviews.

Master_It_Right and oneway23 like this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The artists for the limited edition players were more likely chosen because the artist wanted to participate rather than because the recordings they would select would be Pono audiophile quality. I wouldn't get your hopes up that the Metallica or RHCP masterings on the limited edition players will be spectacular and representative of what Neil and Pono ultimately want. The albums, and by extension the recording quality and mastering quality, on the limited edition players were chosen by the artists. Not by Pono. Not by Neil. If, as I suspect, the mastering quality of the Metallica and RHCP recordings included on the limited edition players does suck don't blame Pono. Blame the artists for being clueless about what they were committing to.

6. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

7. The music samples will now play on my ancient first-gen iPad. (A week or so ago they couldn't.)

JeffMo likes this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yes, that is what I have too. I will give a try this evening.

9. I think you have to give Pono, the artists, and the record label a little more credit. They are not stupid, and are savvy business people. The label and the artists know that Californication and Death Magnetic were widely lambasted as sounding like dog poop. They also know that the promise of Pono is to deliver better, hi-res sound to the public. If the opening salvo from Pono also sounds like dog poop, the bad reviews will hurt Pono's sales from the outset, and could possibly kill the company. I doubt Pono would willingly shoot itself in the foot and the labels and artists would be knowing accomplices.

I think it makes much more sense that newly-remastered, better sounding hi-res versions of these albums will debut on Pono. In that way, reviewers will be able to exclaim, "finally, you can get good sounding versions of these albums at the Pono a Music Store!" It will be a win-win for Pono, the artists, and the record labels.

Grant and oneway23 like this.
  10. You know outside of places like these forums most people don't think those recordings sound bad. I never considered the Cream records as bad sounding records until I read it here. There is joy in the world for all those albums

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  11. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Latest Pono update just posted,

Dear Pono backers,

Even though this information was previously included in Update 46, we're reposting it as it appears many of you may have missed it.

PonoPlayer Shipments Begin Last Week of October
    We plan to ship the October Kickstarter PonoPlayer rewards beginning the last week of October and we anticipate completing them by mid-November. Each of you will be notified via email when your player is shipped. Generally, the earlier Kickstarter pledges and Signature Series players will get priority for shipment.

When your player is shipped, you will also get access to the Pono music purchases beta program. This means you will get access to the PonoMusic World (desktop app) and be able to purchase and download music. Keep in mind that we will be in beta mode until after all Kickstarter rewards have been shipped. Also, please keep in mind that the store is currently only open in USA meaning that that the billing address for your credit card must be in the USA. We anticipate launching the store in UK and Canada in first quarter of 2015 and then expand internationally.

We have some more good news for those who pledged for PonoPlayers with an expected delivery of December 31. We anticipate shipping all PonoPlayers in time for Christmas!

October PonoPlayer Rewards
    Shipping begins in last week of October and should be completed by mid November. You will receive an email notifying you of your shipment along with a UPS tracking number.

December PonoPlayer Rewards
    Shipping begins last week of November and should be completed in time for Christmas. You will receive an email notifying you of your shipment along with a UPS tracking number.

Challenges with Certain Countries
    Our logistics team informs us that certain countries' laws and regulations (mostly those outside of US, Canada, and EU) may result in delivery challenges. If you happen to be from one of these countries, we will be reaching out to you shortly to work with you to overcome these issues and ship you your reward. Please be on the lookout for messages from our logistics team on Kickstarter .

Thanks for your support,

Mahalo from the PonoMusic team

12. No, most people think Death Magnetic and Californication sound bad. A quick Google search will confirm this for you.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/me...-on-death-magnetic-sound-quality-controversy/

http://forums.redhotchilipeppers.com/index.php?topic=38818.15;wap2

13. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

Anybody get a player yet or notification one has shipped. If you have got one could you post a review?

14. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

While it certainly makes sense - the record companies have never operated in a way that "makes sense". They operate in a way that "makes cents". Lots of them.

The skeptic in me just can't record companies footing the bill for remastering all these things - again - just to make the Pono splash seem special.

Would of course love it if one could actually get a version of Cally that was listenable - but that's just a pipe dream for now.

VP

floweringtoilet likes this.
  15. 00Diablo

00Diablo Senior Member

I haven't followed recent Pono developments at all, but had one quick question after stumbling across their web site today:

Is it possible to create a pono account and purchase and listen to the music on a desktop player or music server without buying the portable device?

I'm not really a portable music listening kind of guy, but like the store design and attention to sound quality as claimed.

... and I don't really trust some of the other hi-res download services out there, nor want to jump through a lot of hoops - so have yet to dip my foot in the high-res pond other than SACD.

16. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Yes, once the Pono store is open to the general public ( scheduled for December 2014).

00Diablo likes this.
  17. hkm3

hkm3 Forum Resident

This is funny. I see the thread index saying that this is going on part 4..think to myself "What? They're still going on about this?" (I haven't been around for a while). So i click on the thread and the second post is about Metallica :D. Sorry for the offtopic, carry on guys.

18. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

No shipping notice yet.
    Still waiting for the Petty model to arrive. I have to start organizing my Flac files....

19. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Uh! The Neil Young section looks impressive with 41 titles. It has been recently updated with the 2009 remasters, Archives Vol.1, singles...

20. I hope you are right, but I just don't see it happening.

21. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

22. Wow, that's not very many dealers. I thought they would be selling it at big box consumer electronics stores.

23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

They can't make them fast enough for that, at least not yet.

24. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I don't think any of those dealers have them for sale yet. The web page says, "To hear the Pono difference, please visit your local retailer and ask for the Pono demo". So maybe you can listen to one, but you can't buy one yet. Does anyone know when Pono claims there will be retail availability?

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Wow - I need to drive to New Jersey to hear one of these????

EVOLVIST likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.