Jazz Beat (Part 32)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Infinite Spirit Music - Live Without Fear

[​IMG]

Recorded May 31, 1979

Bass– Mchaka Uba
    Congas– Ibo
    Congas, Vocals– Kahil El'Zabar
    Percussion– Aye Aton
    Piano– Soji Adebayo
    Saxophone– 'Light' Henry Huff
    Vocals– Ka T' Etta Aton

This is the new Japanese release of this 1979 album, never before on CD I believe. Pretty interesting mix of avant/cosmic/spiritual jazz. Dig it!!! :cool:

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Bill Evans Trio - Live at Shelly's Manne-Hole

[​IMG]

3. CodyW

CodyW Forum Resident

Dexter Gordon: Homecoming

Vinyl

[​IMG]

I love late Dexter Gordon; his sound is more flexible, behind the beat, and really channels his poignant, Lester Young roots.

4. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

That is a great price and I would be tempted but I would sell the U.S. box if I preferred it. I already have a few lps that I have duplicates of but I don't want to start that with box sets too. I don't have that kind of space unless I get divorced.
    :D FWIW I do find the U.S. box a little on the bright side at times but it certainly isn't off putting. I feel lucky just owning any version of that box set. It's one of my favorite if not the number one favorite box set of Miles' output.

NP Charles Brackeen - Rhythm X (Strata East)
    W/Charlie Haden, Ed Blackwell and Don Cherry.

6. jiffypopinski

Shigeharu Mukai - Spacing Out

[​IMG]

Art K likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

[​IMG]

Art K likes this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I didn't know about this though I'm sure I saw the add for the performance when it happened. I've seen a few jazz shows
    At Grace Cathedral, Yusef Latiff, Dewey Redman, Ann Dyer and maybe one more that escapes my retrieval system at the moment. The exceptionally long echo makes for an interesting twist in an artist's usual approach. For those able to slow down and "play" the room as well as their instrument can have some real fun with it. When I saw Dewey he entered the room unexpectedly from the back of the church on the second floor. He just started playing and slowly made his way downstairs and to the stage. It was very moving/cool.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Eric Kloss - Sky Shadows (Prestige) Green label
    W/ Jaki Byard, Pat Martino, Bob Cranshaw and Jack DeJohnette from 1968.

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Jay Hoggard - Riverside Dance (India Navigation) DMM
    One of the few DMM lps I own and this one sounds pretty decent.

macdaddysinfo, fingerpoppin and DrJ like this.
  11. jiffypopinski

Roscoe Mitchell - Nonaah

[​IMG]

12. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

I'm back ;)

Freddie Redd - Redd's Blues (Connoisseur Series)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

David Weiss & Point of Departure – Snuck Out (Sunnyside)
    — With J.D. Allen, Nir Felder, Matt Clohesy, Jamire Williams; tunes by Weiss, Shorter, Tolliver and two by Charles Moore

[​IMG]

Art K and DrJ like this.
  14. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

15. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

I often find that I don't want to listen to both CDs of a two-CD set in the same listening session. A lot of these seem to end up forgotten in a pile on an out-of-the-way shelf and I never get around to the second CD. I've decided to make a concerted effort to pull these out. First up is one of my favorites from back in my vinyl days:

Cecil TaylorNefertitti, the Beautiful One Has Come — Live at the Café Montmartre, Copenhagen, 1962 - CD 2 (Revenant—Arista/Freedom)
    — With Jimmy Lyons, Sunny Murray
    [​IMG]

CD 2 has a twenty minute alternate take of "D Trad, That's What". My LP copy has this cover:

[​IMG]

16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(CD Uptown UPCD27692770) - replaying this excellent reissue which features on CD1 both Frank Wess and Johnny Coles in top form and as additional bonus a superb rhythm section consisting of Kenny Barron+Reggie Johnson+Kenny Washington (recorded in 1983).....hilarious cover picture too....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

[​IMG]

Art K likes this.
  18. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Debut Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-625-2)

19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Long one of my very favorite jazz recordings (the studio side), an absolute gem.

Art K and Soulpope like this.
  20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I'd started needle dropping this set several weeks ago, then my amp went on the blink, and then it got busy...now returning to the task, currently on Side 8 of 12. The consistently high level of the playing across so many tracks recorded over such a relatively short period of time is just staggering - Hodges was in absolute prime form during this era and he surrounded himself with quality players (among them Harry Carney - king of the baritone sax in my opinion). Also interesting (for audiophiles) is to hear the improvements in recording fidelity as the set progresses; not that the early sides don't sound pretty darn good, but it's interesting to trace how the ambiance and "breath of life" ratchet up several levels later in the set, just gorgeous mono sound. That early to mid-1950s period saw a pretty rapid rise in recording quality. Rudy Van Gelder himself did the LP mastering for this set, and he hit a home run.

21. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Extra points for correct pronunciation of the album title.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I wish I had that set on CD. Pity Mosaic was not allowed to release it on CD as well at the time.

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Out of curiosity, was Mosaic issuing cd sets at the time of that Hodges box? Was Mosaic or the label(s) dictating format?

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Sonny Rollins - There Will Never Be Another You (MCA/Impulse) green label.
    I'm not sure I've ever seen this lp before, recorded at the NY MOMA in 1965 and this lp has 1978 printed on the back cover. I have two other performances from the same venue (Milt Jackson and Art Farmer). He's got a solid band.
    Tommy Flanagan
    Bob Cranshaw
    Billy Higgins
    Mickey Roker

Not sure about the two drummers unless one of them left and had a fill in.

Campbell Saddler and TimArruda like this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Mosaic released some of their sets on CD almost right from the beginning, the first one being the second set (Gerry Mulligan with Chet Baker). The licensing labels were dictating the formats.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/outofprint.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.