Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Andrew Hill "Point of Departure" and Sam Rivers "Fuchsia Swing Song" are must have, but you have to stretch a little beyond the mainstream. I would add some Grant Green tiles, like "Idle Moments" or "Talkin' About." Larry Young, "Unity" is way up there too. Any of the Stanley Turrentine titles are great. I really like "Lookout" as well as his work on Kenny Burrell "Freedom"

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Have you ever heard the Classic mono? Just curious if you had thoughts on the mono mix by comparison.

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I haven't.

4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

thanks so far for some input, guys.. you gave me a few ideas....I'm thinking of some of these..

Stanley Turrentine: Jubilee Shout
    Dexter Gordon: Our Man In Paris
    Horace Parlan : Happy Frame of Mind
    Larry Young : Into Somethin
    Grant Green : Solid
    Grant Green: Matador
    Sonny Rollins : Volume I
    Fushcia Swing Song : Sam Rivers
    Song For My Father : Horace Silver

Decisions Decisions LOL!

5. Josquin des Prez

I have all of these. Great selections.

Larry Young "Unity" is a better album than "Into Somethin", IMHO
    FWIW: Unity is a top reviewed album, receiving five star at AllMusic and a Rosetta in the Penguin guide.

Stanley Turrentine's "Look Out" and "Up At Mintons" are both better than "Jubilee Shout", IMHO

I also love the Horace Parlan albums with Stanley and Tommy Turrentine.

6. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I'll throw a vote in for "Our Man in Paris". This is one of my most-played albums over the years, and one of the first MM titles I obtained when I began buying them last year. It sounds terrific! Someday I'd love to hear the other titles you mention, esp. the Grant Green's and Sonny Rollins. I definitely must get "Song for my Father"....

AaronW and mikeyt like this.
  7. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

My vote is for Sam Rivers, though I like the stuff out of left field best. A close second would be Green's "Matador." But you'll be hitting a home run with pretty much any of these, really.

8. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

I thought Search For The New Land was OOP, I would get that while you can.

TimArruda and Questhate like this.
  9. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

Why not go to Youtube and listen to each one and see which you prefer?

abor1g, MikeJedi and David Ellis like this.
  10. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Leaning towards Our Man in Paris and Unity... I love Dex and i listened to Unity on youtube.. it sounds awesome musically!!

Jerry James and Josquin des Prez like this.
  11. Josquin des Prez

Can't go wrong there!

12. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Random -- Just doing some sleuthing around, per the "Blue Note Label" discography compiled by Michael Cuscuna and Michel Ruppli. We were speaking of Herbie Hancock's "Maiden Voyage" album.

Trivia: Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard, George Coleman and Ron Carter recorded the majority of that album, cuts 1, 3 and 5, originally on Thursday, March 11, 1965 with a drummer named Stu Martin. The studio went dark, dormant, vacated for almost a full week, until Herbie and company went back to the Englewood Cliffs studio the following Wednesday, March 17, 1965, and cut the album again to include all five tunes with Anthony Williams on drums.

Drummer Stu Martin is not mentioned before or after this event in Blue Note's historical discography -- and it's totally complete, over 900 pages in full. As a drummer myself, I found that interesting.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  13. Josquin des Prez

I've wanted to get the Naim Label 3 LP set of Charlie Haden's "Private Collection" and Elusive Disc had it, so I also ordered the MM 45 RPM of Lee Morgan "Volume 3." The MMs are still on sale at 15% off.

Looking forward to Lee Morgan, but looking forward even more to the Charlie Haden.

14. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Ordered Dex "Our Man In Paris" and Larry Young "Unity"... looking forward to these.. something a bit different.. they sound like fun albums... will add to my MM 45 Collection...... now I will have 24 total MM 45's and I own the complete 33 series so far..MM rocks!

Jerry James, johnnypaddock and mikeyt like this.
  15. siebenkaes

siebenkaes Forum Resident

Hi,

I've bought Tina Brooks True Blue and J. Henderson Page One MM 33.
    They both sound very very good. But Henderson Page One was distorted over the whole Side two.
    I sent it back and got a new one and this one crackles over the whole Side one.
    Is this an exception? Or how is the pressing Quality of MM in general.
    Thanks
    Ralf

16. antielectrons

Ralf, people have commented about pressing problems from time to time. How representative they are is hard to tell. MM have their LPs pressed by RTI.

17. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

One thing that bugs me about many of the BN's is an overall lack of dynamics particularly in the rythm section. That percussive snap that really makes music come to life, for me, is missing from many of the recordings.

18. antielectrons

I can't say that has been my experience but we all hear things differently I guess. RGV is known to have not got the best sound of out the piano but his rhythm section sounds good to me.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Which era are you talking about? In the late 1950's, RVG had this overload thing going, horns, drums distorting like crazy. This gave the music an exciting sound, made it like nothing else out there, especially in stereo where you can hear the instruments bouncing off of the walls, even when nothing is in the center, the "slap" is.

When Rudy moved, his gear got upgraded and his stuff lost that overloaded/distorted sound and became tame sounding, almost dull sounding. The music still was wonderful but that sense of "your hi-fi system was about to blow its stack" was gone. Those are the recordings that need the most work in mastering.

GruvyWade and mikeyt like this.
  20. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Interesting Steve, most of what I have is the mid 60's stuff except for Somethin' Else and Blue Train. I think I prefer his earlier recordings, distortion and all.

21. antielectrons

Midnight Blue was recorded by RVG at his new studio in 1963 and has plenty of dynamics and "percussive snap" - in fact its one of the most dynamic sounding recordings I have heard from him.

22. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Relative to other BN's, yes.

23. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Thanks for bringing it up. I remember reading about that session in the liner notes for Herbie's Complete Blue Note CD set. According to Wiki, Mr. Martin had played with Donald Byrd, so that is where Herbie might have known him from... But otherwise, I haven't heard much of him, even though he played with many of the greats in the '50s and '60s. Here is a photo of him:
    [​IMG]

TimArruda and MisterBritt like this.
  24. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[Tim, I know you didn't really ask this question, but I find the topic interesting, so let me say a few words.]

We can safely assume that there are analog copies of Blue Note tapes in vaults across the Atlantic and the Pacific. The Japanese have been using copies ever since they started issuing Blue Note albums on their own. All of the King Records (1970s) and Toshiba (1980s) reissues are unique masterings, therefore made from copies. Their subsequent exclusive CD reissues were probably also made from those copies, in case they didn't master them in the US.

As for Europe, there were Blue Notes being pressed in Germany during the Liberty era (late '60s), of which some were made from original Van Gelder metalwork, others re-cut (hence, from tape copies). Then there were Dutch Blue Notes in the late '70s (also analog, obviously). The French did a few all-analog pressings in the early '80s, before they switched to direct metal mastering (DMM) and digitally sourced vinyl.

All of those tapes must be lingering somewhere in the vaults in Europe, how many of them still exist I guess nobody knows. So it's not entirely un-logical that a record company that has no access to original masters can still use analog copies where available. It's what audiophile reissue companies like Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure have been doing all along and nobody seems to be complaining about the sound in those cases.

25. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Pardon my ignorance, but do we know which, if any, MM Blue Note 33rpm's will be in the works for 2015?

Thanks!