SQ help: Computer monitor in front of sweet spot -pics included

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mike catucci, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident Thread Starter

This room serves as my office and 2 channel getaway. I am basically stuck sitting behind the monitor while enjoying some tunes. Does anyone have a similar setup and has the computer monitor been an issue for you? I've moved it and really cannot hear a difference. I've place the Sierra One NrT's on the desk and while the nearfield experience was fine, things definitely opened up when they go back to their current position. Typically they are toe'd in a bit but I took this picture last night while experimenting with them facing forward.

Any help or advice appreciated :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burning Tires likes this.
  2. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

I have a similar arrangement.

One possibility for your room might be speaker stands with adjustable height, so you can raise them above the level of the computer monitor, with a direct path to your ears. I also use Auralex MoPADs under my speakers, which add the benefits of increased isolation, and the option of a slight downward angle. They are about shoulder height when I'm standing, but angled down and in towards my ears for sitting and listening. You could try this out for free just by stacking a foot or two of books or something on top of those CD displays.

mike catucci likes this.
  3. mike catucci

I really like this idea and had not thought of it. Will try it tonight thanks BT :)

How's the setup working for you?

4. Burning Tires

I like it a lot. My computer monitor is on a coffee table, so it sits a bit lower, in front of my couch. Not very comfortable for actual computer work, but this is in my man cave, so I'm just casually browsing forums, iTunes, or the Discogs site. The only thing I've messed with recently is - like you - changing the slight toe-in angle which either widens the soundstage, or more tightly focuses it. Wider feels better for long listening sessions.

5. mike catucci

I've been digging the wider stage lately as well. Recently got back into records and some of the stuff mastered by Ludwig really shines on that wider soundstage. It really has brought the music alive for me. CD's that I thought I knew like the back of my hand have a brand new "feel" to them on vinyl.

I'll report back on how I make out tonight.

6. Burning Tires

Cool! Hope it helps.

I totally agree on CD's vs. vinyl. Blew me away when I added a turntable to my system in January of this year. I was not expecting such a drastic difference; I thought it would just be a nostalgic choice. Whatever the technical reasons are, I feel so much more involved when listening to vinyl. My mind can stay focused on the music instead of wandering off in any direction.

mike catucci likes this.
  7. user33977

user33977 Banned

I have a similar setup in my office …

[​IMG]

… but unlike you I prefer to place myself in front of the monitor while doing my work, listening to music or viewing a movie. The tweeters are at the height of my ears, and my desk chair is located exactly in the sweet spot, forming a perfect equilateral triangle with the loudspeakers. I’m very happy with this setup, but as you probably can see I don’t have other options for placing the speakers.

The shelf behind my desk has a width of 180 cm (almost six feet).

Werner.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Burning Tires and mike catucci like this.
  8. mike catucci

How's the soundstage with that setup? If you don't mind me asking, what do you like about it and what do you find yourself lacking -if anything?

9. mike catucci

Exactly BT. I took the plunge a few months after you and for much the same reason. I assumed I was signing up for a warmer sound, but never anticipated the level of detail and realness (that is a non-audiophile word I just made up and I am working on a patent) that came along with the records. I had always thought that was what CD's were for. Now that I have learned that all vinyl is not created equal and mastering has a lot to do with it, it has really just added to the overall fun for me.

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Your monitor should have no negative effect on your stereo image. That's why you don't hear a difference when you move it. Trust your ears. :)

11. user33977

user33977 Banned

Mike,
    as I already wrote: I’m very happy with this setup, and I don’t miss anything. Sometimes the source of the sound appears to be located somewhere from “outside” this triangle, i.e. more to the far right or far left from the speaker. There’s a clearly defined and perceptible sound center between the speakers.

I think I prefer the more analytical, “dry”, flat and detailed sound reproduction available from pro equipment. In my living room I use passive, typical HiFi floor-standing loudspeakers (Triangle Esprit), which sound more “blooming” and “beautiful” than the active KRK monitors in the nearfield setup in my office.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  12. mike catucci

Thank you for your expanded thoughts. I know you were happy, but to be honest I can talk audio all day and so wanted to delve further into your setup to gain some more perspective regarding NF. Sorry to be a pain :D

Indeed the Ascend Sierra One NrT's I am using really fit that description as dry, flat and detailed sound. Nothing added to the music other than what the artist/mixer/engineer intended. Quite honestly for 1,100.00 they are the best speakers I have personally owned and I would expect to have to pay more than double that to find anything better.

user33977 likes this.
  13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

mike catucci likes this.
  14. mike catucci

Well I picked up the Auralex MoPADs from Amazon and I have to say I am indeed impressed. I already had the speakers placed on some 2" acoustic panels (not shown in my picture, we had just renovated and I did not place them back yet) that is made from wrapped fiberglass. My bro-in-law works in the dry wall industry and I asked him what he had lying around and was lucky enough to get several nice pieces of this. That said, the MoPADs were an immediate upgrade in a MAJOR way. For 40.00 it has had a dramatic effect on my bass. Tighter and deeper. I'm honestly shocked at just how much 2 little foam pads have improved my listening experience. I do have them angled down towards me as well.

Thanks for the advice BT, this was one of the best purchases I have made this year!

15. Burning Tires

Sweet! Glad to be able to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.