Linklater's Boyhood

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hightops, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I gotta say, some of us had far better luck.

There was an obscene number of young women at my college that met all four of the qualities you listed.

Sorry...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Dudley Morris likes this.
  2. I dunno - based on my own dorm experiences in grad school the ending didn't seem far-fetched at all. Some folks just have bad luck of the draw I guess.

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

That begs the question - were you a gloomy misanthrope dork? :)

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Linklater said the first time he watched the film with an audience, he realized everybody was tense during that scene, anticipating someone was going to fall onto the blade (?) that was sticking out of the wall... and he hadn't even considered that when shooting the scene. The same with the scene later on where the kid and his girlfriend are warned about texting while they drive, and then moments later are texting while they drive.

He said something to the effect of "We're so conditioned to expect disaster in a movie, and yet most of the time people move through their lives and nothing bad happens."

carrick doone and RayS like this.
  5. Heh, that's not too far off! I've never been the talkative social butterfly sort, which can translate as a "mysterious strong silent type" - at least at first, before the inner dork becomes apparent! Still, I got me the attention of a foxy, artistic future librarian early on, so it all worked out OK. :)

RayS likes this.
  6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe the girl was too good to be true but they did establish earlier that he'd been paired up by computer with a simpatico roommate (and didn't I hear somewhere -- or was it in the movie -- that these programs are amazingly effective?)

7. Certainly I half-expected something to happen - the mix of underage drinking and sharp objects, I thought either someone was going to fall on the blade or get it hucked at them. But then I remembered, that's not the sort of game Linklater usually plays...

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

When I first went to college we filled out a 100 question survey so we could be given handpicked roommates who were the perfect match for us. Halfway through the Fall semester I noticed that my roommate and I both had last names starting with "S", and the the guys down the hall both started with "C", etc. "Ancient Chinese secret, huh?"

9. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I took the ending as being a reversal -- or revision -- of the end of The Graduate. It's still "'What now?", still rife with uncertainty, but it shows the kids at a place in their lives when that blank canvas feels like an opportunity rather than a prison. There's a liberation about it.

Bowie Fett and Dudley Morris like this.
  10. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Saw this today. One of the finest films that I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. A bit early, but I predict Oscar wins for Best Picture, Director. Editing and Supporting Actor (Hawke).

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

If the Academy remembers the film, it's seldom they nominate movies that come out prior to October. Attention span is real short evidently...

12. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Good feedback, Mr. Sourpuss.:rolleyes:

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's revolutionary. It will definitely be remembered this year.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  14. Don't know that it will win, but I definitely expect a best picture nom, especially since up to 10 films can be nominated now.

Perhaps a best director nomination too? - not as sure about that one, since only 5 can get nominated.

lbangs likes this.
  15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Count on Best Pic, Director, Screenplay. I can't see any acting noms because the performances in this film were so naturalistic (read:not flashy), that the bigger name actors in the more conventional movies will get all of the attention. This was easily one of the best movies I've seen in years; a remarkable cinematic achievement even without the long-term casting backstory.

16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Boyhood has won best picture and best director awards from the New York and Los Angeles film critics' groups. And both organizations named Patricia Arquette best supporting actress.

17. Monosterio

However, despite the previous, I would bet everything I have that Selma will win the best picture Oscar. Anyone at all familiar with that movie will understand why, I'm sure.:)

(P.S. -- I'm not really betting.:D)

18. chacha

Have you seen Selma?

19. Monosterio

No, it doesn't come out here until January. It's on every critic's top 10 list I've seen, though.

20. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Too long for my tastes. The kid that starred in it is going places.

21. Monosterio

I thought the opposite: I found the kid the weakest element in the movie. Go figure.:shrug:

lbangs likes this.
  22. chacha

I thought both kids were much stronger as actors when they were young at the beginning of the film. As teenagers they seemed too overly naturalistic and not dynamic enough as actors. It's a significant flaw for me that made the second half of the film less interesting.

lbangs likes this.
  23. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Nothing happens in this 'movie'.We see 12 years go by very slowly.Waste of time .You have been warned.

24. Monosterio

I agree about both kids. Of course, there was no way for Linklater to know how good their acting would be 12 years later. Yet despite that I still loved the movie beginning to end. Boyhood and Whiplash are my favorite movies this year. So far, anyway.

25. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I saw it upon release and it was the best film I watched all year.
    Thanks for delaying your warning until now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.