Linn LP12 vs Rega P9, turntable comparisons wanted

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey Folks,

I currently have Rega P9 with a Dynavector XX2 mk.II and while I really like many things it does (speed stability, great highs and lows) and can't help but feel that I'd like a little more meat on the bones in the mid-range. I recently had a demo of a Linn LP12 (Akito arm, Adikt, Lingo).

The problem with the demo was that I really didn't care for any of the other components, (Linn Majik 140 speakers, later Naim S-400 or S-600, not sure which ones, and a Linn Majik-I integrated amp). So I really don't know how the Linn truly sounds. With the system at the demo, the bass was almost non-existent, which I would hope would be a result of the speakers and amp, not the Linn.

That said, I'm thinking about possibly going for a Linn with an Ekos tonearm and Lingo power supply. I'm just nervous that the bass may not dig as deep as the Rega P9 does on my own system. So, if anybody has had a direct comparison between the two tables, can they please offer their observations or advice?

I really just want to increase the mid-range a little more than what I'm getting from the P9.

Thanks.

2. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Perhaps a cartridge swap on the P9? You seem to be after a suttle difference in sound and changing out your table, arm and cartridge is a rather big move.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  3. Erocka2000

I do want to keep the Dynavector regardless of the table, as I really enjoy the sound.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Don't do it. You will be inviting many more problems.
    -Bill

5. Erocka2000

Other than the initial set up of the Linn, what other problems are you referring to?

TLMusic and eddiel like this.
  6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

There can be many. You have a known quality now as it sits in your system and you are asking about an unknown in situ. That can be a bit of a wormhole.
    -Bill

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Bill, I have an lp12 and I wouldn't mind hearing what those many issues are. Perhaps it would help the OP if you listed them rather than just said there are issues and he should stick with his P9. I respect your opinion and enjoy your posts but I'm struggling to work out what many issues you're referring to with the lp12.

TLMusic likes this.
  8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I am not going to comment here for endless debate among others. Basically, if you like what you have, you are in good shape. I was trying to help the OP.
    -Bill

9. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

:confused:

I've owned my LP12 for almost 15 years. Since then, it's been adjusted by the dealer a couple times, and I added a few Linn upgrades (Lingo, Trampolin). Notably, when my apartment had a six-alarm fire I had to quickly rescue the Linn from the burning building in 10 degree weather (true story, and the unit was still in adjustment after the ordeal).

I have had zero problems with my Linn LP12. None due to manufacturing defects, none due to the table going out of adjustment. No failures whatsoever. It's always sounded good to my ears. I wish any of the other mechanical items which get used in my daily life were even close to this level of reliability.

By the way, my local store sells Linn and Rega. They are successful with both lines. Tonight is Rega night (I'm going). From the comparisons I've heard at the store, I prefer the Linn, but also respect that both turntables brands are great and can provide outstanding performance.

P.S. I also own a P2.

chacha likes this.
  10. socalcm

socalcm Forum Resident

I doubt the P9 is the issue if you are missing something, certainly compared to a Linn. I chose a P9 over the Linn some years ago and have now moved up to the RP10. As suggested above, maybe a different cartridge or perhaps the phono stage. The local techs I know often have a Linn LP12 to work on but I don't think I have ever seen them fixing a Rega. They told me I was lucky I picked the P9. I didn't ask for details.

11. Erocka2000

It's really not the cartridge and phono stage, as both were used with my Well Tempered Amadeus GTA, and were completely fine. I just sold the Amadeus because I fancied a change. I thought I would like the Rega a bit more, after reading about it's impressive low end (which it does have), but the faster, cleaner sound of the Rega is a bit leaner than I would have hoped for. Hence the reason why I'm looking at the Linn. All I'm really looking for is people who have heard both tables to let me know if the Linn is comparable with the Rega in the low end. I already know it's going to have a full mid-range.

Also, if anyone has a Linn in the Brooklyn/NYC area, and would have me over, I'd love to come by to take a listen. I can bring beer ;)

12. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

I ran a P9 with a Koetsu and the midrange was gorgeous. Maybe an alternative to think about.

raferx likes this.
  13. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

What you really need to do is get a Linn rig in your house and play it on your system. Easier said than done ... I know.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the Linn's ability to "dig deep", but there are so many other variables. Presumably you have been honing your current system to your tastes, so your vinyl rig matches up with your phono stage etc. So its a big deal to change the front end, find the right cart etc. so you maximize its effect.

14. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

I've got an LP12, Ekos, Arkiv B and Lingo. The bass digs plenty deep!

May I suggest that you consider various speaker placement options in your room. I have found that in my room with my speakers (revel f30), bass response varies tremendously by speaker placement

15. Erocka2000

My system is not the problem, I have it set up very, very well. The problem was with the system I did the demo on, which I really didn't care for at all.

16. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

Oh, right-

My initial comment stands- deep bass is not an LP 12 issue

17. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Why not go back to what worked before?

18. Erocka2000

I want(ed) a table with a rigid tonearm and a rubber belt. I felt the thread belt and motor on the Amadeus to be it's one weak spot. Had it had a better motor and a rubber belt, I would have been able to live with the arm.

19. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

So, you may not be looking for other table suggestions, but from the sound profile it appears you are looking for, have you considered a VPI Classic? Nothing against the Rega (I'm a Rega dealer as well as a VPI dealer) or the Linn, but the Classic should give you just about everything you are wanting.

20. Erocka2000

To be honest, I'm not really crazy about unipivot tonearms.

21. Erocka2000

So does anyone in Brooklyn/NYC have a Linn that they wouldn't mind me coming to listen to?

22. John76

John76 Forum Resident

That's a nice idea from a social aspect but I doubt it will tell you much in relation to how the LP12 would sound compared to the Rega in your own system.

23. Erocka2000

Fair enough. I'd love for someone to bring their Linn to my apartment, but no one seems to want to do that. That said, I just want to hear the Linn on a system other than the one I did the demo on. But it seems as though no one in NYC or Brooklyn owns one. That, or they either don't read this forum or just don't want a weirdo like me coming to their apartment ;)

24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Take your deck to the store and listen beside the LP12 there. Both tables on the same system and in the same room. It doesn't get much more direct than that. Of course the cartridges won't be the same, but you eliminate the room and the system differences to help you get your head around what each table does.
    -Bill

eddiel and Static Discharge like this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes to this.
    Another thought would be to ask them if you could put down a deposit to take the Linn home for a night to demo in your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.