"STONE FREE" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience was never mixed in stereo!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigmikerocks, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Has the mono mix of Stone Free ever been released on CD?
    I'm tired of the stupid fake stereo mix...

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Polydor 825 255-2 made in W. Germany has it in mono.

NaturalD likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Prove it.

It isn't.

4. Adam9

Well, it sounds exactly the same on speakers or headphones whether my mono button on my amp is engaged or not.

5. Steve Hoffman

Means nothing. A fold down of the **** duophonic tape. Like I said, prove it! Someone.

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I have it on cd...a needledrop of the Track 45.

Steve, I wish Marshall (Audio Fidelity) could license a reissue of the mono mix of Are You Experienced on cd, plus the three Track 45's. Would be fantastic.

KipB likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

I personally think the (one and only mix which happened to be in mono) was dumped a long time ago and all that exists now is the rechanneled fake stereo tape.

It's upsetting.

8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

The first time I heard this, I could not believe how much better the mono sounds. The fake stereo is an abomination.

Dan

9. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Another question is, why was this song never mixed in stereo in the first place?

10. Steve Hoffman

Probably because of an overdub that was added to the recording during the mixing stage.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  11. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Well, that sucks.

12. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

I've always loved this tune and 6 or 7 years ago I went on Ebay and won an original Polydor UK 45 pressing. I thought it would be banged up (you can't ever truly trust the reports on condition, I've found) but this one was legit - it's actually one of the more pristine singles I own. The true mono kicks a** and is one of my most prized 7" slabs.

Aaron

13. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

We have the track listed as mono on the singles box set, The Singles Collection MCA / Experience Hendrix 0602498145036, released 2003. This version is listed as mono, I have never checked. I'll have a listen to it against the Polydor 45 later today and report back. Just to add to this. Though this is listed as mono the disc itself clearly is marked up as stereo.
    The disc contains two tracks, Hey Joe b/w? Stone Free so stereo may simply be the reference for the initial track, HJ.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    dino77 likes this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

A quick listen thru' the phones as it's still early here.

Whatever this is on the CD single, it is not the original mono mix that's for sure.
    It sounds ok until you spin the original mono 45 and then it pales in comparison.

So it looks like your gonna have to hook up a TT and grab an original Polydor 45 Ringo.

15. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I've always wondered if it's sat lingering in the UK "Smash Hits" Mono master reel which probably hasn't been touched since the original LP release.
    I'm guessing that album contains true mono mixes and not fold downs so I could be very wrong.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  16. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Many, many thanks for this! I have d/l'd it from YouTube and now have it in my collection.

nosticker likes this.
  17. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

A bit off topic here, but this thread made me realize that I have a bunch of 45s still sitting in a box somewhere in my garage. Been there ever since I moved here 19 years ago. And it should have a copy of Stone Free that I purchased in 1970, which has a little story that goes with it.

In the summer of 1969, I went to Europe with a student tour group. While in some city in Italy, the tour bus we were on stopped for a dinner break. I happened to come across a record store and was delighted to find two Hendrix songs that I hadn't heard of before (keep in mind that I was pretty much an album guy). These were Stone Free and Highway Chile on two different 45s. I remember being quite excited by this find and purchased them. But what was almost as cool was that the tour bus had a built-in record player, AND the bus driver was cool enough to play them through the bus's PA. Instant gratification!

Anyway, I've got to get into the garage and find that box (if you saw my garage, you'd know this will be no small feat).

KipB, skybluestoday, EVOLVIST and 2 others like this.
  18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Get the Track 45 w/ Hey Joe.

19. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Not on CD (yet...)!

20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

RSD 20-13 "Hey Joe b/w Stone Free" mono 45 was releasED from EH [have no idea what the source for either track was/however/people posted back then it was a "true" mono "SF" as well as "HJ"].
    Still hoping for an official release on CD.
    ["SF" on "The Singles Collection" Disc One is indeed fake]

MikeyP likes this.
  21. Adam9

This record explicitly states that both sides are from the mono mixes. "Hey Joe" certainly is as the background vocals are more prominent than on the stereo mix. "Stone Free" sounds significantly better than my fake stereo sources and sounds like the original single.

BIG ED and reb like this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

I have a rip of the Polydor* SF here now, I'll check it when I have time but a quick run through says its mono.
    If, and I stress IF, that is the case then it is possibly / probably the only digital copy of the true mono on official release.

here's the rub, there appears to be NO true stereo copy of this track / take on either vinyl or CD.

something to listen out for: At about the 19 second mark and runs a second or two, there is a "weird" noise. It appears the engineer was a little heavy handed when applying the fake stereo [or at least that's my guess for this odd sound].

*Polydor 825 255-2 made in W. Germany

23. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Narcissistic Douche Nozzle.

24. Steve Hoffman

Thanks. But no matter how many names you call me, there is NOT a true mono version of STONE FREE anywhere except the original 45. Not my fault.

BIG ED and timztunz like this.
  25. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Good deal. Will be sure to check back for the scoop. Would absolutely love to get my mitts on a digital copy, then determine if I should later pull the trigger on a 45.

The search for a true stereo SF has probably been exhausted a long time ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.