Your Opinions: New Integrated Amps: McIntosh vs Hegel vs Plinius

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joey_Corleone, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Can't be.
    You no longer have your Plinius 8200 ;)

2. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

3. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

4. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Because my room doubles up for home theater / gaming applications. I still need something that the BD/DirecTV/AppleTV/PS3/PS4 plugs into via HDMI that both processes video to send to my projector, and to decode all the latest surround codecs. That is why something with HT bypass is also a requirement in my chain.

5. Joey_Corleone

Ummmmm, I just happen to be going to Schaumburg, IL (NW suburbs) TOMORROW for work. Where do I bring my money? lol

6. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Gotcha....I only have Blu-ray (which is use 3.1) and a Apple Mac Mini/USB Dac that are digital sources so I don't really need digital or hdmi.

But I use my McIntoch C45 as my home theater preamp and have never desired to go back to digital inputs. But with all your gaming consoles....I can see the need to keep some digital inputes.....How about the new McIntosh D100? and some of the upcoming MC152 amps...

7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Can afford really nice gear... ;)

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  8. Joey_Corleone

Guys, seriously I am in Schaumburg, IL only until tomorrow. Where should I go to hear some mc gear?

9. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I really appreciate this thread, as I'm a huge fan of integrated amps. I've auditioned and owned a number of them over the years, including most of the ones previously mentioned (with the exception of Coda).

I really like the following:

a) VTL IT-85 - Bought one a few years ago - really nice clarity and neutrality. On the advice of my dealer, I recently added KT77 Gold Lions, which made it sound a bit more rich and full.
    b) Audio Research VSI75 - Heard it right out of the box and thought it was terrible. It exhibited screechy highs and distorted bass with a neutral source and recording. After an extended break-in, I listened to it again, and didn't think it was the same amp - it sounded wonderfully natural, lifelike and neutral (with the same set-up and recording). They said it took 500 hours before it reached its full potential, and it was clearly worth the wait.
    c) Luxman 590AII - Nice example of class A solid state done right - listed as 30 watts but seems more powerful.
    d) Cayin 688R - For some strange reason, reviewers have overlooked this superb tube amp from China - I have one as well. It also has a tone control.

The McIntosh sound has evolved nicely over the past decade. My first experiences were less than pleasant - the tube amps were too warm and obscured the finer details of a recording, and the solid state sounded downright harsh. But I auditioned them recently, and was surprised at how good they sounded. The solid state gear in particular was superb, right up there with the very best - I can't wait to hear the MA8000.

I would also try the VAC Sigma 160i. Given their pre and power amps, which I heard at CES this year, I suspect this may be a great one as well.

Redux likes this.
  10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have a rule if I spend more than a certain amount of money (here far exceeded). Is the company going to likely be around to support you the owner with parts, service, and support. DAC chips eliminate any of these. Luxman is eliminated due to too much turmoil in their ownership. McIntosh will be with us for the long haul. Plinius has been around long enough for comfort. Audio Research has. For that much money, I have a distrust for makes with a less than stable history and/or support issues. .

11. Redux

Redux Active Member

Agreed! I loved the sound of the Luxman - but when I asked the dealer regarding repairs and support, they did not really know what to answer. When I consulted the importer of Mcintosh gear, they said they have dedicated personnel that supports and repair Mcintosh amplifiers. Because I liked the deep soundstage and the build quality of the Mcintosh, and still refined sound, I went for the Mcintosh. This gear is way to expensive to 1) wait several weeks to ship it across the world 2) risk that the company is gone

wwright likes this.
  12. Redux

Redux Active Member

- You are not the first one that recommends Audio Research VSI75. I need to to check this one out.
    - I love the sound of the class A Luxman. Even the less expensive AB 505ux sounds very good. It is even more dynamic and sound better for some kind of music. In my opinion, this must be one of the very best deals on the market today. If only most people considered sound quality and not only branding. I wonder how, for instance, Bang & Olufsen, can sell their expensive and low quality gear at all.
    - I only have heard (and owns) the most recent gear of Mcintosh. I understand why some stereophiles prefer other and more analytical amplifiers - and probably there is much more bang for the bucks elsewhere - but the deep soundstage that puts the vocals and the guitars in the middle of my living room, and the way the amplifier add dynamics to my Quads (which they really need) - it´s a deal I could´t refuse.

wwright likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

One of my two systems is powered by McIntosh. And this integrated is vintage. It was built in 1967, very early SS and it is a MA 5100. By McIntosh standards it is humble compared to many forumites gear. But it is still well supported some 47 years later. And sounds terrific.

14. Redux

Redux Active Member

Most audio dealers I have talked to dislike Mcintosh. They tend to dislike the "american sound" and it´s "overrated" status - not to mention their comparison with Harley Davidson (They claim that you want to own one due to image & brand, and not due to performance). I tend to believe that their "hatred" must be due to the low margins (known brand) and due to the customers probably don´t show up again (for a long time) after purchasing Mcintosh. For me, I did like the sound very much - although it had a hard competition from Luxman.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Harley Davidson has nothing to do with audio. When these dealers boutique brand can withstand the use I give gear and sound good and not give issues, we will talk. I repair and maintain gear as my living, which can not fail outside of maintenance, it serves the public. I don't want to tweak excessively. When I need music when tired, stressed, and dealing with my physical challenges, I need reliable, easy maintained musical performance. When your brand has been in business the amount of time, the boys in Binghamton have and kept their quality. And engineering and build, then you have something to brag about. No one else in this business has been around since the pioneering days of High Fidelity have except for maybe Klipsch Heritage. Which is the voice of experience and doing it right. That is worth something in this day and age of the opposite. No attitude intended. These dealers don't live with my gear every day. They don't have to repair or maintain it. They don't have to live on my budget. I must make gear choices I can live with a long time. They must serve me well. I keep and own my gear for years, often bought second hand. How you would feel about a lot of gear would be very different as a second or third owner. It is easy to sing the praises of some high end company now defunct or who merged and does not support the older customers. McIntosh might be a bit overrated. But you can rely on it every day with care. They do an amazing job supporting what they manufactured. And you are enlightened, you get that and made the smart purchase.

62caddy likes this.
  16. Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith Forum Resident

Hey Joey_C, curious if you made a purchase or not, if you did what did you end up with? And are you enjoying it?

Kkfan likes this.
  17. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I'd like to know as well.

18. Mc240

Mc240 New Member

My vote would be for the McIntosh integrated; I've been into audio for almost 50 yrs and my two favorite amps were a McIntosh MC240 (with and MX110) and a
    Ma6900 integrated. I wish I had them back.

McLover likes this.
  19. Joey_Corleone

Hi guys - Yes, I actually ended up with separates - Mcintosh C2500 tube pre and the MC452 stereo amplifier. I love it, and posted a lengthy review here on the forum

The Good Guy likes this.
  20. Felix Bello

Felix Bello Well-Known Member

21. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

I'd go with a Hegel. Had one to listen to for a few weeks. Also like the McIntosh, but the Hegel is quite an amp. I just wish it had more "weight" in the mid bass. For all that, it is quite linear and no frequencies dips or bumps. Great on female vocals, has great ambience, image focus is quite good, very, very low distortion even on crescendos. Pretty impressive for the money they ask for it.
    I hear the McIntosh regularly at a local audio dealer, whom I frequent fairly often. His setup, though, does not bring out the best in the music and he's got a 60K system in one listening room: Audio Research, Wilson and some other biggies. Still, the McIntosh sounds very good - although I'm sure it would sound better in my listening room than his...

22. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

And I eventually heard the VAC 160i SE - superb detail, neutrality and presence. I heard it at CES with the Dynaudio C2 Platinum, which was a great combination. My thought upon hearing it - this thing will elevate your system in a big way. Expensive amp, but worth every penny.

And the Line Magnetic LM-518ia is now another favorite. I heard it at a local dealer with a pair of DeVore Fidelity speakers. In addition to the great sound, there was a nice sense of dimension to the presentation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.