Poll - What Is Your Favorite US #1 single from 1979?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

wow, was rock dead and buried?
    I went with "What A Fool Believes"
    I also like Tragedy / Bad Girls / Don't Stop / Too Much Heaven / Love You Inside Out / Hot Stuff / Good Times

2. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Love your post above Tim. As a matter of fact I do love "Sugar Sugar" :D (and "Dizzy", which reminds me of a young crush at that time). Still, upon review, only Tom Jones and Mancini (which ain't half bad) are songs I didn't seriously love in 1969. And 1979---there's maybe two I liked? On the other hand, I quite liked a lot of 1985 that you list. I appreciate your empirical approach, it mitigates against the biases of nostalgia. I'm getting softer as I get older, and so disco--which eclipsed the Philly soul sound I loved so much in '69-'75---is actually sounding better these days. Hell, I would defend K.C. and the Sunshine Band any day. Cheers!

3. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Another Brick In the Wall (Part 2) was number 1 in the US, UK, and 15 other countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Brick_in_the_Wall_(Part_2)#Part_2

Edit: OK, re-reading your question, I'm not sure, it was released in November, so it may have not gotten to number 1 until 1980, but it was released in 1979. That's the important part, right?

Edit #2: to answer your question specifically, it didn't hit number 1 in the US until 1980 and spent four weeks there.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/another_brick_in_the_wall

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    botley likes this.
  4. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

"Heart of Glass, followed by "My Sharona" and "Don't Stop . . . "

5. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Wow - what an awful list!

Out of the songs listed there I'd give Blondie the nod. However, that's not how I remember 1979 -- thanks AZRunner for your list, that's more like it!

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Exactly, that's what I wanted to know. Maybe the original poster forgot to mention this single, or maybe it is not listed because it reached the top in 1980.

7. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

"Pop Muzik," it finally felt like dance music didn't have to be disco anymore.

8. botley

botley Forum Resident

The "Good Times" bassline was the inspiration that launched subsequent hits "Rapper's Delight" and "Another One Bites the Dust", to name just two. I picked it partly for that reason but also because no one else grooved like Chic.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Knack ( and how to get it). :)

10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Pop, pop, pop muzak.

11. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

FANTASTIC list! I'd tried to keep my original alt-list to the heart of the mainstream, but man, once you start adding some of those, this becomes a phenomenal year. Some others for me, admittedly few of them as tasteful as yours:

First, a couple more from artists on your list:
    The Police - Walking On The Moon
    The Clash - London Calling (Dec. 79, but still)
    Ramones - Rock and Roll High School
    Squeeze - Slap and Tickle

And, apologies if I missed these on other peoples' lists....

Led Zeppelin - Fool In The Rain (#2 Zep all-time for me)
    The Talking Heads - "Life During Wartime (This Ain't No Party... This Ain't No Disco... This Ain't No Foolin' Around)" (That was in fact the official title of the single)
    Pretenders - Better Stop Your Sobbing/Wait
    Pretenders - Kid/Tattooed Love Boys
    Pretenders - "Brass In Pocket (I'm Special)" (Also the official name of the single)
    Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Accidents Will Happen
    Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Oliver's Army
    Cheap Trick - Dream Police
    Cheap Trick - Surrender
    The Cars - It's All I Can Do
    The Cars - Good Times Roll
    The Cars - Let's Go
    Gary Numan - Cars (haha! Yep.)
    XTC - Life Begins At The Hop
    XTC - Making Plans for Nigel
    Parliament -- Aqua Boogie (A Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadoloop)
    Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    Queen - Love Of My Life (this version from Live Killers was released as a single in '79)
    Heart - Dog & Butterfly
    Foreigner - Head Games
    AC/DC - Highway To Hell
    Triumph - Hold On (c'mon, it's ace)
    The Eagles - I Can't Tell You Why
    Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays
    Prince - I Wanna Be Your Lover
    Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
    Fleetwood Mac - Sara
    ELO - Don't Bring Me Down
    The Damned - Love Song
    The Damned - Smash It Up
    The Damned - I Just Can't Be Happy Today...and speaking of damned....
    Charlie Daniels Band - Devil Went Down To Georgia (srsly, somebody had to mention it)

And to balance the FM/college radio skew a little: KC & The Sunshine Band - Please Don't Go

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    AZRunner likes this.
  12. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Looking at that list, I would think it wasn't a great year for rock, but it actually was.

Aftermath likes this.
  13. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I think I have just witnessed the worst list of songs in the history of popular music.

14. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Of these #1's, I have all but "Knock On Wood," "Heart Of Glass," "Ring My Bell," "Pop Muzik," "No More Tears," "Babe" or "Escape." I voted "Love You Inside Out," because . . . well, a) it is amongst my favorites on the list, and b) someone had to vote it, as until I came along there were zero votes.

15. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Oh, I don't know . . . "Three Little Fishies," anyone? "The Hut Sut Song"? "One Meat Ball"? "Open The Door, Richard"? Even "Horsey, Keep Your Tail Up"?

16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I'll take one from this list :D

Another Brick in the Wall (pt. 2)

17. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

After "Don't Stop...", my next four would be "Knock on Wood", "What a Fool Believes", "Pop Music" and "Heart of Glass"

18. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Hey, there my favourites !!!!

19. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

[​IMG]
    This really bit the big one.

20. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

That Bee Gees song.

21. F.Natural

F.Natural Well-Known Member

none of the above.

22. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

This list really brings back memories. I was working in a record store at the time and own every one of those songs. I like virtually everything on there, though have less enthusiasm (then and now) for the insipid ballads, like Reunited and Babe. And Heartache Tonight is a song I didn't mind at the time, but am pretty sick of now. The disco one hit wonders have aged pretty well for me. Ring My Bell, Knock On Wood, I Will Survive are all great songs. I voted for Chic's Good Times, because I think it was the most influential song to reach the top that year (inspiring other songs and being sampled countless times.). The song I've played the most over the years is Heart Of Glass. But the Donna Summer tracks are no slouches either. And MJ's Don't Stop was the first time I thought he had really blossomed as a creative (as opposed to performing) artist. I was always more of a rock guy, and that year I was really into punk, but I have always loved a well-crafted pop song, and despite what many of these posts say, these songs are generally well done, catchy pop. I even like Do Ya Think I'm Sexy!

Retro Hound likes this.
  23. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

What an awesome year, but I can't believe I'm the only one to vote for Sad Eyes! I loved this song as a kid.

24. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

My Sharona - The Knack

25. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Amazingly enough, never really listened/paid attention to the lyrics of that song until this year (due to its inclusion in the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Soundtrack), and just realized what the song was about....too funny!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.