Best Sounding Analogue Trifecta Suggestions ~ $2500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. I agree with this sentiment but wondered if the Rega RP3 specifically suffered from audible ill effects without the speed box.

2. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

It's just that whenever I see (hear) a outboard box that someone has designed with improved$$$/power stability and isolation, and a more sophisticated chip frequency reference for speed, I always find the timbre to be so much sweeter, and the presentation more relaxed. The Rega box included (I think the RP3 is well worth it). You can always muck around with better table isolation to quiet things down. Other than that, eventually the platter bearing will become the squeaky wheel at some point (due to rumble, perceived as surface noise or a less black background), and then you are looking at another table. Short of the venerable Sondek Lp12 and its upgrade platter bearing, the Cirkus, most tables are designed around the bearing.

3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

VinylRob likes this.
  4. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

5. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

It's a good idea to get the cruise control if you go the MMF7 route too. Mine, and other's I've read, ran slow at 33 1/3. I bumped mine up to 33.5 using the cruise control to get actual platter speed to 33 1/3. It was right on at 45rpm though.

6. avanti1960

7. avanti1960

[​IMG] A great package deal came my way through a local dealer and for just under $2400 they put together the VPI Traveler V2, Pro-Ject Tube Box DS and Dynavector 20X2L cartridge.
    Expectations exceeded and the combination is highly recommended.
    The Tube Box DS is a little noisy / hissy at volume but the dynamics and tube realism are more than worth it.
    It brings just the right amount of tube musicality and slight midrandge edginess to the sound that make saxophone, electric guitar and vocals take center stage when compared to the smooth sheen of digital.
    A new dimension to my listening experience that is just what I was hoping for.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Ham Sandwich and raferx like this.
  8. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I was lucky got get my Scout used for $1100, then add the Phonomena II, and MP-500 and I'm reght there.

avanti1960 likes this.
  9. avanti1960

i am spellbound by the value and precision of the vpi table. it is just so cool. just effing mesmerized by the setup. the dyna cart isnt even broken in yet. not lots of cred for the tube box ds but let me tell you its amazing the tube contribution.
    right now playing pf division bell and i
    have never heard acoustic guitars rendered so well on any stereo system.

10. avanti1960

Really giving a major shout out for the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS. I just swapped in some Psvane tubes and OMG the thing is amazing. People really need to hear how incredible this box sounds, the tube stage blows me away, it is stupid good. Dynamic and up front yet smooth guitar solos that just leap out of the speakers, an incredible rock and roll experience. It's like the amp for the guitar is connected to my speakers (example David Gilmour on "Division Bell"). Solid state sounds veiled and meager by comparison- I will never again own a solid state phono stage. Seriously amazing. Exceeded all expectations by a mile.

11. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Curious what SS stages you're comparing to???ve heard some (and own at least one) that blows away my TubeboxIIse.

I'll also mention the I replaced the tubes in mine and liked what I heard with a pair of Gold Lions. Sure is fun trying new options.

I'd be curious what loading you found best. Very cool to be able to change it so easily on the fly!

12. avanti1960

admittedly I have only heard middle of the road solid state phono stages but there is just something special that the tubes do for the sound that is easily distinguished and unmistakeable. sort of like a gritty dynamic realism and clarity that is still smooth and non irritating, especially in the midrange that seems to excell at rock guitar and percussion, an added level of excitement that is perfect for rock (and not too bad for jazz and classical either).
    i have the loading set to about 90 ohms. the cart manufacturer recommends >30 ohms. i cannot hear any difference from about 50 ohms and higher.
    below 50 and things get muted and start to roll off drastically.

13. Miguels

Miguels Member

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a similar setup. Would you mind sharing the dealer info from where you got this deal?

Thanks!

14. avanti1960

music direct. they to not have a showroom but you can pickup from the warehouse on bryn mawr. talk to chris.

15. Miguels

Miguels Member

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.