Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #62)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fafner88

Fafner88 Forum Resident

It's a reduced version for a chamber ensemble...

2. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]
    The Mandelring Quartett delivers an excellent interpretation - but you should definitely try this one performed by an aptly named ensemble (recorded in 1963).....

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/COCO-73206

very good transfer too...

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have the Melos.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have both recordings by the Talich Quartet on Calliope, the earlier one from 1985 and 1988 and the later one from 2004.

5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I enjoyed this CD
    Nikolai Medtner
    VergesseneWeisen (Forgotten Melodies)
    Hyperion, 2006
    Marc-Andre Hamelin
    [​IMG]

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

That box will not be for me since I will have too many duplicates ...

bluemooze likes this.
  7. coopmv

I have this recording as a standalone single CD ... :righton:

8. coopmv

Does anyone know if the following Mercury box, a 3-LP set has ever been remastered to CD? I bought this set probably in the early 80's ...

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

I believe this CD is included in the following box, which I added to my collection a few years ago ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and J.A.W. like this.
  10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I am sorry I bought this box set of CPE Bach’s complete works for solo piano, Ana-Marija Markovina. On Hanssler. 26 CDs, 2014. I didn’t agree with her timings or rhythms, or her other interpretative choices. Some critic recommended it, but I will probably never buy on his recommendation again.:doh:
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

An excellent option for the complete solo Chopin piano works. Better sound than Rubinstein and frankly, I like the performances more than the ones in that budget Rubinstein set. The ones in the Rubinstein set come from his later years. Personally, I think the performances found in his mono recordings are a lot better. I wish RCA had done a Chopin box of his early or middle period (both mono.)

A person named Hank Drake wrote something online when the Rubinstein collection was released. I agree with his findings:

bluemooze likes this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Would that be David Hurwitz by any chance? He rated it 10 out of 10.

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

I think this is it: http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Complete-Orchestra-Pyotr-Ilyich/dp/B0000041F1

I have that same issue, which I think I bought new at Turtle's Records and Tapes in Atlanta, cashing in a book of "turtle's stamps" (like S&H green stamps, but restricted to the Turtle's chain). Later, I got the earlier Mercury Living Presence issue. A longtime favorite set for me.

[edit] Did I really just compare something to S&H green stamps? Well, I guess the secret's out: this guy is as old as the dinosaurs....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    bluemooze likes this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm glad I have the big RCA Rubinstein box, which has it all :)

15. George P

As do I and as am I.

ToddBD likes this.
  16. coopmv

I have never heard of her ...

17. coopmv

So the original 3 LP's were remastered into a Philips DUO ...

18. coopmv

I think I am the third person who has the same box ...

19. George P

You got the big Rubinstein box?

20. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the lovely Barcarolle from this set. The Fantasie is disappointing, but the rest of the CD, as stated earlier, is indeed DA BOMB!

John S and bluemooze like this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Beethoven - Symphony No. 5" performed by The Hanover Band led by Roy Goodman on Nimbus.

[​IMG]

Robin L likes this.
  22. George P

As a follow up to the post I made earlier, I compared Wasowski, Luisada and Rubinstein (second mono) sets tonight. Here's my findings:

[​IMG]

Wasowski - Concord Concerto - slow and beautiful, he plays these like Nocturnes. Great sound. Not wise as a central or first set, but a lovely second set option. OOP and fairly expensive (around $40 used on amazon.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Luisada - DG or Newton- A bit faster than Wasowski, but slower than Rubinstein. Nice sound, if a bit reverberant. He plays well, but misses many of the nuances Rubinstein brings out in this music, things like brio in the faster Mazurkas, varied dynamics in the repeats. Inexpensive on amazon, the DG (earlier) incarnation can be had on amazon for under $8.

[​IMG]

Rubinstein
    - Mono set (1952-55) - My new favorite. Mono sound is remarkably clear, none of the blurring you get in Luisadas set. Nice variance in tempo, dynamics. Overall, a lovely, nuanced performance. A great first and/or central set of these great, under-appreciated works. I paid quite a bit for my copy, but I see amazon has a number of like new copies for under $20.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Issued 1996. Recorded 8/66.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    "Outstanding High Fidelity Through Radial Sound". Recorded in Severance Hall, 3/3-4/61.
    Producer: Howard H. Scott. I have all five Piano Concertos by Fleisher/Cleveland/Szell on Sony 'Essential Classics' CDs.

25. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

From Amazon:
    The ensemble mini, a critically acclaimed gathering of young musicians from Berlin led by British conductor and the ensembles founder Joolz Gale, play Gustav Mahler's large, yet intimate and very personal Ninth Symphony in Mr. Gales specially commissioned Klaus Simon arrangement for mini-orchestra. Embracing the motto small is beautiful, each undertaking aims to reduce to the max the artistic, historical and musical relationship between the symphonic composer and ensemble, following the tradition of Schoenberg's early 20th c. Verein für musikalische Privataufführungen, Wien

I really love the last movement of the 9th, so I thought I would take a listen.....

jukes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.