Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014 to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Really surprised that Page didn't do a super deluxe for IV. I am sure he could have stretched it out to 4 disks with outtakes, remixes and live tracks.

2. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

The bootleggers beat him to it.

rburly likes this.
  3. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Not a huge LZ fan, but anyway I'm buying these reissues. Strangely there's more good material on bootlegs than on these releases. Generally I prefer buy legitimate releases, but I can't understand the logic of this Jimmy Page operation. But, as said, I'm not a huge LZ fan and I don't know enough. Excellent remasters though, but the bonus part is poor. Just an opinion of a music fan. No problem. ..Ready for the Complete Basement Tapes release the next week...

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That bugs me, too. I have a few other CDs by other artists with no text on the spine, and I hate how it looks on the shelf. :p

I'm a stickler for continuity myself. ;)

RoyalScam likes this.
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

Was mostly interested in the discs of additional audio. A few things I like. It's been some slim pickings for me, but the alternate mix of Four Sticks makes for a real Halloween treat! Best 'bonus companion' track to my ears from II, III, and IV. Right there with That's The Way, which I keep suspecting in a paranoid way is somehow a concert performance made into studio recording (I know, I know, sorry for the cynicism!) and I do like the more natural sounding bonus companion track of When The Levee Breaks. Although I enjoyed the sonics of the two acoustic instrumentals they seem for me to have had a short shelf life. Four Sticks is an essential companion track, imho, and When The Levee Breaks not far behind it.

Simon A and rburly like this.
  6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Since most people bought one of the other versions, here is what the single disc version looks like.

The division on the gatefold is a bit disappointing, but no biggie. The CD itself sounds great. Better than all previous CDs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tkl7, gstring, rock76 and 4 others like this.
  7. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Alright, listened to these in full again, unfortunately dont like these at all:
    - HOTH. The Ocean is obviously distorted in the left channel (P-USA in the deadwax). Pressing/cutting fault. Fortunately the Optimal press doesnt have that fault.
    - IV. The ending of the Stairway To Heaven and When The Levee Breaks is distorted throughout. Ending of the Stairway To Heaven is probably just a inner groove distortion, but When The Levee Breaks sounds like the master tape is worn or the cut is just poorly made - the whole song is painful to listen to. Maybe the Pallas version is better? For ZOSO, I only have the Optimal press.

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The only negative I have is that the deluxe vinyl omits the back image of the high-rise. That's always been the only part of the art I liked and it's nowhere to be seen, not even inside. Otherwise excellent.

Simon A likes this.
  9. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

Okay, I'm a little late to the party, but I got the hi-res digital versions of IV and HOTH. I listened to both at work today and I'm very happy with both. I still need to listen on my home system with my good headphones. I'd still like to have the vinyl version of IV. I miss the artwork and everything. Physical media still has its place, at least for me.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Simon A like this.
  10. dee

dee Senior Member

I'd have to add the companion Stairway as the 3rd bonus (is 'companion' track like fwb or something :)) song to Four Sticks (just that last verse of vocals on FS are a bit over the tonal edge for me! but otherwise a damn good alt version) and the less effected but still rather demonic WTLB as 3 tracks I've been either happy or interested To having heard. Next for me, into the HOTH.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Simon A likes this.
  11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

My companion vinyl IV is pressed off center and the spindle hole is terribly elliptic so its hard to center. sounds great tho once tonearm travel is minimized

However, I bailed on my attempt to play Stairway backwards to search for new subliminal messages as a result :cool:

12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

The bass and drums on Black Dog makes this so worth it. I don't think I've ever heard the track like this. These CDs sound really really good.

IV companion disc = mind blown! The sunset mix of Stairway is awesome, and I'm really enjoying the dryer mix of the alternative versions. So far IV and III companion CDs are the gems of the series.

Also the booklet for IV is really beautiful, those shots are incredible. Makes me regret not getting the super deluxe edition for IV, as I'm sure the book is beautiful.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    rock76 and Tommyboy like this.
  13. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Bought the single vinyl HOTH, and am not a fan. The mix is really bright, as if it was mixed on dull monitors or by someone with high-end hearing loss. Harsh and fatiguing. Just not engaging or moving - I so wish that this was AAA. Mine's a P.USA pressing, and no "The Ocean" distortion. Purchased from elusivedisc.

I contrast that with a Jeff Beck Group ("Orange") AAA Target reissue that I picked up in the same purchase. My previous copy was really harsh - it may have been digitally source. The Target reissue sounded great, and the music was moving and engaging. It can be argued that that album is not well produced or mixed (I would agree), but this reissue sounds great. The contrast to the digital source Zep album is startling.

I wish that I hadn't spent the money on the Zep album, and waited for the reviews.

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

He could have done it better -- he had access to all of the session reels and wider range of mulitracked live tapes, particularly Japan '71.

ti-triodes likes this.
  15. dee

dee Senior Member

Over The Hills And Far Away is pretty cool -maybe especially so if you multi track and/or play guitar. Going to return to that for more listens. I think No Quarter makes for a cool and creepy soundtrack piece, instrumental, or backing track. The delicacy of the piano in the arrangement adds an essential ingredient to the mix. Fwiw, I like these two tracks best. Glad to have them.

Jimii70, HotelYorba101 and rock76 like this.
  16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm a little disappointed that Jimmy used the criteria of "what the bootleggers haven't released" to determine his decision on using live recordings. Sure there are plenty of people who have boots but not everyone and if he has better source tapes then why not release better versions for EVERYONE'S benefit? I'd take a good live cut over a song without the vocal track which are interesting but how many times will you play it? I'm really on the fence with these reissues. I haven't heard any of them yet. I would like to have an improved copy of III and IV but only because they aren't quite up to par with my I and II. I bought HoH on the day it was released so I have a nice RL of that one and based on what I've read about The Ocean, I won't be touching that one with a ten foot tone arm.

hvbias, jsayers and mark renard like this.
  17. trevaaar

trevaaar Forum Resident

I'm starting to think I'm the only person on this site who likes the Page/Marino IV. The new remaster is also great, but I like what the mid-heavy tone of the 90s disc does to the guitars. For all the other albums I've heard so far the new disc easily beats the Page/Marino.

tkl7 likes this.
  18. dee

dee Senior Member

Should add that I have enjoyed the alt lead guitar mix in TSRTS too. Although I think the transition from that into Rain Song has always been a special one, of the epic sort, I'm looking forward to hearing the instrumental OTHAFA right after TSRTS and following that with the No Quarter music.

19. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

The 2014 IV makes the previous versions seem like they forgot to include the bottom end.

HotelYorba101 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  20. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Yeah but he said he wouldn't release what the bootleggers already released. Plus the stuff that got stolen was his personal recordings, it might have been the only versions that existed.

21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'd love to hear all the details <preferably from Page> about this theft. I remember in the mid 80's when cd's were relatively new and all these excellent soundboard live Zep shows started appearing from nowhere. It must have been right around that time that the thief or thieves struck. I don't collect LZ boots so have no idea just how much live and studio recordings Page lost. Since that was before computers, etc. I'll bet Jimmy didn't have any back-ups as someone noted above. What a damn shame. :sigh:

22. Neal Dave

Neal Dave New Member

All i want is just one more live album from the 70's and my life will be complete. Im tired of listening to BBC, HTWWW, and TSRTS. Maybe seattle '77....

23. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

A lot of soundboards started to show up after Grant died also.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is unclear as to what was stolen. It is hard to imagine Page had session reels in his house, especially when it was revealed a ton of that stuff was found in the Olympic trash cans. A lot of the booted material from his house tapes seemed to have been 1973 and 1980 soundboards and cassette tapes of his pre-Led Zeppelin III acoustic demos. Perhaps some LZ experts could provide some more insight. There has never been any indication that album session reels were stolen.

fishcane and Simon A like this.
  25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Might be a good topic to post over at Royal-Orleans.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.