Looking for opinions on the Oppo BDP-105 for 2-channel SACD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Crossett, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Been living with the 105 for over a year now and still very pleased. Even in the context of a six figure system, the 105 is an exceptional performer as a 2ch deck.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Did you formally review it? I may have missed that issue. I don't know if I've heard any $10K+ digital front-ends before. Always interested in how things compare. I heard/owned several $5-$10K digital front-ends from 10-15 years ago. I like the 105 better than them all.

EDIT: I've actually heard the Meridian 861 versions several times. Lovely machines. Not sure which I'd prefer more.

3. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Need help.

I just set up my 105 in a stereo only set up using rca cables. I set the SACD playback to default to DSD. But when I popped my MOFI Brothers and Sisters SACD, the menu says Track Type:SACD PCM. Why would that be and can I change that to DSD?

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

PM SamS Bob, he's our Oppo guru.

5. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Set HDMI Audio to Off.

6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Nope, I don't think it does. At least the display on my Onkyo TX-NR818 tells me it's DSD. If it converts then it displays PCM.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, you'll either want to set HDMI audio to Off, or update to the latest firmware. This was sorted out with a February 2014 firmware release.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-10x-Firmware.aspx

Billy Budapest likes this.
  8. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

If you do any processing in the Onkyo, it may still say "DSD" for the input format but it will, of necessity, convert it to PCM for Audyssey. You need to set it for "Pure" or "Direct."

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

firmware update fixed it.

Odd they would ship it with such old firmware...isn't it??

10. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I strongly suggest playing back music in "pure audio" mode on the 105. It sounds great in standard mode, but the sound gains resolution, depth, and width with the video circuitry off.

Simon A and tonideangel like this.
  11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

On my TX-NR906, you can set DSD to either 'Yes' ('DAC Direct') or 'No' [Set Up/Audio Adjust/DSD] - if this is not set, I'm not sure if 'Pure' and 'Direct' setting of the listening mode bypasses DSD->PCM conversion.

'DSD' is always lit on the receiver unless I set the OPPO to convert to PCM.

Listening now, I'd give the edge to 'DAC Direct' set to 'Yes' but I'm in 'Stereo' listening mode as DSD isn't passed to the headphone output in 'Direct' or 'Pure' mode so who knows what I'm listening to :nyah:. Still, sounds better than in 'Direct', 'Pure' or 'Stereo' listening modes with 'DAC Direct' set to 'No'.

And people wonder why SACD never took off?!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    Dino likes this.
  12. Brother_Rael

Thanks for the info Kal. I don't have Audyssey setup yet on the amp, should get round to it sometime. I use the amp in 2-channel stereo mode only. No m/c speaker arrangement. Time to bring out the manual methinks. Only had the thing for just over a year, so maybe I should open the book up...!!

13. Brother_Rael

I hear and feel your pain Mal. The complexity of something that should really be straightforward...yoiks!

Mal likes this.
  14. Brother_Rael

Hi again Kal, just checked the Onkyo manual online for the 818 and tried out one of the Stones' DSD/SACD releases from 2002 (Metamorphosis). The manual recommends pressing the "Display" button to check what's being output an I've used it to check what's been used for various recordings I've had off an external hard drive I use to see the bitrate.

Based on what the readout is telling me, the Marantz is sending the DSD signal through to the amp and the amp's outputting the DSD stream. No conversion to PCM (which it sends to the display for other files).

15. Myke

Thanks to these posts, I have fixed my inability to access DSD as well.

Also Bob, since I was on the waiting list 2 years ago, when I got called to reaffirm my order for the 103, maybe they were boxed up back then, thus making any firmware upgrade impossible ? They sent you one of those perhaps ?

Now I just have to see if my ears can hear the difference between PCM & DSD. :laugh:

16. Kal Rubinson

I see the setting on page 106 of the manual:
    No: DSD signals are processed by the DSP
    (default).
    Yes: DSD signals are not processed by the DSP.
    If not processed by the DSP, they remain DSD to the output DAC.

17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

What I'm not sure about is why on my receiver the DSD sourced audio is not fed to the headphone output in 'Pure' or 'Direct' listening modes when no PCM conversion is selected, yet it is passed to the headphone out in 'Stereo' (and 'Mono') modes. Maybe it's a bug?

18. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Firmly entrenched in the Marantz camp here. I'm of the opinion that the "law of diminishing returns" applies with dacs above 24/96. 32/384 is overkill. More bits/ speed is needed to a point. I know it measures better but in real world listening and I think more bits is more important than more clock speed although I don't appreciate any discernable improvements in the soundfield over the lighter/slower dacs. Most importantly, a sharp focus should always be kept on analog section designs and manufacture.

I know the 105's a great player with state of the art dacs and a very good analog section but my 15 year old Marantz Reference DV12-S1 with it's "antiquated" 24/192 dacs and HDAM analog section is the equal (if not the better) of the Oppo with DVD-A playback. Yes, the retail price of the Marantz was almost three times that of the current Oppo but mine was a new closeout at $999. :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  19. Kal Rubinson

Dunno. Never use headphones.

Mal likes this.
  20. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

Anyone have a chance to compare it to an Esoteric K-05? One thing I've been very concerned about down the road is the longevity of SACD transports - something very appealing with the Esoterics...

21. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

You could buy the and Oppo and 7 more Oppo's (just in case of failure) for the same price as a K-05! :D

22. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Love my 105D, and I have 100 SACDs (only 2-channel listening with headphones)...

Great unit as DAC for my computer, too.

23. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

LOL was thinking the same thing after posting.... in a twisted way it would be harder to explain to my wife purchasing 8 Oppo's and storing 7 of them in the garage.

Also I noticed while researching last night that the BDP-105 only goes up to 24/96 on SPDIF... that's an important factor for me.

Mike

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

All OPPO Blu-ray players support 24/192 out of SPDIF. Only applicable to compatible discs/file formats though. Like HDADs.

25. Myke

And Neil Young's Archives :love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.