Poll - What Is Your Favorite US #1 single from 1979?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Do Ya Think I'm Sexy has always been a guilty pleasure of mine.

2. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Given the preponderance of .....Disco in this list, I feel it's only appropriate to post this -

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Even though it's one of my least favourite songs by The Knack, I have to go with "My Sharona" as it still sounds fresh today and the solo is perfection (especially in the single edit).

4. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I honestly could not choose just one of these songs as a favorite, because I like them all. Although, I suppose I could say that "My Sharona" COULD be my favorite, because it spent the most weeks at #1 (6 weeks) of all the songs listed AND because I used to tap my pencil on my school desk in 7th grade to the tune of the beginning of the song.

As a side note, "Le Freak" by Chic should probably be on this list as well, since it was #1 in January 1979 (a leftover from the #1 songs of 1978).

5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm a little surprised to see "Ring My Bell" on zero votes.

Even Herb Albert has one vote.

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Technically it was still number one in '79 but only for one week - most of it's six week run was at the end of '78. This would be the case for almost every single that was number one at the end of December - "Escape" was also at the top in '80.

7. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

"Technically it was still number one in '79 but only for one week - most of it's six week run was at the end of '78. This would be the case for almost every single that was number one at the end of December - "Escape" was also at the top in '80."

"Le Freak" was #1 for three weeks in 1979: The weeks of 1/20, 1/27 and 2/3. In between the time it first went to #1 in December 1978, it allowed "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" by Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond and "Too Much Heaven" by The Bee Gees to interrupt its 6-week run at the top of the chart.

"Escape"'s 3-week run at #1 was also interrupted for a week, the week ending 1/5/80 while KC & The Sunshine Band's "Please Don't Go" was #1. In all technicality, "Please.." was the last #1 of the 70's, being #1 for the week of 12/30/79 to 1/5/80.

8. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

for once I knew how I was going to vote before I even clicked the link

9. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Good Times by some distance

10. WadeB

WadeB Forum Resident

Blondie is the only thing on this list I can even listen to, but I love listening to it.

11. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I was a senior in college for the first half of this list, and was falling in love with my now-wife during the second half, so the music of this time is a soundtrack to some happy times.

However, that which topped the chart was pretty dismal. I don't think I have any of these on my MP3 player except the Eagles' song, as I have the entire album.

My choice was "Pop Muzik." I bought the single at the time, and I still find it catchy.

JcS

12. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

A LOT of good stuff cancels each other out, so "Pop Muzik" gets the vote.

13. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've only heard five or six of those. My Sharona and Heart of Glass are pretty decent, a couple of others okay. Kid by the Pretenders is my favourite song of the year in retrospect, along with Daphne (Laurel Tree) by Kayak.

14. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Those songs are all a pretty dismal representation of 1979. Nice listening for casual light pop radio mostly.
    The tail end of both rock and disco, not a good year for either.
    At least disco had some songs that charted that year.

15. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

On soft rock stations that Herb Albert tune is inescapable.

16. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I just listened to "Rise" and either I've never heard it in my life or it's so unmemorable that I have completely forgotten it!

17. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Not a good year for ME -
    What A Fool Believes - Doobie Brothers

18. woosh1956

woosh1956 Forum Resident

I voted for Blondie, but I should have voted for Herb AlPert, as his tune has only one vote and I like it just as much. That Pina Colada song has to be the most irritating to hear that I can remember.

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

There is a "Change Your Vote" option. :)

20. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Boy, for the first time I honestly can not in good conscience vote for any of these, an incredibly bad year for pop music !

21. woosh1956

woosh1956 Forum Resident

Thanks! I did just that. Now if only one could change "Herb Albert" to "Herb Alpert."

Drifter likes this.
  22. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

23. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Don't Stop - a brilliant MJ/Quincy single. Launched the biggest solo career since Elvis.

24. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

"Good Times", my favourite bassline ever, anyone who doesn't love that song hasn't got a heart! "Heart of Glass" a very close second.

25. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I must've avoided the radio and listened to a lot of records and cassettes in '79 cause I don't recall much about these tunes... Blondie stands out in this list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.