Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're currently at (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Yes, I'm keeping all the physical media but not all the downloads.

2. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Ahh, okay, gotcha. I don't have very many of those, fortunately. ;)

3. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

asdf35 likes this.
  4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

5. Wow, what a long, strange trip it's been. I've now listened to every second of the 139 tracks on the box set, unless there's something in the pre-gaps not available through iTunes (like there was last year, when iTunes cut many song introductions on the Isle of Wight disc).
    This is some great, weird and uneven stuff. It's a mess. It's the Basement Tapes in all their glory. And it's fantastic.

6. HominyRhodes

Congratulations. I wish we had a prize for you.:tiphat:

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  7. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

After taking dogs to the polling station then buying 2CD version on the way home, eat the dogs while you wait for the delivery, all sorted.

subtr and Thelonious_Cube like this.
  8. I want no prize. I just happened to be able to listen to it all before you did, In just a few days that will mean nothing.The music will remain the same and that's what matters, isn't it?

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Shouldn't you specify which Monday?

SolitaryMan likes this.
  10. I can confirm that the familiar endings of "Hills of Mexixo" and "Joshua Gone Barbados" will be there on the official release.

11. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I wanted to take time out of my feverish state to let you know that if you have this before I do, I hate you.

12. I doubt that any unfamiliar version/songs will change anybody's image of these sessions, but at least 80% of the new stuff consist sloppy covers and new songs that need a lot of work.
    Then there are things like "Wild Wolf". It's hardly a masterpiece, but it's a very interesting Dylan song.

13. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Thanks! Are you available for 139 more questions?

Is there talk of "it lingers there" before "The French Girl?" on Disc 2?

14. Right now, I like "Mary Lou, I Love You Too".

Thelonious_Cube and HominyRhodes like this.
  15. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

That was my favorite from the samples, very unique sound.
    Seems like they put a little work into the music on that one.

16. 1) Sure. I have a lot to do, but I'd love to answer questions about this release.
    2) Yes. Clearer than ever, IMO.

17. Moth

Moth fluttering by

How 'bout the bonus track? Is "900 Miles/Confidential" at the end of disc 6?

18. I only have the iTunes version and it's the last track on track 6. Strangely, a messy version of 900 Miles is abruptly turned into a somewhat less messy version of "Confidential", but it still isn't any good. I would label that it as a "bonus track" at best.

19. HominyRhodes

That's one of the tracks I'm really waiting to hear. Along with more than a hundred others, of course.

20. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Do we know yet if the book that contains text and photos in the 6CD set is the same one that is in the 2CD set, just larger print?

23. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

I got my copy of the 6CD set yesterday ......on the whole it's a nice set but instead of leaving things how they were they have mixed it to eliminate the wide stereo mix on boots such as Mixin' Up The Medicine and have sacrificed some bass and organ work. The back of the box has the same photo as the 2cd set..

24. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Strange, don't hear that myself. My box hasn't arrived but listening to the 2 cd set I'm actually surprised how convincing the soundstage is on my system in terms of separation. The bass on This Wheels on Fire is massive.

25. Thanks. Still got to get through until Monday when I storm the record shop. Nearly there.

HominyRhodes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.