Damaged packaging from online stores

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by loki993, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loki993

loki993 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok I ordered the Metallica Death Magnetic 5 lp set from amazon, I know its mastering is bad on it and its not a good representation of Vinyl, but I think the set itself is cool and its a limited edition so I wanted to get one before I couldn't. Plus the price was right and the place only had 3 left....this is a third party fulfilled by amazon..not amazon itself.

First one comes and the box is trashed...not the shipping box the actual box the albums are in....all 4 corners are a bit smashed and the black is rubbed off on all corners. Also the shrinkwrap is torn in multiple places. So I say this isnt acceptable and I contact Amazon everything goes fantastically. I cant speak more highly of the return process. So they say they will refund the one I got and to order another one with next day shipping and they will waive the fee for that too, I have prime, and just send the old one back.

New one comes today..again all 4 corners are damaged though not nearly as badly as the first one and the shrinkwrap is also torn again...though again not nearly as badly this time.

Is this a common thing with LP box sets in the mail? Is the damage due to poor shipping packaging or is this place just sending out old damaged stuff they cant sell in their store?

So here is the dilemma...do I go for third times a charm, though Im starting to see a pattern here, or do I just call this one good, but still contacting amazon to see if they can do something to compensate for the damaged product. Like I said at this point the place only has one left....Im wondering if they are just clearing out the last few that have and they all have damage and thats why theyre not selling.

2. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

I buy all of my new vinyl from Amazon, and my return rate is sitting at about 30%. The monkeys that they have doing their shipping are responsible for the damage issues that I experience, as the boxes are never damaged, but the album covers are often banged up. The only way they are going to learn and improve their process is to be held accountable. So, I would keep sending the item back for a replacement until they get it right. Usually on my returns the problem is resolved with the first replacement that they send me. Don't feel badly about holding them accountable. The bad is all on them, and not on you. Take the time to critique their packaging in the text box, when you do the return, and give specifics, such as packaged too loosely, etc. If Amazon wants to be the biggest and best online retailer in the world, they are going to have to get it right. Part of that is understanding that vinyl purchasers are usually collectors, and collectors are usually particular about the condition of their investment.

3. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

30% return rate.... and that is just for damage... I would be very frustrated.... please note that a company like Amazon should not use badly paid humans (in Germany there are lots of strikes by Ver.di) but rather robots. The work and the conditions they impose on their warehouse workers are awful, not fit for humans and by buying at Amazon we support these conditions.

4. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

If it were me, I'd cancel and find somewhere else to buy it from. I've been amazed at how well some albums are packaged (New Sleater-Kinney box from Sub Pop, for example) from different stores, and how poorly they come from Amazon.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I might pay a little more buying from Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, or Music Direct but I know that my records will arrive safely.

6. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

the audiophile companies are not an option for people in Europe due to shipping fees etc...

SergioRZ likes this.
  7. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

If you have the money/credit available, why not order three at a time, and return the worst two?

8. loki993

Oh I dont feel bad about holding them accountable, thats not the issue at all its the fact that the next one is the last one they have and its probably going to be banged up too when I get it...so is it worth the hassle. Even if I decide to keep this one they're hearing about it.

Yes that could be an option..problem is the set is literally half the price on Amazon as it is everywhere else...I though I was getting a good deal.....I guess not.

9. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

The worst damage I've ever seen to a shipped item - by far - was from Amazon. It was the Hairspray soundtrack on CD. While the CD itself was in perfect shape, the jewelcase was absolutely shattered. Every single piece of the case was broken in at least one place, some of them in several. I'm still wondering 1) exactly what happened to it, since the damage was much too severe to be the result of just being dropped or anything like that, and 2) how the CD managed to escape any damage. Since the CD itself and the accompanying booklet were unharmed, I simply put them in a spare jewelcase I had and didn't bother complaining. But as a result of that experience, I've never used Amazon for vinyl orders.

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Don't get me started.

11. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

It's something that bothers me a lot. It is frustrating to receive an order into disrepair and damaged by poor packing. The best packaging I've seen for online orders are from CDJapan. I've never had to date with them ... a damaged order with Amazon is another story. It's almost constant. Do not buy from Amazon.

12. Amazon's workers are pretty terrible at differentiating high-dollar value items for packing. I was just shipped an extremely limited item by Amazon that arrived damaged due to flimsy packaging. The cost of a small box would have saved Amazon the expense of replacing my $100 item. There are good reasons why Amazon is not profitable at the moment.

13. loki993

So I guess the consensus here is probably just deal with it because trying again inst going to get different results and never buy vinyl from Amazon again.....?

14. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

A'zon isn't the worst at packing/shipping (I'm talking to you... Oldies and GoHastings!) but I'm often startled at the ignorance or just plain carelessness involved when I open a box. Vinyl seems to travel well now that they're using the LP mailers but if you order a few odd-sized items, everything gets thrown in a box and sometimes its a miracle that the contents arrive unscathed. Now, I'm more conscious of what I'm ordering and how it'll will ship when I use A'zon.

I'd also be wary that if you continue to return items to Amazon, they will take note and once you hit a certain target, they will cancel your orders... essentially tagging you as more trouble than you're worth.

15. loki993

Yeah maybe but Ive learned my lesson though at this point...so probably no more box sets from Amazon and no more returns....standard LPs I can find easily at record stores locally who have pretty reasonable prices actually. This was sort of a one off because it was just so much cheaper than anywhere else...but I guess you get what you pay for. As for the album in questions Ive been in contact with them and I think its taken care of. They're giving me a bit off the price because of the damage.

Its just sort of silly because all they would have to do is put a bit of extra bubble wrap in there or peanuts to keep stuff from sliding around in the box and it would probably be fine.

16. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

There are two kinds of stores in this world: those who love vinyl records and know how to handle them... and those for whom vinyl records are just another product and have no clue about what they're doing. ;)

Packaging is an art. Support the artists :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.