Klipsch Cornwall

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johnny P, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny P

Johnny P New Member Thread Starter

These are my favorite speakers. I owned a pair and never should have sold them. They are hard to find . Any ideas?

2. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Seems to be quite a few pairs for sale on eBay. Trouble is transporting such a large speaker.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

You might have a better chance of sourcing a pair if you list your location.

4. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

The best bet is finding some within a distance you're willing to travel. Other than that, the Klipsch forum members have a pair of special containers for shipping Cornwalls that they pass around. The problem is, if you are the last to use them, they're yours to store until someone else needs them.

I'm on the other end of the problem. I'm trying to sell some Lascalas, but I'm not in a metro area, so they're hard to move.

5. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

If you're willing to spend a day driving you can greatly expans your search area. Try looking also on the forums on the Klipsch website. I also had, and loved my Cornwalls but had nowhere to keep them when I took them "offline". After seeing smaller speaker, wife was never going to let these appear again in our living room. Also, if you have the budget you can buy a new pair.

6. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Check Craigslist constantly, for each and every area near where you live and regularly visit (to see family, etc.).

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  7. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

8. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Yup....I own a pair and they will have to pry them from my cold dead fingers! Absolutely love them!

9. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Love them - check out Bob Crites site - you could build some CornScalas if you are crafty.

sunrayjack and utahusker like this.
  10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have purposely been playing my Klipsch Chorus 1's a lot lately and my wife is digging the tube sound, so I get a pass, as long as they're playing. It's when they have been sitting idol for weeks, that she finally notices the small tree trunks that I have planted in our front room! This has been my #1 reason for checking out the Harbeth line lately, as I find them a damn fine (and somewhat smaller) alternative, to the huge Klipsch!

utahusker likes this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

In my book, Bob Crites should be called "The Klipsch God", as it was his new crossovers and diaphrams that I installed in my Chorus 1's, that took them from great to unbelievable sounding!

ddarch, HAmmer and Simon A like this.
  12. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I agree...I obtained his CT-125 hf horns and B-2 type crossovers for my Cornwalls and they just kicked the sound way up to a higher level.

James RD, ddarch, Chris C and 2 others like this.
  13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

they turn up quite frequently. I love my late 70's sequenced S/N...I upgraded Xovers in my Cornwalls, Lascalas and KG4's all one winter. worth every penny.

James RD and ddarch like this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Bob Crites is all you need to know for making great Klipsch even better Klipsch. And yes, Klipsch Chorus are in use in my living room. And they have the Crites titanium diaphragms installed and the Crites crossover rebuilds.

ddarch and Chris C like this.
  15. james

james Summon The Queen

+a few on crites. Got myself in over my head on a crossover rebuild and they saved the day.

16. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Dean G Alk Jr crossovers are pretty descent also.
    [​IMG]

To tune these:
    [​IMG]

17. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I bought mine new in 1976. Production was delayed and I got a phone call from Paul to apologize. So cool.
    I will never ever sell them.

jerol

18. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

So I got some Khorns a while back and they have about the same mid and tweet of the other classic Klipsch speakers. The difference is the lows are more efficient due to the loading of the bass in the corners.

I found that due to the the extension of the mids all the way to six kHz, because of the Alnico magnets of my squeaker, I had too much overlap between the squawker and the tweeters producing a ragged response. I adjusted the crossover points to reduce the overlap, and subsequent impedance dip, (at both crossover points) and all was well.

The crossovers can make all the difference in this situation. These speakers love class A amps once the crossovers are sorted. Most of the music is produced at the micro amp levels so you need very low distortion amps (class A).

19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Hi all.I am a first time poster-long time lurker. I have not had the pleasure of hearing the Cornwalls but I own a 35 year old pair of Lascalas which I updated with new Crites crossovers. I would never part with these speakers for any reason. My advice on finding Cornwalls-if new is too pricey keep checking all used sources and be prepared to travel and haul em-that what I did-rental truck-audio vacation time.

sberger likes this.
  20. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Best sounding speaker at low volume. Great bass presence. Wish I could of listen to my old ones with tubes.

pscreed likes this.
  21. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH has both the Heresy III & the Cornwall III in their store. They have them hooked up to a 35wpc PrimaLuna integrated. Fantastic sound.

22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Some day I will own these (Cornwall, LaScala and Khorn).

23. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

utahusker and James RD like this.
  24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Old Klipsch is great stuff, but definitely loudspeaker science has come a LONG way since then. In particular, there is much better crossover simulation software available. This can help tremendously with the spiky impedance a characteristic of these old horns. Horn design has also advanced tremendously, so newer horn designs *can* sound much better (which doesn't always mean they do). For example, Klispch switched over to Tractrix-expansion horns instead of exponential, supposedly sounding smoother, although the horns are still rectangular which is not the best.

So definitely upgrades to old vintage models could make a big positive difference

25. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

How do Cornwalls differ from Hereseys?I love my Heresey IIs I got a couple years ago off Craigslist for $75.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.